Moving to Santo Domingo for 4 Months

Christian74

Aug 3, 2012
Hello,

My wife, dog, and I will be moving to Santo Domingo in early September until the winter holidays. I have been avidly reading through the DR1 posts for the past few months to get a sense of what we are getting into but haven't gotten around to signing up until now. I have been to Santo Domingo once before but only stayed on the Malecon so I don't know the city very well. My wife will be working in Gazcue so we are hoping to find some place to live close to there but safe enough for her to walk to work and me to walk the dog. Anybody have any advice/leads on how to find a place? We are looking for something from 9/1 through the end of the year, any # of BRs, dogs allowed, preferably with parking.

Thanks,
Chris

Christian74

Aug 3, 2012
Hoping to do something in the 700-800USD/month range. Would be willing to go a little bit higher if something was in the right location and worth the extra cost.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
You're going to struggle to find anything in supercasas that doesn't at least hold a 6month minimum contract term. You will find something for the 6 months, and take the hit for the loss of the two months. Many first time renters take that hit anyway as they are unfamiliar with the unwritten rules to live out the deposit, many landlords try to screw you for (before the 'BUT' posters jump down my throat no I know not all landlords do this, but let's get real, it isn't unusual is it, Doms and Foreigners alike).
An aparthotel could be a nightmare with a dog, its not fair on the dog, and if a big dog then you'd have a job finding someone to take him anyway. If moving to Gazcue just for 4 months from September, I would seriously consider leaving the dog with family for the short term, the heat and cluttered, no exercise environment is not nice for a dog unfamiliar with it, if it needs well exercised off the lead it will struggle to find it and where you do your heart will be in your mouth with all the traffic and strays around. Chi's are great in the city, I'd never consider anything bigger. Just a consideration, will make your life so much easier.
Your budget is decent, although you will pay a premium for only staying the 4 months, but furnished is difficult, you won't get nicely furnished on a 4 month term, for sure.
I know one place in Zona Universitaria who will rent out by the short term month, and he actually does return deposits, he speaks English so you could try him, he is just off the top end of Ave Lincoln a short walk from Indepencia so your access in and out of Gazcue is simple and there are a couple of sports fields and heli pads you can run the dog on just a short walk away, Luis Gomez 809-543-5385. There is a variety of self contained apartments from $500 up to about $700, security doors and nicely secured area with all the security for the schools around, day and night.
The only other places I know where you can get the short term agreement is just off GDG at $500p/m, with only one months deposit, but your wife might not be comfortable with the trip into and out of the city on public transport. Another further into the east side at $500 with no deposit, but I feel you'd need a car as your surrounded by pretty hard core living to get in and out.
As for walking to and from work? Well people Don't walk much around the city, it is way too hot, by the time you get to the office your clothes are soaked, and shoes are filthy, the side walks are too broken and dirty to get anywhere fast, clean and cool.

Good luck.