new to dr and sosua

sunshinedon

Jul 28, 2012
i visited dr 1 time and bought a house. now i need to furnish and might buy a truck or jeep.i will be going there part time for pleasure at first but plan to retire soon and maybe do some mission work in the near future. I like to buy from individuals when possible. i am going back to Sosua end of august to secure and decorate my new casa.do you know good sources for this including ac ,inverter.appliances and furniture. if you have access to a truck for rent for this shop fest that would be great.

Jan 17, 2009
Welcome to DR1! There ate many stores in Puerto Plata where you can buy appliances and furniture, but there is one good store in Sosua where you may be able to find most of your appliances and some furniture. The name is Papaterra, and it's located in Carretera Sosua-Cabarete. The deliver and install everything. If you pay cash, they'll give you a very good discount (ask for it).

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Welcome to DR1! There ate many stores in Puerto Plata where you can buy appliances and furniture, but there is one good store in Sosua where you may be able to find most of your appliances and some furniture. The name is Papaterra, and it's located in Carretera Sosua-Cabarete. The deliver and install everything. If you pay cash, they'll give you a very good discount (ask for it).

Very good idea to buy second user at first.

yapask1

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
i visited dr 1 time and bought a house. now i need to furnish and might buy a truck or jeep.i will be going there part time for pleasure at first but plan to retire soon and maybe do some mission work in the near future. I like to buy from individuals when possible. i am going back to Sosua end of august to secure and decorate my new casa.do you know good sources for this including ac ,inverter.appliances and furniture. if you have access to a truck for rent for this shop fest that would be great.

Hi Sunshine,

Don't forget to bring yellow lemons..

Thanks,

Mike

sunshinedon

Jul 28, 2012

thanks that sounds perfect. Do you know anything about security monitoring? It seams like iron bars and security are common. iwant to secure it then furnish then take a stroll on the beach or surf.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You might be better off buying things like appliances in the US/Canada and shipping them (search mudanza).

I use Sears Scratch/Dent for very good deals - atleast 1/2 off, which more than pays for the shipping.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Sunshine",I admire you!
Do you ever jump out of airplanes with no parachute???
Please prove that I have no idea what I am talking about regarding buying a house,in Sosua"is it?, or anywhere on this "Rock" without actually living here first!Is your dream kitchen still in the USA?
Then God help you to pack it,ship it,get it through customs,move it to your new "Casa",and get it installed here!
I KNOW it will cost you more than a beautiful,custom made Dominican wood kitchen.I KNOW IT!
Who will do the work you need done on your house? How much will they charge.How will you schedule paying them,is there unpaid,electric,water,trash pick up,Telephone,Cable,internet service bills that have not been paid?
Please tell me that you had a real lawyer guide you through the purchase,and title search when you bought???
Please?
The DR is an active "Mine Field",especially when purchasing real estate.
You need to follow in the exact foot steps of other expats who have gone through that "Mine Field" and survived to reach the other side.
Just taking a run at it,as you seem to be doing will not have a happy ending.
I AM NOT criticizing you,just your way to happy-go-lucky,what happens,happens approach to this big life changing event.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Now the DR

Is your dream kitchen still in the USA?
Then God help you to pack it,ship it,get it through customs,move it to your new "Casa",and get it installed here!
Let's assume, he bought it here:
craigslist: dominican republic classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events :classic:

Who will do the work you need done on your house? How much will they charge.How will you schedule paying them,is there unpaid,electric,water,trash pick up,Telephone,Cable,internet service bills that have not been paid?
Tranquilo.
He'll find out in due time.
And I guess, he is wealthy.
So, what?

Please tell me that you had a real lawyer guide you through the purchase,and title search when you bought???
Too late. :knockedou

You need to follow in the exact foot steps of other expats who have gone through that "Mine Field" and survived to reach the other side.

Don't scare him (away)!
He is young, fearless, was in 'Nam, "the Dominican" is just another adventure. ;)

donP

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
"Sunshine",I admire you!
Please prove that I have no idea what I am talking about regarding buying a house,in Sosua"is it?, or anywhere on this "Rock" without actually living here first!Is your dream kitchen still in the USA?
I KNOW it will cost you more than a beautiful,custom made Dominican wood kitchen.I KNOW IT!
Please?
I AM NOT criticizing you,just your way to happy-go-lucky,what happens,happens approach to this big life changing event.

Don't get your colon in a knot.

I did everything that say not to do.

Bought my first trip ( I came especially to buy) - not a house, just land - still needed to build.
Lawyer guided me through
Finished it - happy.

Kitchen installed here.... bought in SD

Repair men are easy to find where i am.

My car mechanic picked me up last week when I was stranded after dinner (9:15) and drove me home.
Delivered the car the next day - fixed.

I have a house manager who pays the bills, gets auto insurance and annual stickers, etc.

It all doable.... and not that hard.

Oh, btw, I spoke no Spanish and am still learning.....

Why scare someone away who genuinely sounds like he has a plan ???

With all respect - I serious doubt all the successfully integrated ex-pats are any smarter or better equipped than most "Average Joes"

Feces, if I can do it --- just imagine !!!

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Yes, there are many successful purchases in the DR and the process is quite straightforward, but as with property purchases anywhere time and patience are required.

A wide range of excellent services are available, most at very reasonable cost. Buildings are completed quite quickly in the majority of cases. Also when set up living and maintenance costs are low.

Prices tend to increase over time and this is a good argument not to delay.

yapask1

Bought my first trip ( I came especially to buy) - not a house, just land - still needed to build.
Lawyer guided me through
Finished it - happy.

