Just got back from my first... lots seen, few surprises

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
I just love the internet, visiting isn't the same in person as it is online but the two are getting closer by the day!

My wife and I have been exploring different countries (in person) in hope to find one to live in the very near future. I happen to be addicted to windsurfing so Cabarete and the DR made the list :bunny: !

Research
For the past couple of months, we've been reading in English, French and Spanish a lot of different internet information sources; forums, news, wiki's, pictures & videos from the DR and Cabarete. I've been communicating with people that have been there, live there or want to live there :glasses: .

This really helped us get a feel for what we were about to get into. We both had an extensive travel experience. I have to admit that I did get scared by all of the crime-related stories however it pretty much all lived up to our expectations. I was a little surprised to see that most houses/apartments had safety bars on windows and doors regardless of what type of property it was. Only a few houses in heavily guarded gated community didn't have them, it looks to be a necessity there :paranoid: .

Driving
I wanted maximum freedom for moving around so we rented a car, a nice bright-red shiny-new Chevrolet Spark, woo-hoo, so long for trying to be "under the radar". However, once used to the flow (only took a few seconds off of the POP airport to get it), we didn't really stick out that much. I was quite surprised by the number of new and nice vehicles out there. At first, I thought they must be all tourists until I realized that there weren't that many tourists there to boot this time of year! The pot holes weren't so bad but it's the missing manhole covers although generally smaller that were quite spooky to me. Saw two nice ones in Puerto Plata.

Houses
Thanks to Yenny, our favorite real estate agent, we were able to visit a few houses in the Sos?a/Cabarete area. One house didn't show nearly as well as it did online (water damage, electrical issues, dead sapo in the near-empty pool) but most of them showed about the same or better.

Apparently the dilemma with buying a house near the Sos?a/Cabarete is such: a house close to beach will rent easily, a house higher up in the hills will be cooler with potentially less corrosion but maybe not as safe as more isolated...

I ran into houses where the owners as a community opted for alarms and no security (most likely responsible for their latest break-in when no one was in the house). And on the other hand, saw many armed guards with shotguns, why not simply carry a gun on a belt or a taser or both?

Santo Domingo
After our short stay in Cabarete we drove to Santo Domingo via 21 through Moca and La Vega, it was a great drive. The road wasn't too bad, the GPS on my phone decided to quit working temporarily so we had to drive by "feel" which was entertaining for a while. I was surprised to see how clean the road was, I noticed that on pictures also but was expecting more trash on the roads and towns.

We saw many different vendors on the side of the street, not really knowing what they all were, they had coconuts, some sorts of grilled meat and chickens, big potatoes(?), flowers & large rugs :surprised .

Santo Domingo had more trash for sure that anywhere else we had visited. We stayed in the Zona Colonial, walked around there a little and along el Conde. We visited Los Tres (4) Ojos tambi?n and got yelled by their Politur female guard because we were wandering around too far. She said that we had a nice camera, that there was hardly anyone in the park and whatnot, she was afraid for us so we had to head back. I have noticed that they are really afraid that something happens to tourists.

We "shopped" at La Sirena, went to eat at a couple of restaurants, La Dolcerie was amazing and so was its customers. We discovered something else there for sure. It was definitely a complete different Santo Domingo in that area.

Getting lost
We got lost (somewhat) trying to find los 3 ojos, got lost trying to find highway entrances, and got caught in the Feminicidos event going on. The one-way streets take some used-to as well as figure out where to hop on the highway. However, people drive along without much hesitation which made it easier to figure out how things worked. Sometimes, I stopped when I didn't need to but they never jumped out in front, they let me by anyway :D !

What we are looking for
Besides the windsurfing criteria, my wife and I are also looking for a country or area that has a nice culture/history, more social benefis (such has health and education), active social life, restaurants, music, and that is family oriented. However, we don't like smaller places such as Bermuda for instance. We also like the fact that the DR seems to have lots of direct flights to many countries. We met lots of Russians, Germans, French & Americans in Cabarete which is nice.

The DR seem to meet a lot of our criteria except for the insecurity. We don't have much to steal but I think unfortunately it's not the point because some are willing to steal anything no matter how little. That bothers me some. I have a dog (don't mind having several), and I'm willing to setup the house to make it hard to break-in but can only do so much against the most dedicated thugs! My wife says she doesn't care and that I worry too much. While it's partly true, I prefer doing things that make sense :p !

Anyway, the plan is to think about the houses we saw, and return around XMas possibly.
I work with computers and would ideally work remotely removing the need to find work in the DR at least at first.

Any tips in regards to buying real estate & life around Cabarete? I've noticed that it's not really possible to go to the beach and rig up my windsurfing equipment and that it'd be better to store it in one of the centers, anyone has any experience/knows someone that can help with that?

Thanks all, looking forward to knowing the DR1 community some more.

Feb 7, 2007
Any tips in regards to buying real estate & life around Cabarete?

Rent first, buy later. It is strongly advised to anybody contemplating purchase of real estate in the DR and moving in there, to rent for the first 6-12 months. Life in the DR "living" is not the same as life when "visiting". Also, do not burn your bridges back to where you come from.

Welcome to DR1!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I live in Cabarete full time. Definitely rent space at the beach for your windsurfing gear. That way it is rigged and ready to go at any time. Any questions you can PM me.

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
We'd be looking to buy something reasonable at first, something where we'd be willing to take a loss to help selling if we don't like it (basically to minimize commitment). However, we may leave the house unattended for some time and is why I'd prefer something easier to rent. Anyone knows whether it's easy to rent farther up in the mountains (meaning not a walking distance to a main road)?

Also, we won't buy unless it's a *good* deal, something below market value which isn't easy to find. Lower-priced houses in that area seem to sell quite well (given that prices have come down a lot for sure).

I want to be close to Cabarete so my choice for real estate is very limited because of budget and location restrictions. Something close to the international school, the center of town or the beach in Sos?a for example, and still only 10mns away from Cabarete.

We would definitely not break ties with the rest of the world :cheeky: !

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Welcome,and it's refreshing to see you doing your "Homework"!
I "Teach" a few classes about the REAL DR,here on DR1!
First,your observation about "security Measures" are again right on!
HOWEVER,if I may?
You say you have little to steal from your proposed residence?
"OK",but the thieves don't know THAT,until they get in.(Or,as in many breakins,your maid/gardener,handyperson,has "Ratted You Out First!)
And when you are "Out & About",as a "Gringo Couple",you just look like you are "Ricos",and that alone makes you a target.
I have lived here since "95",and visited for 10 years prior to that.
Am I afraid when I go out,"Hell NO!",I SCARE THE DOMINICANS!"
But also,I would not go to many areas where I once walked freely,drunk,at 3am.
One exception, driving the coast highway between Puerto Plata and Cabarete after dark,that scares the "$HIT" out of me!
If I travel after midnight,I carry two "Rolls" with me.
Now,even more dangerous than thieves,and late night driving here,are "Real Estate Agents"!
Sure you may have formed a "Bond" with one,but they are in business to sell houses,that's how they make their living.
They have MANY friends.....and THAT to is how they make their living!
When I purchased here in Arroyo Hondo,I just drove around the neighborhood,(Where I Had RENTED for a whole year)
looked at what was for sale,then did MY homework.
Talked to the owner,got his best price, and drove/walked around talking to the neighbors.
I saw a guy leaving a really nice house,in a new "Yepeta".
We Talked for awhile about the area,which I knew from living there,and,to make a long story short,I bought HIS house,which was not even on the market!
He was a recently divoced father of two,needed $$$$$$$$$$$ for his divorce settlement,A VERY "Motivated Seller"!
Real estate agents make you a "Friend" first,then sell you a house.
You want a good deal on a house you love,NOT a "Friend" who sells houses to make a living!
If you make a post here on DR1,asking,of homeowners here,
"Should I Buy here after a few visits,or should I rent for 6 to 12 months?
I think in your "Heart-of-Hearts" you already know what you should do.
I like to remind those who are contemplating,the former,that:
Decisions made in haste,can be regreted at leasure, and,"Buyers Remorse" is a horrible disease to suffer from!
What is wrong with taking several months to make the right decision on a home here?
By-the-way,you can rent a "Dream House" on the North Coast cheap,(From those who can't resell,the "House of THEIR dreams" and keep your principal safe at the same time.
No one,including me,are telling you not to buy here!
We have just seen too many examples of those who bought a "Pig-In-A-Poke",and lived to regret it!
Waaaaaaay To Many!
CC

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A house "up the mountain" would not be easy to rent. For safety reasons and also because rental cars are expensive here. Stick closer to the main highway.

