Any English speakers willing to teach English on south coast?

Sunshine81

Aug 5, 2012
Hello, I was wondering if there were any native English speakers living on the south coast (boca Chica, juan dolio area) who teach English? It is for my partner. He really just needs someone to sit and practice with. He has very basic English but lacks anyone to practice with, so it never really progresses properly.

Alternatively, does anyone know anyone who does this kind of thing or would be interested?

Thank you.

Sunshine81

Aug 5, 2012
I do not live there right now. I am trying to speak in english as much as possible when we talk daily. Telephone conversations and Skype are not enough. He is also attending an English school also but it seems the Dominican methods of teaching English are not very progressive.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I do not live there right now. I am trying to speak in english as much as possible when we talk daily. Telephone conversations and Skype are not enough. He is also attending an English school also but it seems the Dominican methods of teaching English are not very progressive.

How long has he been studying? Learning a new language takes a while. Beware of schools that promise people they'll be bilingual in 3 months.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
I teach English, but unfortunately on the north coast. There is a great programme up here on our cable TV called Vaughan English, channel 961 on de Lancer cable, for anyone with the same needs up here in the north. It is the channel just one back from 01. Here is their website. Maybe he can pick up the channel down there.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Sunshine,

You could ask him to register with Alison, and take free English courses from the British Council, in addition to the classes he's already taking.

Here's the link: List of Free Courses

Scroll past the halfway mark to 'English Language Skills' to see all the courses available.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I know you consider 'the Dominican method of teaching English is not very progressive', but have you considered he is just out of training. I know I couldn't pick up a language in a classroom environment if my life depended on it. I tried some years ago and the whole learning side of my brain just shut down, in actual fact all it did was disrupted what I already knew and confused me, set me back momentarily, made it more complicated than it needs to be.
Classroom environments don't work for some people once their minds have matured and changed. I consider my Spanish good and I learned everything quicker from being around it, classroom environments had a negative impact on my developement. Maybe try another approach, get a job where he gets to use it in a more natural surrounding. I hear on the grapevine a handful of barmen from the Hamaca in Boca are getting the boot for being a bit naughty, something like that would be perfect, half Spanaish half gringo punters.

But if he has a decent job then probably a stupid idea. Just a thought.

KJS73

Feb 25, 2011
I recently passed the CELTA course for teaching English to adults. Currently I'm applying at Dominco-Americano. I'm pretty good at one on one as I used to be a counselor. I live in Santo Domingo and we could possible work out a commute. PM if interested.