La Romana to Punta Cana in 25 Minutes Driving

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Yes, I flew into La Romana yesterday and had to go to Punta Cana. A short way out of La Romana towards Higuey my driver asked if I wanted to try the new highway. Of course it was not open but a few hundred pesos to one of the workers and the barrier was lifted.

After spending about ,1,000 pesos to get through some more barricades and about 35 minutes later I was at the large circle before the circle at Puna Cana Village. I say less than 25 minutes driving time. You completely avoid Higuey. Road is great, no tolls.

Leonel opens this section Wed. and it is open to the public Thursday. Now it is nothing to go to SD from PC.

rubia1981

Jul 11, 2011
Any idea how long the drive from sd to punta cana airport is now using this new route? this may make flight options better for us.

Feb 7, 2007
It is STILL NOT piece of cake to get from PUJ to SD. La Romana and San Pedro overpass are still not completed. San Pedro overpass is just a 2 lane highway and in off-peak times e.g. at night it takes exactly the same time to cross San Pedro and to use overpass. You still have to go through La Romana and the highway starts about 8 km after La ROmana. That stretch of new highway is still just a "monte". Remember, autovia del Coral physically starts in La Romana, the rest is Autovia del Este, and that one is not yet completed.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Any idea how long the drive from sd to punta cana airport is now using this new route? this may make flight options better for us.[/

I would estimate about 2 hours or less, depending on traffic.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It is STILL NOT piece of cake to get from PUJ to SD. La Romana and San Pedro overpass are still not completed. San Pedro overpass is just a 2 lane highway and in off-peak times e.g. at night it takes exactly the same time to cross San Pedro and to use overpass. You still have to go through La Romana and the highway starts about 8 km after La ROmana. That stretch of new highway is still just a "monte". Remember, autovia del Coral physically starts in La Romana, the rest is Autovia del Este, and that one is not yet completed.

Oh come on, SD to la Romana is a piece of cake compared to how it was, say 8 years ago, the worst part of the trip always has been La roman - Higuey, and then you think you're almost there, wrong count 45 minutes more from Higuey to Babaro or Punta Cana. This Highway is a huge improvement and will reduce transit time by at least 1 hour, probably 1,5, not even being ready.

I would say: good job, Leonel!

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Yes, I flew into La Romana yesterday and had to go to Punta Cana. A short way out of La Romana towards Higuey my driver asked if I wanted to try the new highway. Of course it was not open but a few hundred pesos to one of the workers and the barrier was lifted.

After spending about ,1,000 pesos to get through some more barricades and about 35 minutes later I was at the large circle before the circle at Puna Cana Village. I say less than 25 minutes driving time. You completely avoid Higuey. Road is great, no tolls.

Leonel opens this section Wed. and it is open to the public Thursday. Now it is nothing to go to SD from PC.

Just math and physics, it's about 70 kms from La Romana airport to Punta Cana airport using the new highway, so you would have to go at least 150 km/h or 90 m/h to achieve that in less than 30 minutes, not counting the "bribe stops". At best, you had a very good chofer with a very fast car. And it was raining like hell yesterday!

Give me a break, please!!!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Mido, the distance is about 60 miles / 97 kilometers, airport to airport, using the existing roads in use, PUJ - La Otra Banda - Higuey - LRM. 25 - 35 minutes between the end points for the new road is reasonable, suspecting the driving distance has been shortened by the new road scheme.

Regards,

PJT

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
PJT, I have the plan of the new Coral Highway in front of me and that is the distance. Please check yourself! If you haven't got a map, use Google Earth, you will see! Your estimate is just wrong or wishful thinking.

