What will bring Tourist Card sanity? $$$ Talks!

Caballero

Jul 8, 2011
[h=3]
From today's DR1 Daily News:
More tourists, spending more and staying mor
e[/h]Meeting and convention tourism should be exempt from the 16% ITBIS tax, proposed Julio Llibre, president of the National Hotel & Tourism Association when speaking during the monthly luncheon of the American Chamber of Commerce. Llibre says that it is time that the country implement tax free shopping for tourists to boost cruise ship and tours into Santo Domingo. Llibre encourages the government to extend the time tourists can stay under their US$10 tourist card beyond the present 30 days and that those that own second homes in the Dominican Republic be allowed to stay up to six months without paying beyond the US$10 entry fee.

Llibre mentioned these and other recommendations that seek to boost tourism but at the same time encourage visitors to stay longer and spend more in the country.

Llibre noted that the average stay for tourists has gone down from 12-14 days to 8-9 days over the last five years.

Llibre made the point that tourism is 20% of the GDP, 30% of export revenues and the industry buys RD$16 billion from the local farming sector. "We are convinced that tourism is the key to create the needed jobs in the short term and reduce the deficit in the balance of payment of the country," he said.

He said there is a need for an extraordinary promotion effort abroad, local programs that are consistent with improving quality of the product, and enhancing the cultural component as well as for increased attention to the local problems that affect quality of life and the surroundings in the tourism destinations.

He said that the number of hotels rooms is enough, and that what is needed is to improve the quality of these to achieve the goal of 10 million tourists. He said that there are 66,088 rooms hotel in 2011, with an average occupancy of 74%.

He also called for lower interest rates, reinforcing judicial security, avoiding corruption in courts and dealing with property title problems, labor disputes and the tourism transport issues.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Juan Llibre has expressed this position at the right time:
Non-residents-tax free!
Non-resident property owners up to 6 months stay without hassles

The tax free element for excursions and tours is brilliant since it makes the tourist experience more affordable. Tourists are no longer just there for the plucking...there has to be some value...another smart move.

One idea that I heard today which is brilliant and which has been suggested but not acted upon is this.
A tourist saves all of his receipts. Upon leaving he presents them to a special teller at the airport and gets back all of his VAT taxes!!! Many might forget this or not have all of the receipts which then becomes found money for the government! Those that do, go away with a smile!
What makes sense to this is that the retailer does not need to change his accounting or his receipt programs....Thousands of points of sale versus maybe 5 government offices at airport or docks...

But I can't see the government giving back money, even if it makes sense...can you??

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Come on "HB",I admire your optomistic outlook after 50 years here!
If it makes "sense", it ain't gonna happen.
How stupid for the gov. to think that making tourists/and many others like me,who spend millions of pesos living here, should be forced out because they are not residents????
How Dominican.
It's better to screw you out of 100 pesos today,rather than get 10 peos a day for 20 yeears.
People deserve the government they get!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCC

captboink

Mar 3, 2011
Well said CC, seems to be the attitude of most of the locals from top to bottom
, hey.

Come on "HB",I admire your optomistic outlook after 50 years here!
If it makes "sense", it ain't gonna happen.
How stupid for the gov. to think that making tourists/and many others like me,who spend millions of pesos living here, should be forced out because they are not residents????
How Dominican.
It's better to screw you out of 100 pesos today,rather than get 10 peos a day for 20 yeears.
People deserve the government they get!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited:

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
JULIO LIBRE for president !. Finally someone who understands economics and is not a closet commie/fascist/statist !!.

This is exactly the right direction to take. Follow his recommendations and watch the money and investment poor into the country as opposed to out.

somewhere PICHARDO and his ilk are fuming !

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
I think Canada does that as well, tourists upon exiting can present their receipts and get a refund on the taxes.

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
It would be very helpful to confirm what the tourist card limits are- valid 30 or 60 days ? And you can only renew one time ? Does anyone know ? One thing I do know is you can only renew in the capital- I did it- it was fast and easy.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Everything I have seen so far indicates that the new tourist card is good for 60 days and can be renewed once for another 60 days. I have seen conflicting reports that indicate it can be renewed at a local airport. I am sure there will be more to come on the tourist card situation as it unfolds. It is now August when the new regulations are about to be enforced.

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
I was told they can be renewed at the Immigration desk in the airport, for the north coast in the Puerto Plata airport once a month. So we have received differing renditions.:cross-eye

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I was told they can be renewed at the Immigration desk in the airport, for the north coast in the Puerto Plata airport once a month. So we have received differing renditions.:cross-eye
That has already been attempted, and failed.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Rule haven't been implemented yet!

Olly and the team

Hooray, well done squirt, you managed to 'dislike' a post and have a legit reason, well done. Now, what's the excuse for all these over three days, lol. Simple things please little minds. Carry on, I quite enjoy the attention you are giving me, a little perverted but what ever tickles your tulip, cheers.

