furniture appliances jeep

sunshinedon

Jul 28, 2012
I am looking to find local furniture ,bedding appliances and a jeep or something similar. Can you purchase a vehicle without being a resident. Can I insure it for liability. Can you get parts for jeeps. Is there local crafted furniture resonably priced. I saw a place by the airport that had outdoor furniture like on the beach is it for sale.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
No hay problemas.

.... no problem

The following is NOT addressed to you and I only mention it because newcomers will hear this often and especially from Dominicans.

And yes, it is true.

However, 'no problem' simply means that the speaker will not have a problem, it is YOU who will have it.... :classic:

donP

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If you plan on buying a vehicle and being in the country for any extended period, get a drivers license - that means residency and cedula first.
That gets complicated but less complicated than driving as foreigner.

Just my feeling for it....

Yes, I have them - cars, License, etc.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
If you plan on buying a vehicle and being in the country for any extended period, get a drivers license - that means residency and cedula first.

This is sound advice. The previous poster obviously has an agenda. You are a babe in the woods. Insurers can avoid payment if you do not have a Dominican Driving License. You need Residency to obtain same. Ignore any advice to the contrary!!!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there are several furniture stores on the north coast: from cabarete to puerto plata. the same goes for appliances. go to few places, compare the prices, come back to a chosen shop. pay cash and always ask for a discount. most places will offer few percent off. most places deliver for free or a small flat rate. you can slip 100-200 pesos to guys who bring the stuff over, if you feel like it.

you can buy a car without being a resident. i assume that by "jeep" you mean a brand, not SUV in general? parts are widely available but and you will be able to find someone to fix it. you can insure the car too but it will be worthless since the insurance company will not pay unless the driver has a dominican licence (see above). and in order to get that you need residency. sure, people will tell you it ain't a problem. hell, the insurance company will tell you it ain't a problem but wait until you have an accident - they will always look for ways not to pay. better safe than sorry.

sunshinedon

Jul 28, 2012

thanks i will only get to stay 10 to 30 days each trip ,3 or 4 times a year. I will still be running business in states that requires me to be there also. can i get a cedula and license without resdency

sunshinedon

Jul 28, 2012
there are several furniture stores on the north coast: from cabarete to puerto plata. the same goes for appliances. go to few places, compare the prices, come back to a chosen shop. pay cash and always ask for a discount. most places will offer few percent off. most places deliver for free or a small flat rate. you can slip 100-200 pesos to guys who bring the stuff over, if you feel like it.

you can buy a car without being a resident. i assume that by "jeep" you mean a brand, not SUV in general? parts are widely available but and you will be able to find someone to fix it. you can insure the car too but it will be worthless since the insurance company will not pay unless the driver has a dominican licence (see above). and in order to get that you need residency. sure, people will tell you it ain't a problem. hell, the insurance company will tell you it ain't a problem but wait until you have an accident - they will always look for ways not to pay. better safe than sorry.

great advice and knwledge thanks. I just hate to rent a car I would like to leave one in the drivway for friends and security. I guess I could get a scooter and just lock it up.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
do not get discouraged. get a car, just do not have accidents :) seriously, most that people get here is small stuff: dents, scratches, bumps. i would not drive without the insurance but most people here (dominicans and gringos alike) do not have any and they do not care. heck, many dominicans do not even have a licence :)

on the other hand i have heard many times it is not good to leave the car for a long periods of time without using it. not to mention security - you will be away for months at a time. scooter? man, i don't know. if you do not plan travelling a lot you'd be better off using taxis and public transport. getting around the north coast is cheap and easy.

when it comes to the household items you may check dr1 ads. some folks move out and sell their stuff. local papers for gringos also have advertisement sections. sosua or cabarete have garage sales so you may find good offers.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
here is Another way to preserve your car or scooter .put it in a storage place of good reputation . Modern storage just outside of Sosua , I placed my vehicle and some valuable pieces of furniture when I took a long trip . It was started up from time to time and not one was missing after several months . IF THERE IS ONE THING NOT to be today its doing everything to secure property and possessions This storage owner shared with me he had an older couple just furnish their new house here ,take 1 month to return to their home country ,and once back HAD thousands of new furniture STOLEN,A SMALL motorbike which was destroyed, and left ...DO YOUR HOMEWORK TWICE HERE,THESE ARE VERY LEAN TIMES.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
thanks i will only get to stay 10 to 30 days each trip ,3 or 4 times a year. I will still be running business in states that requires me to be there also. can i get a cedula and license without resdency

No , you need residency.

You can drive a la dv8, without insurance if you choose - up to you.
For just those few visists, the hassle of owning and maintaining a car might not be worth it.
Maybe wait until you're here for longer periods - again up to you.

As for storing the car, yes it needs to be secure.
In northern climates(for winter storage) it is suggested to leave the tank full (less condensation) and NOT to start it unless you do so for 40-45 minutes or so(again, a condensation issue) to fully warm it up.
Tropical storage may be different - google it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
don't say "a la dv8" - we have full insurance on both our cars. i said "some folks don't have it", not that i don't.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
don't say "a la dv8" - we have full insurance on both our cars. i said "some folks don't have it", not that i don't.

Sorry ... should have been "a la suggestion of"

I have insurance too but found that it had lapsed for a few months.
Oddly, we were able able to get my renewal sticker "sin seguro".... how could that be.

All is back in order now.

I didn't mean to offend you...

Sosua-Bound

Jul 2, 2011
A great place to get custom furniture in Sosua is Mimbre and Rattan. We had some custom furniture made there, all we did was send them a picture of what we wanted, they sent us a quote and they built it exactly like the picture, good quality and built to last out of Dominican Oak, or you can get rattan.