Where are they hiding the Coconut Oil?

sailin

May 1, 2008
Has anyone seen 100% Coconut Oil on the North Coast?? Any grade is fine. I'm surprised I can't find it. Made some oil the old fashioned way. It was interesting and the end product was excellent for cooking but I need a gallon or two on a regular basis.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have only ever saw it in the pharmacy. laboratorio GRUGO ruiz farmaceutical makes it. comes in tiny bottles.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Sailin,
Janets in Cabarete have it - next to the Weston Union Stand , La Rosa Super Market has it - on the left as you go in.
The Fruit Street seller in Sosua has pure stuff in small Bugal Bottles ! You can see him on PC most days.

Olly and the Team

sailin

May 1, 2008
I'll check them out. thanks.. A friend brought me Caribbean Spice brand from Santiago . It was a 12oz bottle for 190RD. It was excellent oil and Janet's Grocery in Cabarete is trying to order it in. The company sent 24 bottles and I was excited but when I got there they had sent "coconut extract" not oil!! That was 3 weeks ago and the store manager it still trying to get it straightened out.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I'll check them out. thanks.. A friend brought me Caribbean Spice brand from Santiago . It was a 12oz bottle for 190RD. It was excellent oil and Janet's Grocery in Cabarete is trying to order it in. The company sent 24 bottles and I was excited but when I got there they had sent "coconut extract" not oil!! That was 3 weeks ago and the store manager it still trying to get it straightened out.

Funny and no surprise at all. Good luck finally getting the correct product. Please post the size and price when you finally get it.

(The oil is hiding inside coconuts, LOL)

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
im curious...can i just ask what you use it for Sailin?

Recently, coconut oil has come forefront for its health benefits. Hillbilly had a post linking to a You Tube video. Go to CBN (Christian Broadcast Network) and do a search on coconut oil and watch the video. There is signifcant info that it raises good colestoral and can ward off dementia and help in alzheimers. I have purchased the cooking oil here in the states. It says to refrigerate after opening. It then becomes very hard. It is also sold in capsule form.
Possibly, the DR is exporting a lot of it for these purposes. Check out the video. Don't get the oil to hot--the benefits will get lost.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Yes availble from street sellers in Las Terrenas. I buy a bottle every 1-2 months. You can tell its real by refrigeration - it sets.

Very good in a thai green curry.

yapask1

sailin

May 1, 2008
Sure Vinyasa ..I'm a soap maker. Coconut oil is essential in organic natural soap bars. My family and I also use it for cooking, skin and hair care, feed it to our animals, the health benefits would shock you.
One of my favorite books is The Coconut Oil Miracle by Bruce Fife ND .
Changed our lives and our waistlines!! (Great for weight loss). It's an easy and simple way to improve your health and receive incredible benefits plus noticable results.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Sailin,
All the pure stuff - Coco nut Oil - from Janets has gone - it was in the white polythene bottles at about 160 RD$. They still have the suntan stuff in spray top bottles but it is essnece.

Your best bet for larger quantities is the PC Street seller. He may do a deal for larger quantities but is a bit expensive at 300 RD$ for 375 ml.

I wondered what you did with it too. I thought you might be using it to get the white bits brown which is one use or perhaps even the old style Mazola parties but they have gone out of fashion and it is difficult to get the black plastic sheets here anyway!
Good luck with the soap making!

Olly and the Team