hey any body know were i can find a butcher for a nice thick rib steak

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
hello every one. i was hoping some one knows were to find a good butcher were i can find a nice rib steak around the sosua area. any help would be appreciated

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
try carniceria bavaria, on the main road in sosua, just next to the turn for sosua ocean village. they have the best cuts and if they do not have something in stock right now they will arrange for it.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
try carniceria bavaria, on the main road in sosua, just next to the turn for sosua ocean village. they have the best cuts and if they do not have something in stock right now they will arrange for it.

Is this USDA Prime or Dominican Free range?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
the problem is not only in finding the right cut, but primarily in finding the right cow

BelgianK

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
im hoping there is a descent cow at the market. some people say they let the cow get to old but i will try carniceria bavaria tomorrow

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you find beef you can actually eat there, please let us know. It is reportedly one of the better places to get beef here, and admittedly I have not tried it very much, but I was not impressed when I did with the beef. It was the typical un-aged shoe leather beef most places have here.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think you will do better in Santiago or Sto Domingo.

Its NYC and Poughkeepsie... the good stuff is in the bigger cities.

Nello.s Carnes Selectas in SD has good meat - Argentinian

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think you will do better in Santiago or Sto Domingo.

Its NYC and Poughkeepsie... the good stuff is in the bigger cities.

Nello.s Carnes Selectas in SD has good meat - Argentinian

If it requires a visit to Santiago or Santo Domingo, I will do without.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Is this USDA Prime or Dominican Free range?

the owner is german. it's fun to shop there because normally there is an older dude attending clients and he does not speak spanish nor english. kinda motivates me to learn german...

anyways, my father in law has few farms with meat cows. he has different breeds but all are grass fed, they just live happily walking around the finka until slaughter time comes. few times he sold his cows to the owner of carniceria bacaraia and he says the guy is very picky about animals he receives.
i personally go there for deli: loma de cerdo, jamon, salami, all types of wurst. had the meat few times, expensive but very good.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I go there for the same stuff DV8 does, and his porkchops are great as well. As she said, expensive but good quality. And he gives me free dog bones once in a while. Having said that... not impressed with the beef.

Now you can buy imported, frozen rib-eyes, per slice, in Playero. Also expensive, quality not up to US European standards, but a hell of a lot better than the local stuff.

BelgianK

the owner is german. it's fun to shop there because normally there is an older dude attending clients and he does not speak spanish nor english. kinda motivates me to learn german...

anyways, my father in law has few farms with meat cows. he has different breeds but all are grass fed, they just live happily walking around the finka until slaughter time comes. few times he sold his cows to the owner of carniceria bacaraia and he says the guy is very picky about animals he receives.
i personally go there for deli: loma de cerdo, jamon, salami, all types of wurst. had the meat few times, expensive but very good.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
I ,too looked at his steaks
and didnt buy!
dont forget germans are known for their brats and wurst ,not for their Steaks
Manu

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Don't you have your Maserati serviced in SD ??
Buy meat then..:glasses:

If I had a vehicle that could only be serviced in Santo Domingo, I would be sure to sell it.

As far as I know, there is no good local beef readily available on the north coast.

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
Most beef here is better marinaded for 24 hours, then it is normally pretty good, tastier too. I'm told the reason it is so tough is because of how long they [don't!] hang it.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
Just to start with they have inferior breed of ccattle here ,the grass they eat does not have a lot of nutrients the meat has no fat on it, you can't make lousy beef good just by hanging it for a couple of weeks.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Most beef here is better marinaded for 24 hours, then it is normally pretty good, tastier too. I'm told the reason it is so tough is because of how long they [don't!] hang it.

No degree of marinating has produced a good result for me. You are correct that one reason the beef is not good is that it is not aged (not hung as you called it). They don't have the faculties to do that here. Also the beef has very little fat and while that may be more healthy the lack of fat content detracts from the taste and tenderness.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Windy, the big cities have pretty good meat.

My last trip to SD , a Saturday, I saw locals picking up 2" thick steaks at my favourite place, Nello's.
Well, not really the locals - their staff.

Those steaks looked really good - the best I've seen.
We were only staying for a few more days so didn't buy any...... next time.
I'll report back.