Need feedback about living in Las Terranas Northeast Near SAMANA

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Hey any one have direct exprience living Las Terranis ,dr ? What it like? God ,bad, ugly? I have been there briefly twice over the years but never knew anyone living there to get a heads up on the area . Any body on this dr1.com site from this part of tow ,and got some knowledge too of playa Bonita? Thx

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Hey any one have direct exprience living Las Terranis ,dr ? What it like? God ,bad, ugly? I have been there briefly twice over the years but never knew anyone living there to get a heads up on the area . Any body on this dr1.com site from this part of tow ,and got some knowledge too of playa Bonita? Thx

Yes, for the most part good. Beaches very good; food good purchased from locals good; entertainment: not as much as the capital but a week-end visit is easy; transport good with own motorcycle or quad and to capital good by gagua ; Nature good; renting property good - adequate supply and most part good landlords - from 200 $ a month; local people friendly ; sports - sailing club plus horseriding plus kitesurfing plus mountain walking / cycling etc. ; pollution - not much compared with other parts of DR. Pricewise one of the cheaper parts of the DR; shopping limited but capital is 500 pesos return plus 2.5 hours away by gangua.

Playa Bonita is more isolated but more beautiful and has advantage of being near LT.

yapask1

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
That's what you get for 200 $ a month. Location: Pi2 town, Barrio Yanandu:

2vtwivr.jpg
[/IMG]

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012

2vtwivr.jpg
[/IMG]

All the time - landords are making profit from property advertized in LT 7 bought for $40,000 or so. $2,400 return is great - about 5% return to landlord plus appreciation of property.

Now new studios in LT are from $50,000 dollars.

Please advise this poster seriously mike.

yapask1.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012

2vtwivr.jpg
[/IMG]

All the time - landlords are making profit from property advertized in LT 7 bought for $40,000 or so. $2,400 return is great - about 5% return to landlord plus appreciation of property.

Now new studios in LT are from $50,000 dollars.

Please advise this poster seriously mike.

yapask1.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
I assume you have pictures of the 200 $ rental opportunities and can post them?

No intention of doing so not an estate agetn : LT7 the local newspaper appeals to Gringos not Dominicans. Note in the current issue prices start at $8,000 a month. Friends say this is what they are paying. Note advertised prices leave scope for negociation.

LT7.com

On a studio or 1 bed value $50,000 this give good reward for landlord.

If you want photos enquire yourself from landlords.

By the way I wrote from $200 - of course there are properties at $300, $400, etc. etc.

yapask1

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"If you want photos enquire yourself from landlords."

I don't want pictures, I want you to prove the BS you are posting ;)

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I assume you have pictures of the 200 $ rental opportunities and can post them?

I had him on this exact topic before Mike, it turns out he knows someone who knows a guys distant cousin who has a friend that once knew a guy who rented an apartment in LT for $200.

You're full of crap Yapask1, you and your two side kicks, pi2 and Yanadu. Change the tune, this one is old and boring.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
No ; my next door neighbor in my nice complex was paying $200 a month last year. People do not pay to advertize in LT7 unless they have something likely to appeal at 8000 pesos a month.

If you come here and chase property at from $200 you will find something. If you want a new studio there are offers about $50,000. It is not an expensive part of the country.

By the way stay at Nicki,s or Fata Mongano while you are looking $11 - $25 or so a night.

http://www.travellerspoint.com/budget-accommodation-en-ci-671.html

yapask1

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I have absolutely no doubt you can find apartments for $200 p/m, you can do that ANYWHERE in the country. As it goes I used to pay RD4,000 (near enough $100) p/m in Villa Mella, capital, several years ago when I was going through a weird spell in my life, albeit a brief spell thankfully. This was for a 3 bedroomed house, but I would never in my wildest dreams recommend it to anyone, yet alone a foreigner of sane mind, so I don't, because the information is useless, and to recommend the place is irresponsible of me, but it is there all the same.
Something is better than nothing is not always the case my friend.
what would be the average rental cost for expats in the area? Consider this and then you have a comfortable average as a number to hang out there as a typical rent, not the lowest rent you can find on the market, the info is useless, expats don't tend to live in these properties, do they. Well other than your next door neighbours friend, until last year when he moved onto your gated community with the boat house extension.
Carry on by all means, but I think you'll find the same reception as last time if you do.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Not so cheap, really.

Pricewise one of the cheaper parts of the DR

Most people would disagree.

We used to drive to SFdM (La Sirena) to buy at normal prices, and always saw LT people there doing their shopping also.

[The situation has somewhat improved as now there is some competition between the 3 larger supermarkets (Lindo, Rey, Atlantico) here and also the variety is good. 'Lindo' stocks a lot of things from France to cater for the large French community.]

