Is the RD becoming the next Jamaica?

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
I'm not trying to stir the pot but years ago after visiting the DR on several occasions, making the effort to go off the beaten path, trying to keep up with the social dynamics since ( read: corruption, prosperity, governmental progress, environmental progress, crime and well being of the general populace and tourists) I made a statement here that the RD was similar, in my experience, to Jamaica in the 80"s. Do you agree or disagree and why? Is the RD becoming the arm pit Jamaica has become?

The cultures are different, I know, but is the de facto gestalt similar?

I'm interested in hearing rational comparisons. Especially from the long time expats.

Last edited:

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
HMMM good Question Jaimaica has cleanned up alot since the 80s for sure but I will say this I remember how back in the 80s the jaimaicans got into the USA Canada and England and took over the drug trades and caused a bunch of trouble where ever they went. To me it seems domincans are like that now where they go they set up shop and are always into something shady ( Not all Domincans) look at Argentina domincans where able to travel there visa free but due to domincans getting in trouble there (prostitution, drugs etc etc) they will require a visa soon. Even in my country where men have married wopmen they meet in Sosua or Boca Chica have set up shop and practicing thier trade there. Look how many Domincans are getting deported back here from America. I know a person locked up on the east coast and he tells me his prison is full of Domincans. You have a point it looks like the DR is headed down the road of Jaimaica back in the 80s !

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Jamaicas leaders may not have been 100% Saints but they are hardly the reason for the rapid decline and socioeconomic tensions that ripped the Country nearly asunder, circa 1980. The legacy of a former leader there tells it like it is:

[video=youtube;YoIJPwfsbqg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoIJPwfsbqg[/video]

The lessons are there for all to see but apparently the Dominican leadership thinks that it can do the same thing, the same way as it was done in Jamaica and come up with a different result. Maybe they think that their population being 5x that of Jamaica makes them "Too big to fail". They'd better think again.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Jamaicas leaders may not have been 100% Saints but they are hardly the reason for the rapid decline and socioeconomic tensions that ripped the Country nearly asunder, circa 1980. The legacy of a former leader there tells it like it is:

[video=youtube;YoIJPwfsbqg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoIJPwfsbqg[/video]

greydread, thank you very much for posting

The lessons are there for all to see but apparently the Dominican leadership thinks that it can do the same thing, the same way as it was done in Jamaica and come up with a different result. Maybe they think that their population being 5x that of Jamaica makes them "Too big to fail". They'd better think again.

greydread, thank you very much for posting that clip. maybe some guys that believe the IMF is your benevolent uncle Bernie will see what the realities are. have a nice day.