Feb 7, 2007
Both PJT and mido are correct. PJT I what mido says is 70 kms, you say 97 kms and shortened by new road, that is what exactly mido says, 70 kms. Now calculate how fast you hav e to go to cover those 70 kms in 30 minutes. That would be 140 kmph. (Recall the math, 6th grade). Plus th bribe stops, plus the stormy wether yestrday. Impossible to have made that trek in 30 minutes.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Both PJT and mido are correct. PJT I what mido says is 70 kms, you say 97 kms and shortened by new road, that is what exactly mido says, 70 kms. Now calculate how fast you hav e to go to cover those 70 kms in 30 minutes. That would be 140 kmph. (Recall the math, 6th grade). Plus th bribe stops, plus the stormy wether yestrday. Impossible to have made that trek in 30 minutes.

From where I got on the hwy, which was 15 minutes past La Romana airport heading towards Higuey it was nowhere near 70 km to the end. There are signs every km on the distance. It was less than 50 km.

I drove the road. Others are googling it.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
And since it is "impossible", I have Five Thousand US that says I drive from where I got on the hwy to the end in less than 30 minutes.

Any "googlers" want to try me?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
From where I got on the hwy, which was 15 minutes past La Romana airport heading towards Higuey it was nowhere near 70 km to the end. There are signs every km on the distance. It was less than 50 km.

I drove the road. Others are googling it.

SKY,

PJT tends to agree with you, the one who drove the road, and expect the travel time airport to airport will be 30 minutes or under.

Regards,

PJT

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
PJT did some googling to find the as the crow flies distance between the two airports, PUJ and LRM.

Distance between 18 34' 0"N 68 22' 0"W [PUJ] and 18 25' 0"N 68 57' 0"W [LRM] is
39.6471 statute miles / 63.81 kilometers

This means ideally driving at 80 mph or 127 kph to cover the straight line distance in 30 minutes, Sky was boogying.

Regards,

PJT

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Googling this is completely worthless as the road does NOT go to the airport. It stops at the circle before PC Village. Also it does not start in La Romana. Where I got it I made clear in my posts.

By the way 30 minutes would be for a cripple driving. If I pushed it I would bet on under 25 if someone wants to gamble.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
And since it is "impossible", I have Five Thousand US that says I drive from where I got on the hwy to the end in less than 30 minutes.

Any "googlers" want to try me?

I know you're not Mit Romney in disguise.... 'cause he bets TEN grand at a time... LOLOLOL

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic

We all know education needs a lot of work here:
If you drive 25 minutes at 110km per hour; you will cover a distance of 44km, not 70km!
Most likely you can do the 70km in about 45 minutes; that's about 1 hour less then the old situation.

But who cares!
Highway "Autopista Del Coral" will release us from:

- more than 20 speed bumps,
- more than at least 25km of road filled with holes which destroy your wheel and/or suspension in a split second,
- disasters like: El Macao, El Salado, La Ceiba, Ca?ada Honda, La Jina, Hoyo de Isle?o, Veron, La Otra Banda, Barrio Kilometro 5, Hig?ey, La Malena, La Matilla, Ramon Gordo, Benerito, El Limon, etc. etc.
- people selling you worthless **** everywhere they can,
- people sneaking up on you to wash your windshield (which was clean before they threw their filthy sponge at it),
- people bringing a shovel and standing next to the road asking for money because they are "fixing" the road,
- people throwing flyers at you with the last salvation,
- public busses that stop every 5 mtrs,
- bus drivers parking their huge bus in the middle of the street because they need their empanada,
- car wrecks blocking the flow of traffic, driving at a speed of nothing,
- people overtaking where it is absolutely not possible,
- etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

In my opinion this is a great achievement of Leonel!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Hey Pal. I picked the road up at less than 50KM to the end. Add that up and tell me how long it will take. Find someone else to **** with.

One more thing. You might go 110KM per hour the way you drlve. I will go a lot faster on a straight divided hwy like this one.

Last edited:

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Hey Pal. I picked the road up at less than 50KM to the end. Add that up and tell me how long it will take. Find someone else to **** with.

Your referring to me?
If so, read my comment again: it was a reaction on the link you posted not on your post!