Help! Taxes on Containers!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Can anyone here who has brought in a container in the last few years chime in with how much taxes you ended up paying.
I know that it's subjective, I know there's no rhyme or reason, I know that the amounts may differ greatly but...

I am having severe anxiety that I don't even know a range. Like is it hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands?

Anyone who has shipped a 20' or 40' container in the last few years, I would appreciate hearing how much you ended up paying in taxes.
Thanks,

SHALENA

My shipping company tells me I can do puerta a puerta and avoid them but they are taking a long time to get back to me with the puerta a puerta price and my stuff needs to go out next week.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My 40' container arrived January 2009 but I was an arriving resident. If I recall correctly, you will not be an arriving resident.

If ttrue, follow your shipper's advice and go door to door, you should avoid all (or most) taxes.

Talk to Wendoline at Hispaniola freight in SD www.hispaniolafreight.com she does this for a living.

Good luck - the journey starts, huh ?

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Thanks WW.

This sh*t is getting on my nerves now.

I am completely exhausted

SHALENA

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
its not that its hard, just very trying , time consuming and annoying.

Once you close that container door - life will be good.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Can anyone here who has brought in a container in the last few years chime in with how much taxes you ended up paying.
I know that it's subjective, I know there's no rhyme or reason, I know that the amounts may differ greatly but...

I am having severe anxiety that I don't even know a range. Like is it hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands?

Anyone who has shipped a 20' or 40' container in the last few years, I would appreciate hearing how much you ended up paying in taxes.
Thanks,

SHALENA

My shipping company tells me I can do puerta a puerta and avoid them but they are taking a long time to get back to me with the puerta a puerta price and my stuff needs to go out next week.

If you are not due for the one time exclusion, it might be better to find someone who gets the exclusion and share a container.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If you are not due for the one time exclusion, it might be better to find someone who gets the exclusion and share a container.

She needs to be "on the high seas" in a week.

BTW, when you arrive on that exclusion, they randomly call out your packing list for you to identify the piece(s) and show them to the official.
Tricky to do when you have soembody elses belongings.

I wouldn't suggest jeopardizing that tax free entry.
But thats just me !?

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Shelena,

I imported aa 40 foot container in February 2012. With my residency, I didn't have to pay taxes or customs, but I have the paperwork that shows what they would have been -- a total of RD$88,688.69 -- about half duty and half tax. I did have to pay about RD$8,000 for a desk they said was "commercial, not personal." PM me if you have more questions.

Judy

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Thanks. I spoke with the shopping company this morning and even though the puerta a puerta is more upfront, I will save in the long run from surprises and I also don't have to go to the Capital as I would have with the container. Right now I am up for whatever is more convenient for me. I just want the whole process over with.
I don't have residency so I'm paying out of the a$$ for that anyway but I wouldn't have had time to get it before the move.

SHALENA

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Correct, w/ the residency you must make more than 1 trip to SD -- a real pain in the A$$
The only good thing for me wasw that i had my car in athat container.... happy to see it arrive safely

Stick w/ the door to door - you get the VIP/Prefered rate... should be much less.

Jamie from Canada

Aug 15, 2012
More Questions Regarding Duty & Taxes

Shelena,

I imported aa 40 foot container in February 2012. With my residency, I didn't have to pay taxes or customs, but I have the paperwork that shows what they would have been -- a total of RD$88,688.69 -- about half duty and half tax. I did have to pay about RD$8,000 for a desk they said was "commercial, not personal." PM me if you have more questions.

Judy

We have a residency card and we are going to ship a 20 foot cantainer. In the container we are bring are 2008 Ford Escape and filling the remainder of the container with a few house hold goods. We were in touch with a Customs Broker.

Here is what they sent me. Does this sound correct ? Does anyone know if the things that are not covered will cost me loads od money. I'm concerned that they will green-go me.

Arriving via port of Rio Hainaor Caucedo in Santo Domingo for delivery in Puerto Plata.

1x20 container with 1500 LBS HHG + 1 automobile**

Flat charge USD 1,900.00

** Automobile will be delivered outside arrival port.

Above rate excludes additional port charges, such as:
- Taxes/duties
- Storage charges
- Demurrage charges
- Chasis rental
- Shuttle service at the time of delivery

Once shipment arrives it is inspected by customs. We always recommend clients presence at this time.
Then customs proceeds to tell the amount to be paid for taxes.
At this moment so should go to customs to apply for the reduction on taxes. They do a little interview
to you and then we haver to wait for the documents grating the reduction.
This process may take several days (2,3,4).
Please have in mind that shipment may incur in additional port charges mentioned above.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Use Caucedo if you can.
Who is your broker at the RD end/ (see my Hispan iola comment above if you need one)

You will be taxed on the car - discounted rate but still taxed.

Definitely be there when they open it - I don't think they'll open it w/o you present.

After the car tax, you'll need a licence (matricula) another $2000 or so for first timers.

You'll need to be in SD for the shipment, again for the car import tax and again for the matricula (unless you can do it in POP)

After the car tax is paid, you can drive for a period before the matricula.
You don't need to ship to POP, the household goods can be moved to a smaller truck for the POp delivery (saves money)

Household goods s/b tax exempt - car may be 50% off regular tax.
They will apply their own value to the vehicle, regardless of your cost.

KATIEJAY

Aug 20, 2007
Shelena,

Judy

Hi Judy..
Just wondering if you had a vehicle included with your shipping? We have not started residency yet..early next year but want to iron out the wrinkles ..are you in Puerto Plata area ..where did you ship from?? We are in Canada..
Do you have any recommendations as for a Customs Broker?? any help or advice on this is greatly appreciated.
We have a 2011 Jeep Wrangler and want to figure if it's worth it to bring in the container..Thanks..

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
KJ,
I brought my car w/ my container, and thought it was worth it.
You must have owned the car for one year and it must be less than 5 yrs old.

There are extensive threads on this.

You should have a broker assist you with the export and then will need another here for the import.

I have suggested all my contacts and ideas here (Caucedo, Benchmark, Hispaniola).
Benchmark may not do Canada, but should have a name for you.

If you use the search, you'll get all your answers quickly.....

Good luck.
WW

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
oh girl no preparation by getting the advice long ago Shame on you !!! Lol Door to door may need to do yoga for a few weeks

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Hi Judy..
Just wondering if you had a vehicle included with your shipping? We have not started residency yet..early next year but want to iron out the wrinkles ..are you in Puerto Plata area ..where did you ship from?? We are in Canada..
Do you have any recommendations as for a Customs Broker?? any help or advice on this is greatly appreciated.
We have a 2011 Jeep Wrangler and want to figure if it's worth it to bring in the container..Thanks..

I did not ship a car. Mine was a Lexus hybrid and not yet paid for.... I am in the Puerto Plata area but my container went to Santa Domingo (Hania) from Baltimore Maryland US (lived in Virginia, DC Metro Area). I used Bekins International who subcontracted to Unipack Global Relocation. The DR handler was La Rosa Del Monte Express in Santo Domingo - 809-685-6256. They brought everything to my house. I didn't go the cheapest route but it was the smoothest in my situation. I had my stuff in storage for a year before bringing it here... PM me if you want more details.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My first quote was around $14,000 from Philadelphia to RD from United Van Lines Int'l Dept). I practically fainted.

By the time I finished, after some research, it was under $5,000.
40' container.

I paid $300 or so to have it packed professionally for departure.
After clearing at Caucedo, it was $750 to have the furniture transferred from the container and delivered to Cabrera (north coast) by Hispaniola Freight. (La Rosa del Monte is a well known company too)

Dock charges were minimal, other than the back and forth for the car (Aduana, matricula, etc) and declarations, it wasn't too bad.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Yes, I figure I paid about 1/3 o 1/2 more than necessary because of my lack of experience and lack of Spanish and for using the US company to arrange everything. Be smarter than I was and arrange everything yourself and save money....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, I figure I paid about 1/3 o 1/2 more than necessary because of my lack of experience and lack of Spanish and for using the US company to arrange everything. Be smarter than I was and arrange everything yourself and save money....

Shipments like this, for most people, are a 'once in a lifetime' thing. Shippers know that the customer is uneducated and therefore they can charge more for their expertise.

I talked to a friend of mine who imports/exports various things for his work and went to them.
They do everything from the paperwork standpoint. That was Benchmark Export.

At the RD end, I found Hispaniola Freight and Wendoline, who spoke English .

You need some diligence and a bit of luck.
My luck was that Wendoline was from Cabrera - my destination. She held my hand all the way, including accompanying me to get the matricula.

I spoke NO Spanish at the time, so KJ - you'll make it.
Where in Canada are you? At present, I'm on Lake Huron