Changes to the rules on sending used clothes to the DR

todobien

Jul 20, 2008
Is anyone familiar with the new rules (if any) regarding sending used clothes into the DR from the USA? We have been sending a box or two a month to my wife's family. We are using Martinez cargo express out of Orlando. For about a year now we have had no problems at all, but our last box was held up at the port in Santo Domingo by DR customs for over two weeks. Martinez told us that customs held up 3 shipping containers of boxes. The rule we have been under until now is you could send used cloths and food with no extra customs fees, and the box could contain all food or all clothes, it didn't matter. Now Martinez tells us the new rule is each box must contain half food and half clothes. I know there are any number of reasons for this change, but does anyone else know about this? Thank you

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Just sent 6 boxes from Lakeland to S.D. using Martinez as well. Hopefully wont be too big a problem as my parents love to stick small electronics in the boxes. Last time they got through but the time before that there was a problem with a small toy they sent for my son. Ended up charging me the same thing the toy cost as "impuesto".... these jerk offs are spineless.

I tell you though, aduana is the slimy downfall of this country. If it werent for these greedy pricks there would be decent products in this country instead of the B.S. "grey" market, slightly old, slightly worn products we get. Tired of eating old, almost expired, expensive products just because these mental midgets want to secure their retirements!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Its normal for the rules to make no sense, change all the time and be interpreted differently depending on who you talk to.
It the DR. We just sent two cartons full of all sorts of stuff, used clothes, food, small appliances. Due today or tomorrow but who knows??? I will be happy if they just get there without being opened and robbed. Its the way it is.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
You should be very glad the officials are saving valuable foreign exchange. Also levy a reasonably high tax on luxury imports and make the process slightly awkward.

It used to be in much of Europe that in order to import something into a country you had to first export goods/food etc. produced in that country. I can remember someone in Poland wanted to import radios. They first had to export Polish bacon to pay for it.

DR probably imports too much and I am glad officials, from what you tell me, are doing their job well.

Quite a few countries have restrictions on the import of second hand clothes. It protects workers in the clothing industry in those countries. It would be good in charities from rich countries instead of sending second-hand stuff supported the clothing industry in the DR and bought locally from companies offering reasonable conditions to workers for distribution to the needy.

yapask1

ya

Just sent 6 boxes from Lakeland to S.D. using Martinez as well. Hopefully wont be too big a problem as my parents love to stick small electronics in the boxes. Last time they got through but the time before that there was a problem with a small toy they sent for my son. Ended up charging me the same thing the toy cost as "impuesto".... these jerk offs are spineless.

I tell you though, aduana is the slimy downfall of this country. If it werent for these greedy pricks there would be decent products in this country instead of the B.S. "grey" market, slightly old, slightly worn products we get. Tired of eating old, almost expired, expensive products just because these mental midgets want to secure their retirements!

MANGOS

Jul 24, 2012
we will be sending a couple of boxes of our things over in a couple of months to DR..will have a mixture of clothes,kitchen stuff,electrical and even bathroom toiletries(dont ask..its the wife)...anyways i will be sending it from UK by UPS...will it have the same problems and maybe tax when it comes in?

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
we will be sending a couple of boxes of our things over in a couple of months to DR..will have a mixture of clothes,kitchen stuff,electrical and even bathroom toiletries(dont ask..its the wife)...anyways i will be sending it from UK by UPS...will it have the same problems and maybe tax when it comes in?

Options are :

Send standard suitcases by co who offer that service. Takes about 4 weeks and declare as under $200 or gift. Could be cheaper than UPS.

Last time it cost about 200 pound to send a very heavy soutcase with clothes, books etc. delcared as personal effects

Send cooking stuff etc. by parcel post declaring value of parcels under $200.

Buy new here - in chinatown excellent saucepans etc.

New pressure cooker about 1000 pesos.

Electrics are 110 - need a transformer for 220 products.

Probably cheaper to buy again most things through Amazon etc. Rice cooker etc. Check the prices and it is about $4 a lb from Miami to SD etc. by CPS.

Get someone to store non-essentials in UK and bring back bit by bit as you visit the UK either as standard 25- 30 kilo luggage or excess bagage - check airline regulations carefully.

yapask1

MANGOS

Jul 24, 2012
Options are :

Send standard suitcases by co who offer that service. Takes about 4 weeks and declare as under $200 or gift. Could be cheaper than UPS.

Last time it cost about 200 pound to send a very heavy soutcase with clothes, books etc. delcared as personal effects

Send cooking stuff etc. by parcel post declaring value of parcels under $200.

Buy new here - in chinatown excellent saucepans etc.

New pressure cooker about 1000 pesos.

Electrics are 110 - need a transformer for 220 products.

Probably cheaper to buy again most things through Amazon etc. Rice cooker etc. Check the prices and it is about $4 a lb from Miami to SD etc. by CPS.

Get someone to store non-essentials in UK and bring back bit by bit as you visit the UK either as standard 25- 30 kilo luggage or excess bagage - check airline regulations carefully.

yapask1

thats something to think about but its convincing the wife to part with her things haha..but it is good to know Amazon ship out there as i do allot of buying on ebay and Amazon is has good as any for things.I just hope the parcels dont get robbed or rummaged through..i think that would seriously P me off
I think i would rather ship that have to visit back to pick things up as flight would be a whole lot more
Whereabouts is chinatown??

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
thats something to think about but its convincing the wife to part with her things haha..but it is good to know Amazon ship out there as i do allot of buying on ebay and Amazon is has good as any for things.I just hope the parcels dont get robbed or rummaged through..i think that would seriously P me off
I think i would rather ship that have to visit back to pick things up as flight would be a whole lot more
Whereabouts is chinatown??

Never had a problem with Amazon - stuff is shipped to Miami then CPS to Santo Domingo or to several local offices.

Amazon US accepts UK credit cards. Typically 1 week from ordering to picking up in DR.

Chinatown in Santo Domingo near all the big shops. Excess baggage for clothes etc. is about 7$ per kg on airlines but most often they are generous. If it is obviously personal things and one laptop/camera etc. per person no customs. Read your airline regulations. Some airlines laptop/ big handbag does not count in allowance. So you get 25-30 kg suitcase, 6kg carry on plus laptop / big handbag as accessories outside weight allowance. Try www.jetairfly.com from Brussles and use Eurostar to connect.

Just think if you save $1,000 you could have a shopping trip to Miami plus a 3 night cruise for 2.

yapask1

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
You should be very glad the officials are saving valuable foreign exchange. Also levy a reasonably high tax on luxury imports and make the process slightly awkward.

It used to be in much of Europe that in order to import something into a country you had to first export goods/food etc. produced in that country. I can remember someone in Poland wanted to import radios. They first had to export Polish bacon to pay for it.

DR probably imports too much and I am glad officials, from what you tell me, are doing their job well.

Quite a few countries have restrictions on the import of second hand clothes. It protects workers in the clothing industry in those countries. It would be good in charities from rich countries instead of sending second-hand stuff supported the clothing industry in the DR and bought locally from companies offering reasonable conditions to workers for distribution to the needy.

yapask1

ya

"doing their job well"

Are you kidding? How much of the tax money do you think reaches its proper destination? How much money is robbed? How many items are robbed? Plus all the uncertainty of not knowing what the actual tax will be.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
"doing their job well"

Are you kidding? How much of the tax money do you think reaches its proper destination? How much money is robbed? How many items are robbed? Plus all the uncertainty of not knowing what the actual tax will be.

No, the name of the game is stopping people importing unnecessary goods. Uncertainty is a good dis-incentive to importing, delays also, conviscation of certain goods also.

US is importing too much - 8% unemployment, debt crisis, drug smuggling in containers from Mexico etc.
are major problems.

yapask1

todobien

Jul 20, 2008
"doing their job well"

I had to laugh at that one too..

What I was told a while back is they run a few boxed with a metal detector and open those and charge or steal as they see fit...they don't do it on all of them...so you might get lucky with electronics and so forth, but if you get caught it's easier to buy there.