First timer needing some advise

Cowboy1

Aug 4, 2012
First I would like to say hello to DR1.com family. Myself and three other friend are planning a vacation to DR for the first time in the POP/Sosua area.

I need some names of good places to stay for four guys.

Which is best for the first time renting a car or hiring a driver?

Thanks

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
You need to decide what you are coming here for: the women, water sports, historical interest, beautiful scenery... night life, sight seeing...? Unless you speak the language and are good at finding your way around, it's probably best to have a driver you trust.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
It is pretty difficult to get lost on the Northcoast, a car between 4 will cost nothing, part of the adventure when exploring a new place is getting lost, and the epics it can bring with it. Hire a car, ave some freedom. Don't trust any new friends, including drivers, why open yourself up to exploitation.

Cowboy1

Aug 4, 2012
Thanks for the advice. As for a place to stay what would be best for a week villa, AI, or smaller hotel? What is the best beach in the area?

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Four guys coming on vacation? Hmmm...I would think a taxi would be safer. You needn't worry about drinking and driving or if your group grows by a few people (you know, new "friends" you make) you can haul them along. The taxis are minivan style and for a nice daily rate the driver will take you everywhere.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
When you and your friends exit the airport just hop in the first taxi you see and tell the guy you and your friends are looking for "fun" and he will do the rest. ENJOY!!!

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
ask yourself this question, how "close" do you want to be to the "action" ? that will determine suggestions on where to stay. most villas will require a car or driver but hotels will put you within walking distance to nightlife. i'm talking about sosua.
caberete is smaller and you can walk to everything. bigger beach and more beach activities.
i'm a terra linda hotel fan.....
Terra Linda Resort Sosua | Welcome To Terra Linda Resort!

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
@Isobel we will be coming to enjoy all. Do you know any trust worthy Drivers?[
[/QUOTE
]
There is only one local I have trusted with my vehicle when I was not also in it [to fetch me from SD airport] and on other occasions to share the driving on long journeys. He does not drink and there has never been a problem so far over the nine years I have known him.

I also know another nice man [I've never been driven by him] who drives his own vehicle and is open to possibilities. I've known him slightly for several years and he might be a possibility. He has two children studying medicine at university and could do with the money to help them, so I would think he is a serious sort of chap.

If you are interested in either of these, send me a PM.

senorblanco

Jun 11, 2006
Hi
First, rent a driver . Second make sure you do not over pay. You can figure out fair prices here on DR1 lots of good advice.
Stay n Sosua or Cabarete. POP is a little to urban for your first trip IMHO.
Sosua is a bit crazier with the girls etc...
You can get the same in Cabarete with a much better beach, water sports and cool night life. You can always take a trip to Sosua to check it out. I have a sweet place in Cabarete in the middle of town Private Message me for information

superfly_2000

Dec 12, 2007
I like the Sosua beach better but I do agree that Cabarete is a cool place to be as well. Thankfully you don't have to choose really. Sosua is amongst other things (like being cheap) also a perfect hub for transportation and I go almost every other day to Cabarete or Puerto Plata using the public cars. I'm staying here for a longer time so I have to cut my costs :p

Anyway I'd be glad to show you guys around. I need a wingmate actually for going to Cabarete, Puerto Plata and whatnot. Pm me. Its my 5th trip to the DR....so I've been around a bit :)

sunshinedon

Jul 28, 2012
I went there a month ago first time. I rented A car very cheap at airport. then you can go anywhere lots of cool places togo. i think all drivers may be drinking. at night take taxi.i stayed at blue bay villas very cheap all inclusive food drink lots of partying at resort nice beach all for around 60$ A NIGHT.THIS MAKES A GOOD CHEEP BASE CAMP. Age 18 and older diverse group.