Need help: my daughter is in the DR with expired passport

antoniusbl

Oct 27, 2007
Miami, Florida, United States
The situation is that my six year old daughter is in the DR with an expired US passport. She is down here for the summer and my plan was to get an extension for her in July, but events conspired such that I could not arrange this until now. I was under the mistaken impression that it would not be a problem to have this done a lot quicker than it now seems possible without an emergency request.

I was told that my circumstances would probably not qualify me as an emergency case where I could have request expedited for an emergency extension and I would need to wait the standard 2-3 weeks for an extension. In addition to that, I was told that emergency cases require proof of travel plans in order to qualify as an emergency and it doesn't make any sense to buy non-refundable airline tickets that I very likely will need to cancel.

Since it now looks very doubtful that I will get a passport extension until after her school in the US starts on Aug 20, here are my questions:

will my daughter be allowed to travel to and re-enter the US with an expired US passport and an original Consular Report of Birth Abroad Report. It looks like re-entry by air may not be possible but what about taking the ferry to San Juan to re-enter the US?

what about if I get her a Dominican passport (establishes identity) along with the US Consular Report of Birth Abroad (establishes US citizenship). Would this combination allow her to travel to the US?

how strict is the embassy about requiring proof of travel to qualify as an emergency? I would think that a rational human would understand that a six year old being in school is an emergency situation to a greater extent than someone that needs to incur a change fee because they cant make their reserved flight date. (I really do not understand why they dont just require someone to pay an extra $100 to expedite rather than show proof of travel plans).

My appointment at the embassy is scheduled for tomorrow. Any tips for what to have prepared to get a positive result? Any other advice on how to resolve this situation to my advantage? I do request responses refrain from scolding me about not taking action on renewing the passport earlier as I am now well aware of this error in judgment on my part. Thanks to everyone in advance.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I don't think you can get much help from dr1 at this point. Tomorrow when you have your appointment you will get answers you can rely on.

Given the age of your daughter and the need to be back for school, I don't think you will have a problem.

But if worse comes to worse, a 6 year old child that is delayed getting back until the passport is renewed in the normal manner is not that serious of a problem. It would only be a couple of weeks at most.

But I predict you will get your problem resolved tomorrow.

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
I will say that you might be able to get in without a problem because she is traveling back to her native country in which case what can the customs agent do deport her back to the DR when she is an American citizen I think so.

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
Also comes the question why did you allow this to happen when you knew first hand that her passport were going to expire within weeks and another question that comes to my mind is, how was that she was allow to travel outside the USA with a passport that was expiring in few months or was she living here and not in the USA?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
few weeks ago in poland a couple was leaving for holidays with their daughter when they found out, at the airport, that her passport has expired. they left here there and went on with their flight to greece...
not that i am suggesting anything ;)

is your daughter american? i was under the impression that one could come back to their home country even on expired passport? i hope the embassy can solve your problem. good luck!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
i do not think there is an airline which will let you board with an expired passport. At least that is what my airline told me a number of months back.

BelgianK

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
If your daughter is an American citizen, she can return to the US with an expired passport. I have traveled with both my daughter and son on an expired passport returning to the US. You will not have any problems.

DIESEL1

Dec 29, 2008
If your daughter is an American citizen, she can return to the US with an expired passport. I have traveled with both my daughter and son on an expired passport returning to the US. You will not have any problems.

Depends on the Airline, sad to say this happened to me 2 years ago with my daughter. JetBlue did not let her board. I was told by some people AA would have let her on.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Section 215 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1185) states:

Citizens:
Except as otherwise provided by the President and subject to such limitations and exceptions as the President may authorize and prescribe, it shall be unlawful for any citizen of the United States to depart from or enter, or attempt to depart from or enter, the United States unless he bears a valid United States passport.
(c)Definitions
The term "United States" as used in this section includes the Canal Zone, and all territory and waters, continental or insular, subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. The term "person" as used in this section shall be deemed to mean any individual, partnership, association, company, or other incorporated body of individuals, or corporation, or body politic."

This means you must ensure you have a valid U.S. passport for travel from and to the United States at all times.

Unlike a lost or stolen passport, an expired passport does not constitute an emergency that normally warrants the issuance of an emergency passport

NotLurking

antoniusbl

Oct 27, 2007
Also comes the question why did you allow this to happen when you knew first hand that her passport were going to expire within weeks and another question that comes to my mind is, how was that she was allow to travel outside the USA with a passport that was expiring in few months or was she living here and not in the USA?

