In need of a couple of used but good 6v batteries please....

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
It seems that 2 of my inverter batteries have died. The remaining 6 are in good condition although over two years old and I am advised not to add brand new ones.

Does anyone have one or two 6v batteries which are used but still good which I could purchase please?

I live nearby to Sabaneta de Yasica so close by would be nice but will be prepared to travel if necessary.

Thanks in advance folks.

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
Buying all new ones is the best but if your budget doesn't allow then this is the next best option. WB, Doesn't your guy have or know where to get a couple?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Buying all new ones is the best but if your budget doesn't allow then this is the next best option. WB, Doesn't your guy have or know where to get a couple?

He says I don't need all new ones at the moment and, yes, budget is a big problem in that respect. He doesn't have any at the moment but will look out for some for me but thought it might well be worthwhile asking the DR1 community too.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Hi Whirley,
We will be changing four of our twelve soon and may have some good ones - I expect to do this in the next week or so once we have our Residencies sorted on Tuesday.
I have a battery load tester to sort out the good from the bad and it is possible to put old good batteries in the same line.
Will let you know by Wednesday if we can help

Olly

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Hi Whirley,
We will be changing four of our twelve soon and may have some good ones - I expect to do this in the next week or so once we have our Residencies sorted on Tuesday.
I have a battery load tester to sort out the good from the bad and it is possible to put old good batteries in the same line.
Will let you know by Wednesday if we can help

Olly

That's great Olly.... look forward to hearing from you when you have news! Thanks.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Huge thanks to Olly (and the team) for helping me out by finding me an additional good battery, checking all my others properly and giving me sound advice.

Alexis Inverters in GH also came up with help and batteries for which I am also grateful.

Hope I am now all set for a while anyway.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
But, it didn't last long.... once again, I have just one battery which is dragging the others down so that they fail/ run down far more quickly than they should. As previously, I have been told not to replace this with a brand new one but to try to find a good used one with ample life left in it to join the existing bank. Can anyone help or know where I can source this please?

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
But, it didn't last long.... once again, I have just one battery which is dragging the others down so that they fail/ run down far more quickly than they should. As previously, I have been told not to replace this with a brand new one but to try to find a good used one with ample life left in it to join the existing bank. Can anyone help or know where I can source this please?

Sorry to hear that WB. I took all mine down to H.B. to be sold. However, his son is in the inverter/solar business and may be able to find you one or two, but he is in Santiago so a little far for you.

Used batteries with some sort of charge left on them go for about $500. pesos.

Good luck.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
There seem to be very mixed views as to whether it is sensible to mix new ones with older ones (when the older ones are still good I mean). If I could afford to replace all 8 on that bank and keep the good 6 to replace as and when needed in the other bank of 8 I would but that is really not viable for me at the moment.

I hear what you say regarding used ones with life in them being available for about RD$ 500 each but my problem is sourcing them locally not helped by my poor Spanish in trying to communicate with these people.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
There seem to be very mixed views as to whether it is sensible to mix new ones with older ones (when the older ones are still good I mean). If I could afford to replace all 8 on that bank and keep the good 6 to replace as and when needed in the other bank of 8 I would but that is really not viable for me at the moment.

I hear what you say regarding used ones with life in them being available for about RD$ 500 each but my problem is sourcing them locally not helped by my poor Spanish in trying to communicate with these people.

H.B. Jr. speaks almost perfect english... If that helps. See if you can get his phone number and at least get his opinion on mixing old/new batts. I've also been told NOT to do it since the older ones with a lesser charge capacity will bring down the news ones.... after awhile and depending on the state of the older batts. I don't know how long it would take to start doing damage to the new ones. I certainly would not put in a NEW bank connected to an older one... but I'm not the expert.

We have "battery collection trucks" going around all the time looking to buy old ones. I would think that someone in your town would know who and where they are. But you should have someone check the charge on what you would buy to see that they have at least some... 50% ??? using a hydrometer ???

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
W.B. I had a "dahhhh moment". Just about anyplace that sells new batteries takes the old ones most of the time. I'm sure that they will want more then the normal 500 for a used battery BUT if you can get someone to work with you for a used battery that is in OK condition then you solve your problem and gain a source.

I'll ask around here with people that I have bought from.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Despite lots of offers of help, I had eventually to make a decision. Had 8 x brand new batteries installed yesterday and went to pay the balance today - expensive option but at least I have peace of mind when street power off.

Last edited: