Immigration lawyer

ynos

Aug 6, 2012
I want to find a good immigration lawyer in Santiago, I'm trying to get my wife a visa.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Where are you applying for a visa for? You need the immigration lawyer to be from the country that you are applying to, not from.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Need to know for what country and the type of visa. If the visa is to the US, you can do the work yourself. A lawyer will provide little if any benefit.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
If it is for the UK, get one, worth their weight in gold if you get a good one. But like windy said, it depends on the type of visa required. You won't want a lawyer for a tourist or student visa, (tourist for uk, lucky to get one this year, student, inhouse lawyers to do it for you).

Last edited:

LeeStetson

Jan 11, 2012
I am calling on some old timers to answer this question I have:

Wouldn't it be safer to work with an immigration lawyer in the D.R. who works independently outside the immigration office? I have used both. I have used a lawyer who had an office outside of immigration and I have also used a lawyer who worked inside immigration.

Do you old timers with experience feel that a lawyer who works outside of the D.R. immigration office will have more of an interest in helping the client over helping immigration get as much money as they can get versus working with a lawyer who is based in immigration who may want to help immigration get as much money as they can out of the client's pockets?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am calling on some old timers to answer this question I have:

Wouldn't it be safer to work with an immigration lawyer in the D.R. who works independently outside the immigration office? I have used both. I have used a lawyer who had an office outside of immigration and I have also used a lawyer who worked inside immigration.

Do you old timers with experience feel that a lawyer who works outside of the D.R. immigration office will have more of an interest in helping the client over helping immigration get as much money as they can get versus working with a lawyer who is based in immigration who may want to help immigration get as much money as they can out of the client's pockets?

This thread is actually about visas out of the DR. But to respond to your question it has more to do with the individual lawyer than if the are in or oustide of the migration department. Those with connections make things happen quickly and sometimes that is worth spending more money. Especially if you are forced to be in Santo Domingo during the process.