Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bermyboy View Post
    Chip are you a civil engineer in the DR?
    In the DR and Florida. I'm at PUCMM getting a masters in construction administration. When you are ready to build a house i will do it for you cheaper and better than anyone else - guaranteed. A su orden.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Great man hopefully in a few years or so Ill be building depends on when I get back to work ! Ill hit you up and keep you to your promise @ Chip

3. Likes Chip liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    in the dr and florida. I'm at pucmm getting a masters in construction administration. When you are ready to build a house i will do it for you cheaper and better than anyone else - guaranteed. A su orden.
    nice!!! I love this thread.

5. Likes Chip liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu View Post
    I was just about to say what you just said, the whole problem is yes Republica Dominicana is facing a bubble in the housing market and tourist area due to the financial situation else where. That is still a small percent compared to the income the drug trade brings in, the crack down has made people think twice about flossing their money. Money spent in buying Ferrari's, Maserati, Aston Martins, Porsche, Brantley's and etc. I used to remember a friend in Santo Domingo used to tell me his compadre doesn't drive in his fancy cars anymore only when the (paletero's); MLB Player's come back so they could blend in apparently they have been under surveillance that's how the Anti-Drug force Agency opperates and can distinguish between a Drug dealer and a Baseball player when the likes of Ortiz, Martinez and Co. are not on the Island you see less exotic cars. The drug trade is recession proof, like back in Miami in the 80's when the whole country was in recession in parts of Miami to purchase a Benz would take you 2 months due to the demand you were put on a waiting list, the same goes for Rolex watches they were not enough to go around. I have heard the same and people have come to a conclusion that these traffickers buy exotic cars from the dealership, that same money ends up in the hands of someone that ends up buying a condo, Yacht, Clothes, Jewelry for example now the money is in the system circulating like clock work. So if you cut of the circulation you are basically cutting off the hand that feeds you.

Just to clear things up i am against drug use and the sale of narcotics but statistics show the relation between an economist point of view.

look the drug trade that we are talking about is PLANT based and it is very stupid to think that you can make war on a plant.

it is just a question of whether or not the Dominicans, like pix and nails, who THINK they hold the island from Santiago can do so once all the beach fronts are strongly held and privatized in foreign hands, which is swiftly the reality. The French are making huge incursions. The Russians have cyrillic signs up. The Italians hold vast portions. The russian mob is well in place in santo domingo.. you can see it from the architecture... Most of what is going up here is not Dominican architecture but either mediterranean or eastern europe. You can SEE it.

But the question lies in what the busts have been about in Bani and Bonao.. will they be able to hold the crack out of Monte Christi? CAN THEY HOLD HAITI?

when i was a kid in greenwich village (see i come by this all very honestly.. born in a liberal hotbed) .. my mom drew us a map of where we could walk which included ALL of little Italy which was completely mob controlled since no child ever got hurt in mob territory.

but the problem here is that pix and nails and lots of the diaspora are not DOMINICANS, they are internationals. They all hve us Passports, us condos, US education, US salaries... )or spanish, germans,italian, whatever... they are the 1 percent. And, honestly, I have not seem that they give a damn about the rest of us.

which makes them like the 1 percent anywhere.. they can go anywhere and be safe.... if not here, then Aruba or the British Virgins because they have the money.

IT does not seem to matter to them if the island falls.

as long as the rich stay rich

7. Likes bermyboy liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

we have ONE lone senator who speaking the truth about the drug trade.... everyone else, one can only assume, is on the take.

certainly it does not cost much to bribe the police here

nor can they, the dominicans and minustah, hold the border to Haiti

which is full of small air strips.

the US can do NOTHING except cooperate with local authorities at the airports

they have no authority.

So if the business community thinks that it can hold this piece of ground, while the columbians and russians and mexicans open up the crack cocaine in the streets of Moca like the Dominicans did in Harlem, I think that they are mistaken.

There is a Quaker community in Costa Rica which will be my back up.

what is yours---

because unless you, Pix, and you, Nails, and the likes of you, wake up to the reality that i have seen here in five years of covering this island on guaguas and conchos, you are NOT going to be able to hold out against what is coming at you.

The NEW YORK city police cannot control the Russian mob.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

sometimes when i am here i think i am watching a rerun of Evita

with the vincinis hiring patton and boggs to try to have the price of sugar stopped from being shown in the usa which only gave it MORE publicity

with all the men sitting on the morning tv shows talking at hot air

with the women all doing their nails and having too many kids and then spoiling them

with the lousy education when children are your most important assest

with you GORGEOUS country which you do NOTHING to promote for eco tourism because you do not even know how to camp

thinking that if your consul in France has a jet and a private yacht, well, sure, he earned it

thinking that it is ok to rob from the State or the IMF or whomever because the internationals and the Christians and the americans will take care of your poor with the silly ngo merry go round which never gets anyone out of poverty. Then screaming that somehow Haiti was dUMPED on you when you know, and i know, that haitians BUILT this country.

so really, those of us who live here are just

shooting

up

flares

maybe you can see them from miami

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

El negocio de los mall - DiarioLibre.com

Cesar
    El problema sera cuando los pequeños y medianos empresarios tengan que cerrar sus negocios, osea que damos 4 mil empleo, pero quitamos muchos mas................... esperemos el tiempo.

