Netflix?

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
Anyone have any luck with Netflix using a Dominican IP and a Dominican internet provider like Orange or Claro?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Netflix works fine in the DR. I signed up and use it via my Claro IP.

If you want more films, TV shows etc, connect via a USA based IP after you have signed up.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
apparently we have netflix but the choice is very poor. not that i care since i have never used it and i never will. but yeah, it works.

Aspire

Nov 11, 2007
Yes, I use Netflix, mostly now for catching up on Breaking Bad. Works well, but the number of available choices is much lower as we are "international".

Robert, do you use a service for the US IP address or ....? Can you recommend something that works for you. I tried a web service with a monthly fee, but couldn't get it to work.

Thanks.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Yes, I use Netflix, mostly now for catching up on Breaking Bad. Works well, but the number of available choices is much lower as we are "international".

Robert, do you use a service for the US IP address or ....? Can you recommend something that works for you. I tried a web service with a monthly fee, but couldn't get it to work.

Thanks.

Hold on, so if you are in DR you get less programming than in the US? Thats crazy! What is you originally have a US based Netflix account and move to DR and try to access Netflix from down there; would you get DR programming or US?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

Thanks.

hidemyass.com if you're just using it on a PC.

If you have a TV with a wireless connection. Create an ad-hoc network and stream it that way to your TV.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Hold on, so if you are in DR you get less programming than in the US? Thats crazy!

That's normal for a bunch of online services, it's related to the content licensing.

Use a USA IP after you have signed up and you will get access as if in the USA.

US$7.99 monthly, not a bad deal if you like watching TV :)

Mariot

Oct 13, 2009
hidemyass.com if you're just using it on a PC.

If you have a TV with a wireless connection. Create an ad-hoc network and stream it that way to your TV.

doesn't that slow your connection down? it's been a while since i used it, but back than streaming was impossible, because the connection got so slow.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
doesn't that slow your connection down? it's been a while since i used it, but back than streaming was impossible, because the connection got so slow.

All depends on the speed of your connection?

Mine is always around 3-4 MB and I never have a problem with watching Netflix here in Santo Domingo.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Also depends where you live. I live in Cabarete and get my internet through Delancer cable. I have the 3mb package which has the added bonus of an IP address in the US. Today I'm in Miami, but sometimes I'm in Ft Lauderdale!

Runs Netflix flawlessly and I get the whole US content including HD streams.

I also subscribe to Hidemyass as recommended by Robert. As I travel a lot around South America I like to watch US based Netflix and UK based BBC iPlayer on my laptop. Works great!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
we used netflix in DR last trip...no problem at all. we were using the hotels wifi. The selection for on line is just so so. but not bad for 8 bucks a month...considering there is just so much not to watch on TV here in the US or in DR.

cleverlemming

Jul 14, 2012
For what it's worth, I find that accessing Netflix is much faster through a US or European IP. I get "loading" icons for two or three minutes when I try to sign in with a Dominican Republic IP. Using a U.S. IP, sign-up speed is almost normal. I don't see a big difference in the quality of the streams, or haven't so far, but am assuming that they are on different servers.

The other difference is in the availability of subtitles. If you watch Amores Perros from a U.S. IP, you'll get Spanish audio with English subtitles. If you watch the same movie from a Dominican IP, there is no English subtitle option.