Last edited:

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
Or,as in many breakins,your maid/gardener,handyperson,has "Ratted You Out First!

You forgot the security folks!

driving the coast highway between Puerto Plata and Cabarete after dark,that scares the "$HIT" out of me!

Because of the dense forest or the drunken driving... or both?
After dark like 10pm or after dark like 3am?
The thing is if you go out for dinner in Cabarete how does one get back home in Sos?a safely then?
I need to be able to do that, otherwise what's the point right? Living locked up in our house after 6pm? Sad...

They have MANY friends.....and THAT to is how they make their living!

I met worse ones in the US! Man, it's like they were telling us what we liked... At least, the one we worked with in the Dominican put zero pressure on us, listened to us, went out of her way to help us even though we clearly stated it was our first visit and we wanted to see what was on the market and what were the conditions over there. She talked us out of certain houses because of things such as: beach distance, poorly maintained road, or too remote. She didn't try to upsell us because our range was too low, bla bla bla. She was truly great almost too much(?)

Also, the very important thing is that the company with help with the title issues and such. One must know when buying directly from owners all of the intricate things to watch out for, with an agent it helps alleviate these issues to some degree since their reputation is at risk.

When I purchased here in Arroyo Hondo,I just drove around the neighborhood

Nice neighborhood there for sure.

He was a recently divoced father of two,needed $$$$$$$$$$$ for his divorce settlement,A VERY "Motivated Seller"!

We won't buy unless we get a really good deal. It makes everything easier but requires patience, research, finding houses like yours or that barely hit the market.

If you make a post here on DR1,asking,of homeowners here,
"Should I Buy here after a few visits,or should I rent for 6 to 12 months?
I think in your "Heart-of-Hearts" you already know what you should do.

Sure it's best to live some place for a while, also it depends greatly on how much one is willing to lose.
I like buying houses that real estate agents describe as: "a house like the one you want in your price range doesn't exist in this neighborhood".

By-the-way,you can rent a "Dream House" on the North Coast cheap,(From those who can't resell,the "House of THEIR dreams" and keep your principal safe at the same time.

I ran into some, man, it's crazy to see how nice some houses can be but don't sell despite their attractive price, what are they really worth then?

No one,including me,are telling you not to buy here!
We have just seen too many examples of those who bought a "Pig-In-A-Poke",and lived to regret it!

I understand and can relate, I've seen people buying trendy modern lofts for way more than market value was, then went upside down and not able to sell later. Ouch...

A house "up the mountain" would not be easy to rent. For safety reasons and also because rental cars are expensive here. Stick closer to the main highway.

Agreed, is it true that they are cooler? Or it depends on how exposed to the wind it is? By mountains, I refer to the hills of Sos?a!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I wouldn't rent first, rent permanent, end of. For the cost of long term contracts if you are going to furnish the place it's dirt cheap, and you're not then tied, or loaded with dead money if you decide down the line something better elsewhere comes up, or ou just dont like the place one day all of a sudden. It does happen. Good luck.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
There are many secure locations near the beach but you pay for that one way or another. The experience of combatting an armed intruder will completely destroy your dream so be very consious of security even if you rent. Remember that Realtors objectives are to sell or rent and get commission and not necesarily tell you the whole story.
I am not in the Real Estate business and have lived here for 7 years now. Its realy nice walking the dog on the beach in early morning - not many people just the odd topless jogger. Fortunately my dog is immune to that but he does like the chase "things" that run!
Olly

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
No, depends where, Jarabacoa (for example) has relatively no crime of significance. Lots of kids riding motorbikes that maybe shouldn't be, but that is almost looked over by the police and accepted as there are so many motorbikes it would be impossible to police, and they cause little problems. Maybe the odd burglary, but very little else. Too much VIP influence up there, trouble makers aren't allowed to grow roots. But maybe you weren't considering that far from the coast.