Efren
    Entiendo que todo esto esta bien, sin embargo lo que estamos haciendo mas rico a empresas extrangeras, que lo mas que hacen es sacar capitales nuestros. Otra cosa esto hace que los pequeños comercios cierren sus puertas y queden una gran cantidad de personas sin empleo. Normalmente estos centro comerciales duran un año de auge y luego las mayorias de las tiendan cierran por que no pueden soportan el gastos. Felicito al que realizo este levantamiento, pero tambien debe hacer uno de cuantos locales cerrados hay en todas las plazas.

salbado
    Hagase ahora un inventario de los comercios establecidos y operando en esos "mall" y vuelvase a hacerlo en un año y en dos años. Luego hagan las comparaciones. Además, si se evalua el efecto negativo en el resto de los comercios medianos y pequeños que no pueden cubrir las rentas y costes de los nuevos "malls", veremoms que la cantidad de estos comercios que cierran es enorme y se llevan con ellos una gran cantidad de desempleados que nunca son absorbidos por los comerciios de los "malls". No desaprobamos los "malls", pero si creemos que ha faltado planificación y muchos van a fracasar.

11. Likes NY-DR Commuter, Criss Colon liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainannie View Post
    sometimes when i am here i think i am watching a rerun of Evita

with the vincinis hiring patton and boggs to try to have the price of sugar stopped from being shown in the usa which only gave it MORE publicity

with all the men sitting on the morning tv shows talking at hot air

with the women all doing their nails and having too many kids and then spoiling them

with the lousy education when children are your most important assest

with you GORGEOUS country which you do NOTHING to promote for eco tourism because you do not even know how to camp

thinking that if your consul in France has a jet and a private yacht, well, sure, he earned it

thinking that it is ok to rob from the State or the IMF or whomever because the internationals and the Christians and the americans will take care of your poor with the silly ngo merry go round which never gets anyone out of poverty. Then screaming that somehow Haiti was dUMPED on you when you know, and i know, that haitians BUILT this country.

so really, those of us who live here are just

shooting

up

flares

maybe you can see them from miami
    I don't wear the same rose coloured glasses as Pichardo, but neither do I see the country through your lenses. In the 14 years that I have been coming to the DR I have noticed both negative developments and positive ones. Many of the children I met, whose parents didn't finish high-school have finished University and have reasonably good jobs. Most Dominicans I know have less than 4 children, but far too many of them have a spouse working over-seas. As far as Haitians, they built the DR like Mexicans built the USA, otherwise - cheap and useful but not escentual.
    Fully agree with you that the majority of Dominicans are clueless about camping.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Pichardo it is not hard for me to grasp at all...I do hope there is the trickle down effect. I am sure you are well aware of the rising costs of the basics such as food, fuel, clothing, etc...We have a friend that owns a colmado, works 15-16 hrs a day to put his 2 children through school and put food on the table. What he does not spend on that he puts back into his business. Those hardworking people are the ones who need to benefit from some of this progress, not just the promises that are made. I am all for progress but you can't forget about the "little people". While the new malls, etc will of course attract a certain portion of the population there is also a portion of the population that will never see these malls or travel to these areas. Seeing these sights are not their concern, they are too worried about how they are going to eat tonight.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bermyboy View Post
    Im not disputing his knowledge Bob im disputing his assesment that all is good in the DR and that malls and projects will fix the problems that are really effecting the country that like he said in one thread that the police only need up to date crusiers and patrol bikes to become more effective I really do not want to know about his personal life it is none of my business . I just thought the way he talked he lived here but he does not. Anyway Pichardo I apologise for the prick comment but my friend is not a liar and I have seen evidence proving what he told me. I also know how it feels to have foreginer in your country talking crap this is why I do not disrespect the DR I only repeat what I see read and experience. No country is perfect but to ignore the obivious is just plain idiocy.
    I would like to qualify what I said before about managing contracts. If a contractor is not careful they can basically end up "financing" a project during the life of the project and if it turns out that the stop their work after thirty days because of unpayment then they would be of course on the losing end and then some. Avoiding this scenario is a common topic taught in construction administration (Earned value management). I imagine if a contractor puts himself in this position it's because they don't understand project economics or they believe the benefit far outweighs the risk. I have done this myself when I first started my business but after losing thousands of dollars I learned very quickly to bill early and never let billing lag project progression.

Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast