Changes In Sosua As Per Sosua News

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

It is low season in Sos?a and it shows. On weekdays, there are few tourists to perceive. In the weekends it is still busy on the beach and the nightlife in the Pedro Clisante. So many entrepreneurs are now using this temporary break. They use this opportunity to perform all kinds of maintenance and alterations to their businesses

The Latino bar is transformed into El Toro bar, El Cultivo restaurant is converted into a bar. It seems as if the former house Louis Hess is still there, they only gave it another color. Also Playero supermarket is busy building. In the front of the supermarket they are constructing a roof. This roof will be used for promotion of special items. It will be like a covered market place.

Work on the front of Playero is not the main news about the supermarket. The inside has been enlarged greatly and the aisles have been widened significantly. Carts can now easily pass by each other and there is no need to navigate around displays that previously were in the narrow aisles. The Valcones, owners of Playero, tell me their intention is to keep the aisles clear since they now have much more shelf space than
previously.

Once you get accustomed to the new layout, I think you will find it easier to shop since all related products are now in the same general area.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
finding the baby shampoo was a challenge though, untill one of their employees told me it was no longer with the other shampoos, but with the diapers...

makes sense, in a strange kind of way, I suppose....

BelgianK

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
finding the baby shampoo was a challenge though, untill one of their employees told me it was no longer with the other shampoos, but with the diapers...

makes sense, in a strange kind of way, I suppose....

BelgianK

I don't think a mother with a young child would think there was anything strange about having all the products she needs for the care of her child in one section.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Ken, it does make sense....

They just warped it, that is what I meant...

btw... I knew Black&Decker for their drills, etc... but a Belgian waffle maker???? I have to buy that one.... lol

Tell the owners to become a bit more competitive in pricing... I like playero, but their prices are becoming a joke in comparison to Janets in Cabarete...

BelgianK

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
it took me three days to find the refried beans........

One reason is probably the process they have been going through during the transition. First they moved stuff just to get it moved and open up the aisle space. The next step was to get things in the places they wanted them, which meant moving a lot of things again.

Actually, I think they have done pretty well considering the amount of stock that has been moved and organized in a fairly short period of time.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
They have done well but I would not be suprised if their prices go up even more to accomodate for the new look. Price of chicken breast in Playero is criminal, 185 pesos per pound. La Sirena charge 125 pesos per pound which is already quite a lot. Last week I asked for two chicken breasts in Playero and it was 320 pesos...I just gave it straight back. They really are getting a bad name for their high prices which is definitely not good P.R.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From the Valconis, Owners Of Playero

"Regarding the organization, I know it will take some more days. Some items were moved very fast and in the next days we will do our best to put them correctly. Some things were misplaced but people got used to find them. Will do our best to correct it.

"Regarding the price of the chicken breasts, we have them in the fridge for $132.60/pound (frozen). The price of them in the deli section is $184.20, since they are imported as you can see the size. We started to sell the imported ones, as per request of some customers who wanted bigger chicken breasts. In the frozen section we have different brands."