I acknowledge that I should not have let it get to this point. I was under the impression that one could get an expedited passport for a fee similar to the service offered when you are in the US and did not understand that those services are only offered on an emergency basis from the consulate. I also had to go back to the US earlier than expected in June and just got back to the a couple days ago to take care of this.

My daughter goes to school in the US and she spends most of the summer in the DR with her family (she was born in the DR). I try to spend as much of the summer as possible in the DR as well with the wife and my two stepkids. I will be sure that I dont end up in this situation again in the future.

antoniusbl

Oct 27, 2007
Section 215 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1185) states:

Citizens:
Except as otherwise provided by the President and subject to such limitations and exceptions as the President may authorize and prescribe, it shall be unlawful for any citizen of the United States to depart from or enter, or attempt to depart from or enter, the United States unless he bears a valid United States passport.
(c)Definitions
The term "United States" as used in this section includes the Canal Zone, and all territory and waters, continental or insular, subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. The term "person" as used in this section shall be deemed to mean any individual, partnership, association, company, or other incorporated body of individuals, or corporation, or body politic."

This means you must ensure you have a valid U.S. passport for travel from and to the United States at all times.

Unlike a lost or stolen passport, an expired passport does not constitute an emergency that normally warrants the issuance of an emergency passport

NotLurking

Not sure how that applies since the passport was valid when we departed. I suppose you are saying that someone who just up and loses their passport due to carelessness is more entitled to an emergency expedition than a six year old that would then miss several weeks of school.

Fine if they want to punish me, but what is the point of taking it out on a little girl that had nothing to do with it? I would be happy to pay an extra $100 or more and it would be no skin of their back to take the money as pure profit. This is how it is done from inside the US and I am sure that they could figure out how to do something similar over here.

BTW, after what I have been through getting my wife and stepkids their visas and other services that were not delivered in the time frame promised (as in the case of the processing of my wife's visa the timeline as defined by statute), the embassy down here owes me at least this one.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
One does not have to wait until the expiration date to renew a passport.

You could have done it months ago.

I had my wife renew her's 6 months early as the expiration date was when we normally travel
.............. and I wanted to avoid any "hiccups".

Expired Passport: Horrible

Renewed Early: PRICELESS :cool:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Can't you buy a REFUNDABLE ticket, and then get the emergency passport? Worst case scenario is you have to reschedule the flight, but you won't lose the ticket cost.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Not sure how that applies since the passport was valid when we departed. I suppose you are saying that someone who just up and loses their passport due to carelessness is more entitled to an emergency expedition than a six year old that would then miss several weeks of school.
My friend I'm not saying anything. The Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1185) clearly states that a valid passport is required to both exit and enter the US. A poster suggested your daughter could enter the US on an expired passport and she probably could. I was just pointing out what the law is on the matter for your convenience.

With regard to what the US consular considers an emergency, again, I'm not saying anything other than pointing out that and expired passport does not constitute and emergency as does a lost or stolen passport.

Regards,
NotLurking

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I haven't read it all but are you not supposed to have at least 6 months on your passport before travelling to DR. Or is this just a European thing.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
so, if he is smart and thinks like a Dominican, he should go to the local police, and report the passport lost. Then he can go with the report to the embassy and get an emergency passport.

Not suggesting anything, but...

BelgianK

My friend I'm not saying anything. The Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1185) clearly states that a valid passport is required to both exit and enter the US. A poster suggested your daughter could enter the US on an expired passport and she probably could. I was just pointing out what the law is on the matter for your convenience.

With regard to what the US consular considers an emergency, again, I'm not saying anything other than pointing out that and expired passport does not constitute and emergency as does a lost or stolen passport.

Regards,
NotLurking

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
I don't know what the talk is of emergency.3 years ago I walked itno the US Embassy and walked out with my new passport without any declared emergency. How can her passport be expired? Mine is good for 10 years, and if she isn't even 10 years old How many years was hers good for?

Children 15 and under only get 5 years on their passports.

Expedited processing is not available for passports when you apply from outside the United States. All passports requested from overseas are printed in the U.S. and sent to your embassy or consulate. In an emergency, embassies or consulates can issue limited validity passports. Contact them directly for more information.

Source: Applying for a U.S. Passport from Outside the United States

NotLurking

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Uhhh, they have to renew a passport, not get a new one...Seems to me that that process should be a bit faster. I have had it done pretty quick.

Humm,,now that you mention it, let me check on mine!!

HB