studying medicine

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you can, in PUCMM. can be quite expensive thou, even for dominicans.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
In short, yes. Do pre-med at domestic school and consider going to med school in the caribbean. You will need good spanish to do clinical portions.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Depends, if you can speak Spanish, and read and write it, you can, either at PUCMM or Utesa..

HB

JP21

Jun 20, 2012
Hi All
I have a couple of questions. I'm thinking about studying medicine in DR. I'm interested to PUCMM and I want to start in January 2012. I'm 29 year old and I don't speak spanish but a few English, sometimes I think I'm too old for Medical school. cause it take too long 5.5 so I will have almost 36. But despite everything I don't want abandon my DREAMS. Basically, I'd really appreciate some unbiased advice. Thanks.

JP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you don't speak spanish and only "few" english. maybe you will be better off starting med school wherever you come from or at least in a country where you know the language?
i know that some countries do limit the age of day time students so your choice may be a narrow one. and in many countries you will pay dearly to study as a foreigner too.
also, i most places medical studies will take 6 years to finish and about 4 more before you even become a doctor. so if i were you i would do a little bit more research than watching grey's anatomy and house.

Jan 3, 2003
I've seen advertisements here in Miami which says become an MD in UCE which is in San Pedro in less than 6 years. The advertisements are in English. Do they teach in English over there? If they don't why would they advertise in English here in Miami?

As far as age is concerned don't let that get you down. You are very young. I've met MD residents in their 40's and 50's. There are NOT many around of course with the bulk being in the typical age range. Here though in the states they view those at that age as being more mature and ready for the rigors of medical school and residency. So forget the age thing but do find about UCE. I believe they teach in English but I may be wrong.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
age is a factor not because of the mentality but because of university rules. in poland one cannot start day time studies if above 29 (or it used to be like this when i still lived there). i know that in USA you can study whatever subject at whatever age but that cost lots of money. in case of medicine it will be what? few hundred thousand dollars in fees.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I've seen advertisements here in Miami which says become an MD in UCE which is in San Pedro in less than 6 years. The advertisements are in English. Do they teach in English over there? If they don't why would they advertise in English here in Miami?

As far as age is concerned don't let that get you down. You are very young. I've met MD residents in their 40's and 50's. There are NOT many around of course with the bulk being in the typical age range. Here though in the states they view those at that age as being more mature and ready for the rigors of medical school and residency. So forget the age thing but do find about UCE. I believe they teach in English but I may be wrong.

Yes, they teach in
English in the Capital .. I have seen them having their text books copied around the zona universaria... The goal is to sit for the boards in the US .. either NY or FL, I think are both offered here. I remember reading about a high percentage who were accepted for internships in NYC and passed the boards with flying colors//

I think that if you are willing and able and have the money to study here .. i e support yourself
you should follow your dream

but i am worried about having : a few" English///

but that is a minor and tricky mistake// the rest of your posting was excellent.

You might try taking some TOEFL tests .. to see if you really are competent in English. There is no use wasting your money and time on courses you will not understand.

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
Yes! You can study medicine in the DR even with limited spanish as you can learn as you go or learn it before starting med school it's not that hard to learn. Medical terminology in english and spanish are very similar. Example: The crane......El craneo....... The frontal bone...... El hueso frontal....Antibiotics...Antibioticos....you get the idea? The most hardest hurdle will be passing the monopoly USMLE step 1,2,3, etc in the states and the large debt you will have after finishing school with the student loans in the several 100 thousand dollars sometimes. Especially if you can not afford to pay it yourself.

Last edited:

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
Id like to join the topic, but my question is if there are shorter courses just for midwifes? I dont think i want to become a full time doctor (kinda too late for that too :)), but i would love to be obstetrician part time, may be even volunteering.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Actually midwifery is ILLEGAL in the DR...just goes to show you the strangle hold the doctors have on medicine here. A lot needs to be fixed, but I am betting SKing will start it rolling.

HB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
and besides, jessica, it is never too late to study anything. if i lived in santiago or SD i would probably go for medicine, out of my own interest and to my own satisfaction. i would not like to practice, ever, unless in the position of pathologist. patients talk way too much :)