31 days to go

hopeful1

Aug 5, 2012
Hi all!

I'm moving to stgo in 31 days! I will be there for a year as a volunteer on a TIGHT budget. Your forums have been extremely helpful in the planning process. I have a 2 questions that I would like some input. I apologize if these questions are duplicates from other posts. I have read through this post (http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/122002-claro-stick.html) but still did not find the answer.

1. Internet service/phone calls to the states - I would like to use Skype to call home. My family is a little worried and I would like to call regularly (once a week or so). How much is the 3gb/5gb stick? Does Claro and Orange both offer this stick? Is it MAC compatible?

2. Cell phone-- I have Sprint US service which is useless abroad. I think I will go with a prepaid phone for local calls. Any tips? Best provider? What is a rough estimate of costs-- I have 500RD budgeted a month.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Peace to all!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Hello! I paid 3100 pesos for the Claro stick and 60 days/5G service. I actually only used 3G in the 60 days, but didn't skype much and stayed away from YouTube. I have a Mac, no problems.

I also used Claro for phone service, costs the same to call US as to call DR. Unlike the US, you do NOT pay for incoming calls.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
That price included the stick AND 2 months of internet. I left the country after the 2 months were up - I don't know how much it is for just the 5G/60 days. Next time I'll just get 3G, will be cheaper and all I need.