Cheapest way to call the U.S. from Santo Domingo?

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
DR1ers,

I need to spend an hour or more on the phone today with the U.S.

I already have a reasonably cheap international calling plan but it might be cheaper to go to a call center (or whatever they call them these days...assuming they still exist...where you make your calls and then pay on the way out).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

RHM

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
I pay 4 dollars a month for unlimited skype calls to the usa. It is priceless. I can do it from a computer lab, wifi connection or from a smartphone or blackberry. Other skype users can text and even videocall with me. I send text messages free and unlimited to the usa and receive them free and unlimited through pinger.com and can access it through the internet or an app on my smartphone.

You could also get a vonage accoutn and for about 18 dollars a month after taxes have it hooked up to your internet from free calls to the usa and form the usa.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Magic Jack if you call a lot. Forty dollars and you can call the US as much as you like, and as long as you like for free.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Google Talk . It is free from your computer ( without even having to purchase a Magic Jack.) If you really like FREE.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I don't want to sidetrack this thread [I use MagicJack from DR to US, it's great] but...

all of you mentioning Skype calls - last time I used Skype they offered me $4.95 a month to call any one country in the world. Anyone know if that would include cell phones in DR??

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I've been using Google Talk for over a year to make free calls to the US, landline or cell. I even have my android configured to make calls with GT when wifi is available. All one needs is a US landline to setup an account(no cell) and a proxy if one is out of the country. You are provided with a US number with your choice of area code.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I pay 4 dollars a month for unlimited skype calls to the usa.

That is pretty good, is this to cell phones also? I've used the old MJ but found it a bit tinny compared to some of the newer stuff out. But for domestic use this seems hard to beat, I didn't realise it was so cheap.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Wrong - it is unlimited to the USA from anywhere if you have a US MagicJack #. The only limitation is your internet connection, or lack thereof.

Really? I have 4 people that were not allowed to use it unlimited as a virtual call centre, reasons, it was outside the reasonable terms of blah blah blah. So has this now changed? Because this was the case last November. And no there was absolutely no lack of connection.

Infact I'm thinking the exact wordage was, 'this kind of usage extends what we consider reasonable use', just remembered that. Maybe it's changed, quite possible now with the pressure from alternative providers, it's getting tight out there.

Last edited:

osirus

Aug 4, 2012
There are dozens of free aps for android. Viber, Skype, Oovoo, Fring, Qik, Tango, and google voice to name a few. Vonage is good if you want to go the traditional route, but still need internet. Also try Magic jack plus. You can plug the usb device directly into your lan cable or router. No computer necessary.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have heard of times when Magic Jack has cut service when the usage was extremely high and they suspected it was being used in a call center. Normal use of a MagicJack by any one person would be very unlikely to have an issue. That said, I have a Magic Jack but use Google Talk.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have heard of times when Magic Jack has cut service when the usage was extremely high and they suspected it was being used in a call center. Normal use of a MagicJack by any one person would be very unlikely to have an issue. That said, I have a Magic Jack but use Google Talk.

Could you please tell me if you can call landlines and cell phones with Google Talk, or only people that have it on their computer?

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
If you want to or have to call US a lot and want great quality. I believe ooma is way to go. After I tested our company's ooma, I purchased one just in case I have some "extra" business opportunity arises. I was skeptical at first but our company is making a lot of calls to US and it was like we were in state with US phone number and all. All you have to do is just sign up with US credit card and all you pay is the few dollars in taxes per month.

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
Koreano, I use ooma too. No problems. I bought it 3 years ago for about 200.00 and I pay $3.00 in taxes a month as my phone bill... love it.