Cars: Is it recommended to have one car per person?

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
Can a couple be fine with one car and one moto or is two cars better in the Cabarete area (one small SUV and a small car fox example)? I guess rain would be a disadvantage when riding but my biggest issue is safety!
This is assuming only one needs a car to commute. How about with kids?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
One car is enough. I've gotten along in this country for 26 years without a car by walking and taking public transportation.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
We have one car which we use only if we know we need a lot of heavy shopping done (like once a week...). or when visiting a restaurant in the evening...

For the rest you will see me cruising om my chinese moto...

BelgianK

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we have two cars (two people): one is a small economical capa and the other is a highlander. capa is an everyday car for going around town, shopping and so on. occasionally i take it to santiago (because i am not so confident driving a jeep). bigger car is for driving at night, longer trips and bad weather.

it works well but then we have a normal dominican life with work, family visits, business trips and so on. if you plan to chill out and live a beach life one car is more than enough. but beware than while public transport may be cheap it is not very cheerful. if you take the car and you wife needs to take kids somewhere she will not be happy. also at night and in bad weather you cannot count on motos and carros publicos.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
I guess it depends on many many factors. If you can afford it, Ide say do what dv8 has which is a family vehicle (SUV) and an economical vehicle for moving around town. If you can't afford it, I don't see why 1 vehicle would be enough. You would just have to organize your life around that. When I move down there initially there will only be 1 vehicle for the family; of course, in Santiago, most family, businesses, recreation is no more than 10-15 minutes away.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I agree it depends on many factor. If you and your spouse have to use car constantly I'd say buy two. If now I guess you can get by one car. In my situation we would need to purchase 1 car/small suv since I have company Van I can use if I need to move large things.