Finally, an edible pickle...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
... and it's Dominican and only RD31 for a package of two. It's also refrigerated. The brand is Jean's from Santo Domingo. It's similar to some Mt Olive pickles I ate as a kid and are somewhat sour rather than sweet. It's not as good as my favorite Claussen's but it is good enough to garnish my hamburgers and accompany my hoagies with chips and for my salads. Try them. Buen provecho.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Serious? I remember the day we went to Nacional and bought ourselves a bottle of Pickles only to throw them out after first bite. If it's somewhat crunchy and sour and cheap. You. My man. Truly have found what I was looking for. Now I can save the last bottle of pickle I brought in from State for special day.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C5SWQpNBq5s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>......................

R&B is going to like this one. The Boston Pickler!!!!

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it is easy to make dill pickles. i know the recipe we use back home... but, alas, no pickle cucumber in DR, no horseradish root, no entire dill sticks, no cherry leaves.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
... and it's Dominican and only RD31 for a package of two. It's also refrigerated. The brand is Jean's from Santo Domingo. It's similar to some Mt Olive pickles I ate as a kid and are somewhat sour rather than sweet. It's not as good as my favorite Claussen's but it is good enough to garnish my hamburgers and accompany my hoagies with chips and for my salads. Try them. Buen provecho.

Where in SD did you purchase the pickles?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Also, since they come in a bag I cut them into quarters and put them in a glass jar and then in the fridge.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i know those ones. available in all dominican supermarkets. absolutely nasty and disgusting. i prefer american pickles (heinz), different to any type of polish pickles but still not bad.

but you got me thinking, chip. if mo's pukels are DR made it means there must be pickle cucumbers in DR. it would make no sense to make them from imported veggies, those are too pricey. so... there is, in DR, a place where those little cute cucumbersitos are grown. and now I WANT THEM REAL BAD.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Growing cucumbers is easy.

BTW, these pickles aren't very different from Mt Olive pickles I grew up eating. I would say they are very similar to the type that are put on McD's hamburgers and sold with sub sandwiches.

Also, I've tried the Roland (French brand I think) and some Spanish one's and they were horrible at least to me. At the end of the day though it's a matter of taste.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
PriceSmart has Vlasic Dills. Around 13 of them per bottle. RD$125

Speaking of good pickles, I've not had a lot of luck finding good imported pickles here in Santiago, neither in El Nacional nor La Sirena so maybe I should have tried Pricemart. Funny thing though is I found some Heinz garlic pickles in a small supermarket close to my house this evening of all things.

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
What's wrong with Mo brand kosher whole dill pickles. They're cheaper than all the other brands and as good if not better. Problem is I come home at night and eat the whole damn jar.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Growing cucumbers is easy.

BTW, these pickles aren't very different from Mt Olive pickles I grew up eating. I would say they are very similar to the type that are put on McD's hamburgers and sold with sub sandwiches.

Also, I've tried the Roland (French brand I think) and some Spanish one's and they were horrible at least to me. At the end of the day though it's a matter of taste.

They just made my homemade hoagie and chips that much better, burrp.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
What's wrong with Mo brand kosher whole dill pickles. They're cheaper than all the other brands and as good if not better. Problem is I come home at night and eat the whole damn jar.

soft and flavourless, i think. you eat the whole jar? dude, the only jars of mo's i have seen have the size of a bucket! you sure you not be a pregnant woman? ;)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I don't know if I got lucky but my Mo's were crispy. They were in the refrigerated section.

btw dv8, just go bury a cucumber in your backyard and wait a couple of months.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hmmm... chip, pickle cucumbers are not the same as normal cucumbers. they are small, hard and crispy. i actually have a package of seeds but i am waiting for the rainy season to give it a chance. i am not good in caring about green stuff that grows in the garden. :(

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Exactly. Growing cukes is easy. Finding the Bell Jars in the DR is a different story. Piks don't need to be refrigerated. Internet is full of the stuff. Learned doing this years ago. Come on!! Flavor the suckers any way you want.

Last edited by a moderator:

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
How bout sweet gherkins??? I found some here but they tasted more of vinegar than sweet. Also like the big kosher dill pickle..