What is this and what to do with it?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I received this as a thank you gift today, long story. I was told it has magical health powers. I showed it to a couple of city dwelling locals and they think it is Cacao. I don't want to mention what I thought it was. What am I supposed to do with this thing. I doubt I can "legally" bring it back to the states so what to do with it?
23wny1w.jpg

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Yes,it looks like cacao or unrefined chocolate.Is it hard as a rock? What you do is put some milk in a pot to
simmer and take a grater and grate some of the cacao and mix it with the milk.Add sugar,simmer a bit
longer and you have got yourself a steaming cup of hot chocolate!

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I received this as a thank you gift today, long story. I was told it has magical health powers. I showed it to a couple of city dwelling locals and they think it is Cacao. I don't want to mention what I thought it was. What am I supposed to do with this thing. I doubt I can "legally" bring it back to the states so what to do with it?
23wny1w.jpg

Hmmm. I suggest returning back to the toilet

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Yes,it looks like cacao or unrefined chocolate.Is it hard as a rock? What you do is put some milk in a pot to
simmer and take a grater and grate some of the cacao and mix it with the milk.Add sugar,simmer a bit
longer and you have got yourself a steaming cup of hot chocolate!

I think you are right. One person at my hotel, Dominican, did not know what it was but a second person said it was Cacao.

When it was given to me the person motioned to grate it and eat/drink it. My Spanish is no where good enough to understand anything she said.

Yes, it is hard as a rock. Much too hard to be dried up donkey dong.

How long can I keep this and it still be good to make hot chocolate as you mentioned?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
You don't know what's inside of that......

I'd like to see the look on your face...(bigbird) when customs X-rays it, and it's filled with (fill in blank).....

nah, don't think so. this was given to me by a grandma in the barrio/campo as a way of saying thanks. a part of it is split and nothing but deep dark brown color all the way through.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
thanks, so how long will it last. for me it was another lesson in life. it is not the gift but the thought behind the gift.

I used to store mine in the fridge for months.My father used to bring me some when I lived in the states.It lasts
a long time.It will still be good from here to december.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I'm not sure what they call it, but its not cacao, its something else. I have eaten it, don't know about medicinal properties though.....crack open the thing by the edges and there are some chalky seeds inside. Its definitely a different taste, and very dry....it takes some getting used to but not too bad nonetheless.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
my wife just informed me its called "algarobba" ..... paperweight....what a dumb a$$ .... its way too lite

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I'm not sure what they call it, but its not cacao, its something else. I have eaten it, don't know about medicinal properties though.....crack open the thing by the edges and there are some chalky seeds inside. Its definitely a different taste, and very dry....it takes some getting used to but not too bad nonetheless.

OK, split it open and no seeds inside.

2uqdszq.jpg

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
It's a 9 bar of cannabis, sell it, smoke it, but don't take it though customs as a paperweight
many smokers believe it has magical healing powers.:rambo:

But seriously, have you tried tasting it? Is it sour?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Mr. AE says it's dried cocoa, cut off a piece, or grate it, mix it in a pot with milk and sugar, keep stirring. Voila! Hot Chocolate.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Like others said, store it in the fridge. I shave some off into my coffee...YUMMY!! I also shave some into baked goods for an extra chocolately taste. It seems to last forever.

Rafael Perez

Oct 21, 2007
BigBird, its dry Cacao. Its toasted and then grated, Then people clump the cacao powder together. It gets har as a rock (good for a weapon) but Dang, I love that stuff. You can grate it and add sugar, cinnamon, and milk, and you'll have natural hot chocolate or chocolate milk. My mom always brings some to the state and she can make a mean chocolate porridge (or soup whatever u wanna call it) for breakfast.! Oh! and dont forget toasted bread with butter!