My car mechanic picked me up last week when I was stranded after dinner (9:15) and drove me home.

I have a house manager who pays the bills, gets auto insurance and annual stickers, etc.

With all respect - I serious doubt all the successfully integrated ex-pats are any smarter or better equipped than most "Average Joes"

Feces, if I can do it --- just imagine !!!

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Better safe,than sorry"!
I just want to see what he has to say after living here for a year????
"Bill",I respect you,and your opinion,BUT,when it comes to negative,but true,posts about the DR,
Have you been visiting Chip and drinking his "Cool Aid"??????
When someone tells about being ripped off,or taken advantage of by a Dominican,you post about just how great all your experiences with Dominicans has been.
Every tradesman,taxi driver,store clerk,and "Salami Vendor you have ever met is a "Saint".
I have met some Dominicanos who are fair,skilled,honest,loyal,trust worthy,decent, goodhearted,and more,
But they are just the tiny minority exception,that proves the rule.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
"Bill",I respect you,and your opinion,BUT,when it comes to negative,but true,posts about the DR,
When someone tells about being ripped off,or taken advantage of by a Dominican,you post about just how great all your experiences with Dominicans has been.
Every tradesman,taxi driver,store clerk,and "Salami Vendor you have ever met is a "Saint".
I have met some Dominicanos who are fair,skilled,honest,loyal,trust worthy,decent, goodhearted,and more,
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

We won't quibble Tom, its beneath us BUT

Did you not read my post about my scheming, conniving, good for nothing watchyman who works for my invisible neighbor?
That neighbor has never been seen in my 4 yrs - the watchyman= yes.

He slithers over to the fence once Sunday morning with a tale of woe about the dog being ill.
Needs 500 pesos to go to the vet --
Alert as I am, I ask - Domingo? The vet works today ? --- seguro, he assures me.
My jeffe will repay you on Monday (the one I have never laid eyes on)

I'm out 500DRP

The repayment is looking grim... for weeks - nothing.

I began referring to him as Senor Quinienetos around the neighborhood.
Before long, everybody was calling him that...

Later, rather than sooner - he repaid me.

Oh, and the girl w/ the cleavage who got me for my Presidente outside of Cabarete?
I wrote about that one.

I've had my pocket emptied unvoluntarily more than once, but I don't let it cloud my overall perception.
No, I'm not drinking Chip's Kool-Aid....

I just seem to have more good stories than bad.
Much of that has to do w/ my locale.... a kind on Mayberry place, not a shyster's heaven.

I have more corruption stories, but I think the esrever of you... those are the exceptions, not the rule -- in my world anyway.:confused::cool:

Oh, did you ever track down that basketball player you spotted in the supermercado?

sunshinedon

Jul 28, 2012
"Sunshine",I admire you!
Please?
I
have done some research for the last 2 years on where to invest in a stable warm winterclimate checked out a few places DR Sosua matched up. I am still pretty young so if it is a bad vibe ill move on . the kitchen is for my primary res. I will make it happy go lucky its just to go have a hangout for me and my wife right now. thanks for vour concerns. We enjoy a challange and new friends.

sunshinedon

Jul 28, 2012
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I love the Latin American people They all have A nice smile. All my first efforts to find a place have paid off so far.A beautiful casa Beautiful country. I will learn spanish much more rapid being emersed in the culture. I always try to watch my back. I am not Quite 50 yet. i thought it was time to start enjoying more before Im to old and scared.

sunshinedon

Jul 28, 2012
I did some homework on buying in DR .I used century 21 my agent seams to be a good guy. He has been helping me alot and that has been great.

sunshinedon

Jul 28, 2012
Wow ! A positive soul alot like me. I moved from the comfort of status Quo a couple of times and have done similar things in Fla. It just is not warm enough to get in the ocean in jan,feb. in my business.I have winter down time and want to party and play A little effort and i will be able to enjoy my own carribean island. I thought about putting on VRBO when im not there.I got alot to figure out that just adds to the fun. The first night might be only a bed and a cooler maybe a blender. the second day maybe a grill and a poolfloat.

sunshinedon

Jul 28, 2012

Lawyer guided me through
Finished it - happy.

Feces, if I can do it --- just imagine !!

I see you took on quite a challange. your positive attitude made it easier.I am trying to get prepared so I can enjoy the challange. All info is helpful

Gary F

Jul 1, 2012
You go sunshine. I am new to the DR myself we have been once and going back in Oct. I love to read the posts of all people and very rarely respond to any. But what I don't understand is it seems some people absolutely hate it for one reason or the other, but that's not different than being here at home in the US. I am a plumbing contractor and have traveled all over the central and southern states and it can get as bad here as you want it to get. EX. I noticed some look down on Sosua for its partying, prostitution, and night life. Evidently some hasn't been to Vegas, Atlantic City, New Orleans etc. There are places in our metopolitan cities that will steal the tires off your car with it moving, and or shoot you because of your shoes. Heck look at what just happened in Colorado . I believe the element of danger exists on any given day in certain areas and certain cituations. Common sense is the way to go in any setting and I would say in any country. We own some rental property here at home and buying can be complicated , if the property titles are messed up or an estate is involved, etc. I would approach anything with good common normal business sense and all should be fine . I definitely don't think people should assume that the island is just beautiful and without problems, but show me some place that is. When we come back we are going to check it out some more, to see if it is want we want for a getaway place, but we won't approach it with any less mentality than we would here at home. Not trying to step on anyone's toes but the due process of buying a home, being safe in certain areas at night , eating certain foods, etc. Can be a bad experience anywhere not just the DR.