Wooden window frames

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I'm planning to change the windows of my house. Currently we have on the first floor black metal sliding windows (induca style) and on the second floor a combination of sliding windows and 'percianas' (also the ugly black / dark brown induca metal frames.

If possible (and not outrageously expensive) I would like to change them with wooden frames, sliding or swing. Does anyone has experience with this, where to get them or to have made by whom and does it last without having to paint every 6 months?

Gr. Mauricio

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
More than a year later....still considering changing the windows for wooden window frames.....does anyone know if these are offered in DR?

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I think anything would be better than wood as it rots and need to be treated because of termites.

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
how about take the aluminum frame and make a nice window there. find a glass guy and some creative things to use.

We have wooden outer windows which came with the house when we bought it. This has to be the dumbest idiotic thing our previous owner could do. We live on the Beach, so not only does it rot but it also moves quite a bit as the bolts to close it are not in line and i have to move them from time to time
We are this week changing all off our outer windows to NON WOOD windows, I would NEVER suggest wood windows here. I am by no means an expert on this subject but in the last year they have gotten way worse.
I will say it again I HATE our previous owner who insisted on everything wood. Termites are just the beginning of the problems which we also just dealt with!

Windows and floors when they are not wood i will be in total heaven!!

Yes i realize this is my own stupid fault for buying this house but my wife WANTED it and what she wants she gets!!!

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
Around 5 or 6 years ago we changed the windows almost everywhere in our house. We bought pvc (or plastic) frames with double thermo glass European stile . The windows close hermetic and no water, no bugs and nothing comes through.
It is the best thing I have ever bought for the house.
The frames are white and very easy to clean - and they stay nice. No maintenance needed.
I remember, that the price was only a little higher than the price for the normal sliding alu windows . I can really recommend that kind of windows.
We bought the windows in Santiago - a place called ?Elements? (no idea if the place still exists - somewhere in Tamboril). It was a German guy and the windows were imported from Europe. The guy was weird, but the windows are fantastic.

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
It is no problem having windows made of wood - you just need to use hard wood or treated wood . Normal pine wood is cheaper, but you get the termites very quickly…
Part of our roof is made of treated pinewood , covered with tiles and it is at least 10 or 12 years old and never a problem with bugs.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Induca has modern tilt and turn european style windows that can be completed with double glass, they are much better than the sliding ones and they make the house completely silent, no noise from the street at all. Also no water leaks, no wind noise, nothing. They have those frames from different manufacturers, the cheaper ones come from Latin America, the same dark brown color, they have another model (twice more expensive) from France in white color, ask them if other colors are available. That type of windows is the best for DR conditions.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Induca has modern tilt and turn european style windows that can be completed with double glass, they are much better than the sliding ones and they make the house completely silent, no noise from the street at all. Also no water leaks, no wind noise, nothing. They have those frames from different manufacturers, the cheaper ones come from Latin America, the same dark brown color, they have another model (twice more expensive) from France in white color, ask them if other colors are available. That type of windows is the best for DR conditions.

I have changed in the past year 5 windows from the ugly brown to the white frame, I took the more expensive version from Induca, so I guess these are the French ones. They don't look that bad, but i do like wood better, but obviously don't want the problems with rotten windows or termites.

One big mistake I made was letting me be convinced by the Induca sales lady to take the laminated windows to keep noise out instead of the normal double glass. The laminated version has to pieces of glass pressed together with a laminate between them. I have had the normal double glass windows before from Induca and I feel they kept out the noise better.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Around 5 or 6 years ago we changed the windows almost everywhere in our house. We bought pvc (or plastic) frames with double thermo glass European stile . The windows close hermetic and no water, no bugs and nothing comes through.
It is the best thing I have ever bought for the house.
The frames are white and very easy to clean - and they stay nice. No maintenance needed.
I remember, that the price was only a little higher than the price for the normal sliding alu windows . I can really recommend that kind of windows.
We bought the windows in Santiago - a place called “Elements” (no idea if the place still exists - somewhere in Tamboril). It was a German guy and the windows were imported from Europe. The guy was weird, but the windows are fantastic.
Going to look for that! What makes the Alu windows look cheap is the shine they have, I suppose these PVC ones come matte as well.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Part of our roof is made of treated pinewood , covered with tiles and it is at least 10 or 12 years old and never a problem with bugs.

Did you build it? Is it normal pressure treated or treated with something else (less toxic)?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
There is a reason

Anything that is constructed of wood and exposed to the elements has a very short life if not maintained in a ridged monotonous schedule.

PJT visited a huge mansion and its two large out buildings in the Punta Cana resort area that had all of its rotted wooden window shutters replaced with imported custom made powder coated metal shutters. The original owner from the UK being used to the enrichments of her home country had the original wooden shutters fabricated off shore for the mansion when it was being constructed. She was obviously unaware of the perils to wood in this country.

Moral: When in the DR construct with the same type of materials as the Dominican?s do, there is a reason. Bring an open attitude.

Regards,

PJT

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There must be certain kinds of wood that survive both the weather, worms, and other insects. We have wooden vents in one of our older houses, that have been there for 20 years plus and they have no damage from either insects or weather. I have no idea what wood was used.

May 5, 2007
What is that two colored wood, light and dark that they make all the mortar and pedestal souvenirs from, very heavy? also, a very hard dark wood they make some really pretty carvings from, takes a very high polish

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
I will answer 2 questions for me I found here:

The window frames made by PVC or plastic are a bit shiny - at least the ones I bought. They did not have others at that time. But it is not much really - or at least it does not disturb me at all. And they are soooo easy to clean and the color does not change, which is important. I remember some years ago, when they made the first window frames in PVC - they turned yellow with black spots ( like the cheap plastic furniture for the garden), but I assure you, that this has not happened to my windows and they look the same as when I bought them. And I have no noise, no bugs and no water coming through.

As for the roof we made of treated wood. I cannot say, how the wood is treated. Here they say : madera tratada .. It is imported I know .. We NEVER had any problems with termites or bugs any kind. We have made other things of treated wood with the same good result. We buy the wood at Ochoa in Santiago. They have a special place, where they only sell wood ( cannot remember where it is)..
Using Caoba (Mahogany) is really not at all so sure that you will never get bugs? It might take longer, but the ?carcomas? might as well eat Mahogani ..And the quality is not as good as years back? They recommend the use of Canadian oak and it is expensive.

I know there is another wood here in Dominican - the popular name is Amarre or something like that. It is only possible to work with the wood when it is fresh. If it dries it gets so hart, that your saw will break. They used it before to make stairs for example. It is rare and I don?t know if it is prohibited to cut these trees now. But it is very strong.