Electricity is relatively expensive, around 16-19 Pesos / kWh (yes, different rates for different people) from a private company (Luz y Fuerza), but reliable with hardly any blackouts.

Seaweed is still cheap, though... :cheeky:

donP

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
LT and all smaller towns where foreigners live and visit are the most expensive towns in the country. Go to almost any small town in all of the DR which does not have foreigners and you will have countless options at 8000 a month. Geographically speaking, my guess would be over 99 % of the DR is foreigner free- we only live in a few places on the island.

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
I am not sure. I was in SD 4 weeks ago thinking I could bu cheaper than in LT. Yes I could shave 1 or 2 p a l of 10 lbs of rice 19 peso a lb in LT).
But wine 110 p a litre and up is defiinitely cheaper in LT. Many veg too. In Santo Domingo or Boca Chica going rate for a small beei in a good bar is 100 pesos. In LT many beach bars and other bars charge 100 pesos for a grande.

Electric in LT is from 14.9 pesos a kwh - but if you live somewhere without 24/7 electric and run a standy system this costs $$$ and is only 80% efficient. Bill in LT varies but 1000 - 2000 a month with economical usage.

yapask1

Most people would disagree.

We used to drive to SFdM (La Sirena) to buy at normal prices, and always saw LT people there doing their shopping also.

[The situation has somewhat improved as now there is some competition between the 3 larger supermarkets (Lindo, Rey, Atlantico) here and also the variety is good. 'Lindo' stocks a lot of things from France to cater for the large French community.]

Electricity is relatively expensive, around 16-19 Pesos / kWh (yes, different rates for different people) from a private company (Luz y Fuerza), but reliable with hardly any blackouts.

Seaweed is still cheap, though... :cheeky:

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Seaweed Grande Cuve?

...wine 110 p a litre and up is defiinitely cheaper in LT.

110 pesos for 1 litre of wine?
Maybe Seaweed Sauvignon.... :cheeky:

There is good Chilean wine (Vin?a Maipo, about 270 pesos/0.7 litre) available in LT and it probably costs the same elsewhere.

donP

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
No cartons of Italian or Spanish wine. Quite drinkable. However not for the special occasion to keep in your cave de vin and serve prior to the champagne at your banquet.

yapask1

110 pesos for 1 litre of wine?
Maybe Seaweed Sauvignon.... :cheeky:

There is good Chilean wine (Vin?a Maipo, about 270 pesos/0.7 litre) available in LT and it probably costs the same elsewhere.

donP

les1

Feb 1, 2007
Cheap renr

I imagine not all expats live in gated or expat areas but it sometimes seems that way. However it does seem that many would never consider anything but without exploring other options, which can vary a lot. My experience (in Rio San Juan) has been living in practically wholly dominican barrios. The last but one in a mostly very poor barrio where I rented a 2 bed house for 2500 peso a month and currently a rather more up market dominican barrio where I rent a one bed apartment for 4000 a month. I would add that because of the close proximity of friendly dominican neighbours I feel quite secure, probably more so than in an expensive expat area where you may have no close neighbours and also advertise your (relative) wealth.

I have absolutely no doubt you can find apartments for $200 p/m, you can do that ANYWHERE in the country. As it goes I used to pay RD4,000 (near enough $100) p/m in Villa Mella, capital, several years ago when I was going through a weird spell in my life, albeit a brief spell thankfully. This was for a 3 bedroomed house, but I would never in my wildest dreams recommend it to anyone, yet alone a foreigner of sane mind, so I don't, because the information is useless, and to recommend the place is irresponsible of me, but it is there all the same.
Something is better than nothing is not always the case my friend.
what would be the average rental cost for expats in the area? Consider this and then you have a comfortable average as a number to hang out there as a typical rent, not the lowest rent you can find on the market, the info is useless, expats don't tend to live in these properties, do they. Well other than your next door neighbours friend, until last year when he moved onto your gated community with the boat house extension.
Carry on by all means, but I think you'll find the same reception as last time if you do.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

I lived in LT for two years before I moved to the Capital and found LT more expensive for all the food.. yanandu notwithstanding. Friends up there say that studies have shown LT to be the MOST expensive place in the country. yanandu notwithstanding.

Don P has been there a long time and says food prices are coming down but I find the selection of veggies much better in the Capital although there is a great French butcher in LT who can even get you ground lamb.

Living in LT is not cheap.... even the Peace corps put the living costs UP for LT - over the price of the capital.. but there are plenty of Haitians living in barrios - they tell me that you can get a room for $1500. And lots of places for $5000 if you want to live there.

I would say that you will need $500 a month for an apartment. Yanandu notwithstanding