08-04-2012
08:33 PM - Olly clicked Dislikes for this post: Moving to Santo Domingo for 4 Months by Givadogahome

• 08:20 PM - Olly clicked Dislikes for this post: What will bring Tourist Card sanity? $$$ Talks! by Givadogahome
  • 12:26 AM - Olly clicked Dislikes for this post: The British embassy. by Givadogahome
  • 12:25 AM - Olly clicked Dislikes for this post: The British embassy. by Givadogahome

08-03-2012

• 10:59 PM - Olly clicked Dislikes for this post: overstay fees by Givadogahome
  • 08:35 PM - Olly clicked Dislikes for this post: Beware Hotel guests with children. by Givadogahome
  • 08:32 PM - Olly clicked Dislikes for this post: Ever wonder how theives can steal and no one sees anything? byGivadogahome
  • 08:32 PM - Olly clicked Dislikes for this post: Ever wonder how theives can steal and no one sees anything? byGivadogahome
  • 08:27 PM - Olly clicked Dislikes for this post: Is this a scorpion or is (was) it mimicking one? by Givadogahome
  • 01:29 AM - Givadogahome clicked Likes for this post: New migration law by Seamonkey
  • 12:02 AM - Olly clicked Dislikes for this post: Just got back from my first... lots seen, few surprises byGivadogahome
  • 12:01 AM - Givadogahome clicked Likes for this post: Don't try to speak street Dominican! by Taino808

08-02-2012

• 11:55 PM - Olly clicked Dislikes for this post: New migration law by Givadogahome
  • 10:48 PM - Olly clicked Dislikes for this post: Flights to England from POP and back by Givadogahome
  • 10:48 PM - Olly clicked Dislikes for this post: Flights to England from POP and back by Givadogahome
  • 10:38 PM - Olly clicked Dislikes for this post: Flights to England from POP and back by Givadogahome

Some might say it is rather childish, but hey, I can send you some of my dirt underwear to sniff if you like and it isn't actually a maturity problem on your part and say you do have a perversion with me?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Olly no likey you....................lol

B in Santiago

Haha, it's a bit weird, but I have clan suspicions. All good fun for me, for someone to make the effort, lol. But I prefer birthdays:cheeky: cards n beers n all, but these are appreciated, just the same, shows I make an impact on them.

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
Back to the topic- I'm certain there is only one place in the country to renew- in Santo Domingo

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The Department of Taxes new website where you can purchase the tourist card online says that the tourist card is valid only for 30 days.
About the Tourist Card

The Department of Migration says that tourists extending their stay from 30 days to 3 months need pay RD$800 penalty. So that would mean the tourist card only lasts 30 days.
Direccion General de Migracion

From what I understand, and I can confirm this on Monday, the Ministry of Tourism had reached an agreement with Migration so that the tourist card was valid for 60 days. But apparently this has now somehow been changed back to the 30 days.

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
[h=3]
From today's DR1 Daily News:
More tourists, spending more and staying mor
e[/h]Meeting and convention tourism should be exempt from the 16% ITBIS tax, proposed Julio Llibre, president of the National Hotel & Tourism Association when speaking during the monthly luncheon of the American Chamber of Commerce. Llibre says that it is time that the country implement tax free shopping for tourists to boost cruise ship and tours into Santo Domingo. Llibre encourages the government to extend the time tourists can stay under their US$10 tourist card beyond the present 30 days and that those that own second homes in the Dominican Republic be allowed to stay up to six months without paying beyond the US$10 entry fee.

Llibre mentioned these and other recommendations that seek to boost tourism but at the same time encourage visitors to stay longer and spend more in the country.

Llibre noted that the average stay for tourists has gone down from 12-14 days to 8-9 days over the last five years.

Llibre made the point that tourism is 20% of the GDP, 30% of export revenues and the industry buys RD$16 billion from the local farming sector. "We are convinced that tourism is the key to create the needed jobs in the short term and reduce the deficit in the balance of payment of the country," he said.

He said there is a need for an extraordinary promotion effort abroad, local programs that are consistent with improving quality of the product, and enhancing the cultural component as well as for increased attention to the local problems that affect quality of life and the surroundings in the tourism destinations.

He said that the number of hotels rooms is enough, and that what is needed is to improve the quality of these to achieve the goal of 10 million tourists. He said that there are 66,088 rooms hotel in 2011, with an average occupancy of 74%.

He also called for lower interest rates, reinforcing judicial security, avoiding corruption in courts and dealing with property title problems, labor disputes and the tourism transport issues.

So, tourists who stay over 14 days do not need to go to a Dominican consulate in their home country and get a visa starting in August?