tax exemptions for shipping electronics to DR

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a little bird from EPS tells me there is a tax exemption for bringing to DR some goodies. we are talking medium range tablets and security cameras. it is in for EPS and other couriers.
i cannot find any news stories to verify this but my inside source is so sure miesposo bought an asus tablet already, it is being shipped now. so i will let you know how it went by next week :)
but i am sure you guys are better at searching the net and extracting info from your insiders so maybe someone could chip in with some confirmed noticias...

Jan 17, 2009
What type of taxes DV8? A tablet, being computer equipment, would only pay ITBIS. Is the ITBIS the exemption, or duties like security cameras would pay?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, i think i did not clarify. what i meant is that you can bring mid range tablet that costs over 200 dollars and pay no aduanas on that. normally shipping of anything over 200 bucks is taxed but they are offering now no customs on tablets/cameras.
i did not make myself clear...

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Good info dv8! Best bet would probably be to contact customs directly and find out. I am very curious...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"PP",contacting customs,WHY????
You would not get the same story twice.
The ONLY customs agent that really counts,is the one who examines your package,and weather ,or not,he got laid the night before,it's given that he got drunk.
CC

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
"PP",contacting customs,WHY????
You would not get the same story twice.
The ONLY customs agent that really counts,is the one who examines your package,and weather ,or not,he got laid the night before,it's given that he got drunk.
CC

NO, no, no..this is not true at all. there is so many myths, half-truths, heresay, miss-information and conspiracy theories out there about Dominican customs and taxes that you can fill whole encyclopedias up with all of the crazy, absurd, and frightening stories perpetuating themselves out there.

Ok, listen, the way it works here is very simple. Trust me, you pay custom taxes here according to a very easy to understand, extremely clear and concise, ighly transparent, finely tuned, spelled out method of madness. it goes something like this: depending on whether or not there is a full moon out, the moon is in the Seventh House, Jupiter is aligned with Mars, the tempature is between 75F and 78F, water pressure is working, power outages have been minumal, the A/C is on, gas prices have not fluxtuated to wildly, electricty is working, mistresses are at the standby, you may pay as little as on 98 percent above cost or as much as 100 percent above cost.

Formulas really don't get much more transparent and easier to understand than that.

FRank

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
In June 2012 the custom import rates were recently updated. Security cameras usually pay 20% of FOB price +16% ITBIS. If it comes from the US - DR CAFTA would bring it down 4 to 6 %. If you sent me the BTN number which should be on the the commercial invoice I can tell you how much you pay.
Tablets (ipads) only pay ITBIS

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the tablet has arrived. total shipping cost from miami: 398 pesos. total customs: 0 pesos.

Jan 17, 2009
Ok, then DV8, you didn't pay ITBIS. A tablet is computer equipment; it wouldn't have paid any customs anyway. I brought an iMac in January (over $1,000), and paid transport and ITBIS. No duty taxes (i.e., customs).

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
DR CAFTA and Electronics shipped from the US

In June 2012 the custom import rates were recently updated. Security cameras usually pay 20% of FOB price +16% ITBIS. If it comes from the US - DR CAFTA would bring it down 4 to 6 %. If you sent me the BTN number which should be on the the commercial invoice I can tell you how much you pay.
Tablets (ipads) only pay ITBIS

DR CAFTA only applies if the products were MADE IN THE US. Very few electronic products fall under DR CAFTA.