Angry Trujillo Has Something To Say About Today's DR

May 12, 2005
24516721.jpg

24517182.jpg

Mariot

Oct 13, 2009

is the chivo phrase an orginal quote? because i remember it was the official motto of a government information campaign for responsible behavior in traffic. the whole thing was a farce but it would be highly disturbing if said motto derived from a trujillo speech.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
And the point of this thread is ?

As much as it pains me to say it, the point of this thread is that Alvaro Arvelo is very right when he says: "Malo no es el tirano, malo es el pueblo que necesita de un tirano para poder funcionar". (The tyrant isn't the evil one, evil ones are the people that are in need of a tyrant in order to function)

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Oh, I see, I just couldn't see the point of speculating on what a dead tyrant would think of our present times.

How about the evil is still the tyrant that made it such a way that his people can no longer function without one ? :)

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Oh, I see, I just couldn't see the point of speculating on what a dead tyrant would think of our present times.

How about the evil is still the tyrant that made it such a way that his people can no longer function without one ? :)

He was only a symptom of a much larger (an ancient) evil, believe me. If he wouldn't have existed, the chaotic Dominican reality of the time would have found another substitute, trust me on this, even among the different chieftains that disputed themselves the national pie before him.

Mariot

Oct 13, 2009
He was only a symptom of a much larger (an ancient) evil, believe me. If he wouldn't have existed, the chaotic Dominican reality of the time would have found another substitute, trust me on this, even among the different chieftains that disputed themselves the national pie before him.

in that case, the evil one would be the tyrant that succeeded trujillo and prevented the dominican people from a successful democratic transition when the window of opportunity was there.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
I wonder if that poster is how the people began to call him The Goat or maybe he made the poster to capitalize on that.
Any Trujillo experts out there know?

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
in that case, the evil one would be the tyrant that succeeded trujillo and prevented the dominican people from a successful democratic transition when the window of opportunity was there.

And then you'll have another, and another, ad infinitum, because you and Africaida don't get the fact that one does nothing by eliminating a tyrant if the societal conditions (in our case, ancestral disorder) that gave rise to him still remain in place. It's not a matter of individuals, but of a whole system, or rather, non-system. The phrase "muerto el perro, se acab? la rabia" doesn't hold water in this case, and the reality of the country after the tyrant's death has been the best proof of this.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
And then you'll have another, and another, ad infinitum, because you and Africaida don't get the fact that one does nothing by eliminating a tyrant if the societal conditions (in our case, ancestral disorder) that gave rise to him still remain in place. It's not a matter of individuals, but of a whole system, or rather, non-system. The phrase "muerto el perro, se acab? la rabia" doesn't hold water in this case, and the reality of the country after the tyrant's death has been the best proof of this.

P.S: Nature abhors a vacuum, including a power vacuum; and if a vacuum exists, someone is going to step in and fill it.

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
The old timers tell me ****ing on the side of the road got you 6 months in the pokey under Trujllio. But that's a minor point of history. The big picture points to the fact that every political system / leader has its good and bad and the good societal aspects under Trujillo were many, as well as the bad. K