Restaurants Cabarete area.

Macy Kai

Jul 7, 2012
I have been living here for 8 months now and now I?m not here on holiday, this is real life, I wanted to share some of the inexpensive places that I have found to eat out. Firstly I would like to recommend Conco Loco at the main entrance to Callejon de la Loma. The staff are always very welcoming and friendly, they sometimes have live music. Often we have been presented with complimentary drinks, when my mum visited a few weeks ago from the UK, we were given desert too on the house. They really do acknowledge loyalty and we have always enjoyed the food there.

Also for a 100 pesos you can have barbecued chicken, salad and your choice of rice, fried plantain or french fries, basically next door to Concho Loco at restaurante Luis. We go there often as it?s local, good value and saves the effort of cooking and washing up!

Across the road there is a French restaurant, Loco?s d?nfrente. They offer good food at great prices. As well as speciality dishes, they also offer spag bol for 99 pesos, or hamburgers 90 pesos. My mum enjoyed the omlette with fries for about 90 pesos.

On a Domincian wage with rent to pay, bills to pay etc sometimes it is difficult to afford to eat out, but finiding these places has meant that we can enjoy dining out. I hope someone will find this useful! :nervous:

Macy Kai

Jul 7, 2012
Oh.. I forgot to mention a new pizza and pasta place. Next door to Freddy?s fereterria, opposite Ocean Dream Plaza.

Ahorita had it?s opening night last night. I sampled the pizza and it was lovely. I brought home a takeaway leaflet and it looks very reasonably priced. They do pizza, pasta, salads etc and even dessert.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Macy, I agree on all three places. When Luis was on the main highway we ate there all of the time. Now that he moved just off the corner, we don't think of him as much, but need to return. Also agree on Concho Loco. My band even played at Concho Loco and we hope to be back during the high season. We just ate lunch for the first time at Loco's D'enfrente and also enjoyed the food.

As for the new pizza place, we will have to see on that. Pizza in the DR sure isn't like back home and is rarely satisfying for me.

Macy Kai

Jul 7, 2012
There is also a new Pizza place opposite Concho Loco, I haven?t tried it yet. I think it is called Papa Rico?s?

There is a new Bar and Grill on the main street in Callejon too. I think it belongs to the same people as Concho Loco, I have only passed by but it looks like another nice place to sit and relax. I think that one is called Voodoo Lounge bar and grill. Maybe if someone tries these places they could let us know!

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
windeguy...............would you like to elaborate more on the pizza? what type of pizza do you enjoy most? i too have eaten variuos pizzas here and not really impressed with the dough, much too thin and limp for my liking.........

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
windeguy...............would you like to elaborate more on the pizza? what type of pizza do you enjoy most? i too have eaten variuos pizzas here and not really impressed with the dough, much too thin and limp for my liking.........

My favorite pizza of all time was from a place called Crystal Bar in Amsterdam, NY. Far upstate from the floppy NY City style pizza. Crystal Bar pizza was a medium crust. The toppings of choice were sausage and mushrooms (once in a while anchovies) . The sausages was a great tasting locally made Italian sausage made with a lot of fennel seed to give it a very special flavor in and of itself. The cheese used was a high grade low moisture mozzerella and there was a generous amount of olive oll on the pizza. The sauce used, and there was a fair amount of it, was unlike any other and probably the real secret to the taste of a Crystal Bar pizza. Many other pizza places in the region made similar pizza to this style. Every single one of those places was far better than any pizza I have ever had in the DR and significantly better than other locations where I had pizza. I can assure you, I am not the only person that has this opinion of Crystal Bar pizza.

Crystal Ristorante - Amsterdam, NY 12010 - Banquets, catering, Restaurant and Pizza

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
will i sound totally yanandu if i say i make great pizza myslef? :)
bread machine does beer based dough, i prepare salsa from scratch and then make pizza with a twist: cheese first, then sauce, then lots of parmesan, then generous helping of olive oil.
one day i will do a picture tutorial now i have a pad :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
will i sound totally yanandu if i say i make great pizza myslef? :)
bread machine does beer based dough, i prepare salsa from scratch and then make pizza with a twist: cheese first, then sauce, then lots of parmesan, then generous helping of olive oil.
one day i will do a picture tutorial now i have a pad :)

In self defense and for the love of real pizza, I also do the same. But is sure would be nice to find a really great pizza here.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
unfortunately the pizza is not cheap. i use entire queso en hoja (i prefer this to mozarella), and a selection of grated cheeses (read: whatever leftovers i can find in a fridge). entire can of tomatoes for sauce plus all the herbs and spices. half a bottle of beer and over 3 cups of flour (plus other stuff) for dough. i am pretty sure the cost is at least 200 pesos :(

the best pizza i had in DR is, actually, in cabarete. restaurant called pomodore. owned by an italian guy. the same great pizza for as long as miesposo can remember. again, not cheap: plate size thin crust pizza is 300-400 pesos, serves one (or two of me). but i see that americans prefer thick crust, rich pizza. this is what i made. because i am too lazy to roll the dough into two thin pizzas :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Pomodore probably still has the best pizza in Cabarete, but nothing like what I am sure you or I make at home and nothing close to what I grew up with.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it IS better than what make at home. you wanna know why? because i don't have to cook it! :) :) :)

senorblanco

Jun 11, 2006
I troed Ahorita tonight , very good , nice folks very reasonable prices. I had a veggie lagsana for 185 pesos, very good.
Cheapest and best places are Mojito Bar on the Beach for lunch 150 for fresh squeezed mixed juices and a homemade style sandwhich , excellent and Casa Mami past Janets next to police station really great dominican specials for 175.
The new French place Basero ( or something like that in front of Cita del Sol in the center is good and nice folks !

Kri

Mar 14, 2013
hi I today I discover a new restaurant in cabarete with good food and great atention. the name is restaurant and pizzeria papa rico.wow this restaurant have very good prices.I recommend to all person come to restaurant papa rico{

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
We live in Cabrera but my wife visited Cabarete today and can't stop talking about the nice meal she had at Gordito's. I know we all know about Gordito's...it's virtually famous...but for a skeptic (my wife) to rave about a place is definitely something to take note of. Head there!!