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
Sos?a/Cabarete is pretty much it, the idea is to hit the beach at Cabarete whenever it blows nicely.
I want to be close to the spot, it's one of the main points for us moving. How much is it to rent a 2-br house? Compare to the price range of houses that we are looking at buying, it'd cover for a nice loss...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
here are some of my observations.

safety:
iron bars are a must. yes, they can be breached but it takes time and effort. ladrones are lazy bastards too and they rather go for targets they can reach faster and with less sweat.
it is important you do not look rich, so to speak :) buy a decent car, but nothing over the top. wear a wedding band but avoid kanye west style of bling. have equipment at home but not some big a**, latest technology that cost fortune. pay decent dominican salaries and do not try to be too generous with your workers, you will be seen as a naive fool who deserves to be robbed.

driving:
someone who's been driving for years in their home country should not have problems in DR. just assume that every other user of a road is an idiot and it all gets easy peasy :) keep your eyes open for motos, look in the mirrors. at night keep to your left (towards the middle of the road - but NOT in the middle, ok?). it has been said here it is better to hit another car than a moto carrying entire family. always take extra care when driving at weekend and on holidays. about 80% of everyone of the road is dead drunk ;)

houses:
look and learn. if you want to rent for a while make it 6 months close to the beach, 6 months up in the hills. you will be able to see pros and cons of both locations. take time to venture into your prospective neighbourhoods. walk, cycle, watch. and listen. because people here like loud parties and loud music. you do not want to live next to someone who blasts music day and night.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
BEWARE OF NOT just security The most dangerous part of the Dr is the road traffic !!!!!! Motorcycles driving at 50 miles an hour with no lights !!!!! I am constantly seeing cows and horses meandering down the main highway between SOSUA and Cabarete hit one of those at night and u may prefer to be robbed ! I personally witnessed a snapshot of an accident yesterday what I know I saw was a DOMINICAN get hit bay vantype car the Dominican was tossed about 5 ft above the car and it looked about 15 yards from the road .Athe car looked like it was going for a u turn as it was partly in the oncoming traffic side If I had to guess since I only saw impact it was a likely scenario of a motorcycle speeding down the road and ran right into the car .i have experience at night going home with lights signals and Dominican with No lights slam right into my vehicle passing when I went to turn into gated community .NOW ABOUT PURCHASING BEFORE U LIVE HERE A MIN . OF 6 months SUICIDE WHAT U HAVE BEEN GIVEN BY. CC MODERATOR IS BIBLICAL . TAKE THAT AS FACT !

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
MEANDERING COWS OF BIBLICAL PORPORTIONS!!

All the guy wants to do is buy a house...

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Why not try ProCab in Cabarete? It's a gated community within walking distance of the beach and shops. There are various houses and apartments for sale and rent. Of course nowhere is completely safe, and there are bars on the windows and armed guards about, but I would say it's at least as safe as anywhere around the town. Where I come from, in Merry Olde England, there are few bars or guards, but almost every house has a burglar alarm or higher tec secuirty, which few have here. I have to admit that I live in ProCab, so I am biased though.

As for CC saying that driving between POP and Cabarete at night scares the $hit out of him, being an innocent Englishman, I don't know what are the two "rolls" that CC says he carries. Maybe it's toilet paper rolls to clean up in case of the $hit mentioned above, or maybe it's something more sinister. I do the drive to and from Sosua at night fairly often, with no problems so far, but then I tend to be home before midnight. (Hope I'm not tempting fate there!) So far, my trousers have remained spotless!

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
ProCab might be out of my price range. Also, I think I want to be closer to Sos?a / Puerto Plata for shops.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You forgot the security folks!
Agreed, is it true that they are cooler? Or it depends on how exposed to the wind it is? By mountains, I refer to the hills of Sos?a!

I don't know if the slight elevation brings any relief from a very hot day. I would think that it depends upon how the property is exposed to the afternoon and evening sun and also if that location receives a good breeze. Properties closer to the beach area of Cabarete, I think, are more likely to have a breeze for the same reason that Cabarete Bay is good for wind based sports and Sosua beach is not good for such sports.