Flights to England from POP and back

Macy Kai

Jul 7, 2012
Does anyone know where I can find flights to the UK from Puerta Plata and back perhaps two weeks later? When I search I am only able to find flights from the UK to here!
I wanted to price up the cost of visiting the UK.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Does anyone know where I can find flights to the UK from Puerta Plata and back perhaps two weeks later? When I search I am only able to find flights from the UK to here!

I unuderstand the deal with BA starting sheduled flights to/from PC excluded TA from picking up in DR as they used to do.

www.jetairfly.be offers flights to Brussels starting at 199 Euro. These are from Santo Domingo.

Also French and German airlines at slightly greater cost.

yapask1

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
You can not get a flight ending in DR, you are not a resident. No airlines from the UK can work around this now, in the past yes, but now is neigh on impossible.

sunlover23

Sep 13, 2005

There is no longer a licence for charter companies to allow flights DR UK DR.Occasionally if seats are available into the UK ,you can get a ticket from Thomas Cook in POP,even though the UK call centres will tell you this is no longer allowed.This is usually one way and then to return to the DR you have to buy a return flight from the UK,even if you want to only use half of it.One ways are not possible from the UK.

You can however buy a scheduled ticket DR UK DR but they are not cheap and will often take you via other countries first and involves a much longer journey.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
You are a resident aren't you? Would be different for a none resident.

I booked over the internet - no problem. Jetairfly just asked for passport. Theoretically as Thailand you should have an onward ticket for immigration if non resident. You could get one and get it refunded later or a $100 dollars or so ticket to Miami and write it off.

yapask1

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i was never checked upon flying back to DR until my last trip to europe - i had to present residence card upon check-in.

macy, your possible route will depend on preferences: you want the cheapest? the fastest? most luggage? least plane changes? i flew to london with iberia, from SD via madrid. my family usually does that or air france, also from SD. air france has the biggest luggage allowance so it pays off if you travel less frequently. 2x25kg is the best you can ever get and is a real blessing. iberia tends to be a bit cheaper.

you could also fly via USA, you do not need a visa. or start in POP, fly airberlin to dusseldorf/munich and then london.
i personally prefer flying all the way with one airline: in case of delays they have an obligation to help you out with the next available flight.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
The only reasonably priced way I have found to do this is to get a one-way via a European destination and book another flight or train to London, then buy a return ticket (and not use the return part) back to the DR with Thomson or Thomas Cook. I did this last year when Jetairfly was flying from POP and no questions asked about my lack of residency. Don't know if it has changed since.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
I paid 450 euros return jetairfly.be plus about 150 pounds for eurostar - total under 550 pounds. I could have got the eurostar cheaper or BA to Brussels. When I was researching prices this was good value. AF I think goes to Punta Cana. Air France was something like 900 pounds. Excess baggage over 25 kilos was charged at 15 Euros a kilo on my trip.

Eurostar has few delays.

yapask1

i was never checked upon flying back to DR until my last trip to europe - i had to present residence card upon check-in.

macy, your possible route will depend on preferences: you want the cheapest? the fastest? most luggage? least plane changes? i flew to london with iberia, from SD via madrid. my family usually does that or air france, also from SD. air france has the biggest luggage allowance so it pays off if you travel less frequently. 2x25kg is the best you can ever get and is a real blessing. iberia tends to be a bit cheaper.

you could also fly via USA, you do not need a visa. or start in POP, fly airberlin to dusseldorf/munich and then london.
i personally prefer flying all the way with one airline: in case of delays they have an obligation to help you out with the next available flight.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yanandu, all is up to a traveller. last i checked (may) AF still offered 2x25kg on transatlantic flights, real bargain, if you ask me. i prefer to have peace of mind and travel for more rather than spend days on my journey. to some people time counts - they may not have many days off work.

i travel to poland, to a city very close to a german border, just 150km from berlin. if i travel from SD it takes me exactly 24hr from leaving home in POP to arriving to my parent's house in PL. last time i took airberlin from POP and the trip took me 17 hours. you cannot do any less. and god help me if i had to do more than 24hrs. i did once when my plane from SD was delayed, i missed connection in paris. but AF has 5 flights to berlin a day so they put me on the next one. i checked the price when i was waiting at the airport - 800 euro for just that one flight (it was 23rd december).

again, it is up to the OP: whether she wants cheap but long and exhausting or expensive but safer. she is lucky to be able to fly via USA, that gives even more option as you can fly from POP to NYC daily. and NYC-london is also a busy route.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
??????
i was flying from germany to DR - one way ticket, from their point of view as i was going back to DR. i had to present the residency at the check-in. so it is not only UK.

but anyways, OP can fly one way to england (scheduled flight) and come back with return (UK-POP-UK) charter. without using the return part, obviously.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Certainly everyones circumstances are different and this was reference the UK. I do not find a 2 hour eurostar journey very long or exhausting. I think the 2nd bag has been dropped from voyager class to DR on Air France.

There are options presented in this thread and elsewhere and I hope the variety of information is useful.

yapask1

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I'm just wondering if the OP starts the residency visa process by making the App in the UK before returning, I'd that not sufficient for her to buy a one way? The application being in process? Bring ar the or way flights from Brussels are so cheap, even paying to start the process on top will be cheaper than buying a return.

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
You can fly to Gatwick via Madrid with AirEuropa from Santo Domingo. That way they check your luggage right through. I usually go to Madrid with Air Europa and then take an Easyjet flight from there to my nearest UK airport. It works out cheaper and more convenient for me. You do have to reclaim your luggage in Madrid, but it's all quite easy and in the same building. My next attempt is with Jet Blue from POP to JFK and then with Virgin to Heathrow. It was by far the cheapest and I am told the service is excellent, so we shall see. I hate going through JFK, I have to say. You have to walk miles and some of the staff are very snotty for no reason. When flying back, they have all asked to see my proof of residency.