Is this a scorpion or is (was) it mimicking one?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Today morning in my yard:

Not small, about 4 inch long! Managed to take 2 pics before the dog came...

th_2012-08-02072857.jpg

th_2012-08-02072906.jpg

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I don't think it is a scorpion, looks more like a bad a$$ mut-ant, ant, get it:cheeky:?

But at 4" long, that is some huge ant. Scorpions have stingers and I can't see a stinger. I actually got stung by a scorpion abput 20 years ago and it was pretty easily defined, just as is typical. With something like only 1/4 of the worlds insects identified, or infact the animal kingdom it is worth capturing these things and trying to have them identified, you never know.:glasses:

Actually following Katias post I had a look at those alacran and there are some weird looking subspecies it could well be.

Last edited:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
The pic is small so can't see it very well, but it looks more like a cricket to me.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
The pic is small so can't see it very well, but it looks more like a cricket to me.

The pic is actually quite big. Since DR1 doesn't allow posting pics direct from PC I use photobucket and when going through them the pics coming out (small) like that here in the forum...

Dunno why, had no time yet to check if I have to adjust something there on photobucket.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Next time use tinypic and select the message board resize option. I find that works the best.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
can't really tell from the top side, but it looks like those "claws" are actually over sized mandibles (mouth parts), and can't really count the legs.

scorpion has eight legs like spiders (arachnids). all insects have 6 legs (although in some species they have evolved into unusual forms)

either way, it's certainly trying very hard to LOOK like a scorpion. lol

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Mr. AE says that's not an alacran - those are amber colored and the tail comes up a little. He doesn't know what it is, but mentioned that he's heard some weird bugs have come in containers from other countries.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not know what that is but it would make my visitors faint, for sure :)

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Ok scorpions are scary but that thing is downright nightmarish! Holy $hit!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Well, its not a whip scorpion, doesn't have enough pairs of legs...

yes, it does. you can see them best on picture in post #7: two pairs clearly visible towards the back, a pair if thinner, longer ones towards the front and a pair of shorter, stubby in front of the big claws...

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
yes, it does. you can see them best on picture in post #7: two pairs clearly visible towards the back, a pair if thinner, longer ones towards the front and a pair of shorter, stubby in front of the big claws...

Well, I only see 2 pairs of somewhat thicker legs, and in front like two antennas next to the mandibles...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
those long ones seem to be legs, as per picture of this little MF in the post #12 :)
the notion that people keep them as pets always gives me business ideas. in a polish pet shop i saw giant cucarachas, just like those you smack with a flip flop in every dominican house. they are sold as posh argentinian roaches. and cost actual money! and them large centipedes? 30 bucks each!