Fair taxi driver with dominican, not touristic fares????

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
Hi folks, due to some personal matters in the next future I will need to take some taxis quite often.

I am wondering if any of you knows a fair taxi driver, anyone who does not charge "western" fares in a "developing" country.

The typical 13$ fare for any ride around Bavaro is a big ripp-off, as that is same prices as living in Europe, and this is not Europe ...

I was charged for that for a ride from Plaza Bavaro to Punta Cana hospital center, that is just 5 mins ride, so a real robbery, an absolut no-sense.

You can give examples of rides and fares you got here in Bavaro.

Thanks folks!

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
don't take taxis often... last two: first, taxi from Friusa Crossing (Texico) to Cortecito (maybe 5 mins???) 15.00 U.S. Second, "emergency" ride from Cortecito to P.C. airport 20 - 25 mins (my scheduled taxi didn't show up, condo security guy got one for us), 25.00 U.S. (he got a big tip for not trying to rip me off).

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
I think I have taken a taxi just 3 times, all of them for emergencies, so not able to arrange the price ...
What a f...ing mafia they are, I really cannot take it. Like the guaguas, another big mafia with ****ty services ...
The only thing I can do is laughing on their faces when telling me the fare .... I have done many times, better that than insulting them ...
Maybe some will talk about the gasoil price, but, last time I went to Higuey, and back, we spent just 500 pesos for gasoil, so thats a good example that they cannot even hide the rip-off talking about the high price of gasoil ...

Lets see if anyone knows a decent one and give me contact details ...

Cheers.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
One thing to bear in mind - buying a car here is much more expensive than in Europe and running it is not much cheaper.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
~Super Pola San Juan Shopping Plza to Cortecito $10.00 two people~

~Cortecito to Tony Romas back to Cortecito $15.00 four people round trip...driver came back for us....I was shocked...we promised him big tip:)

~If you can try to get a taxi on a NON-emergency basis, get his phone number and tell him to give you the best price he has, all while telling him that if the price is good you will call ONLY him as your taxi driver....I know a lot of folks work out deals with the drivers if they are commited to using them.....

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
OH... another taxi ride with a highly recommended driver ... we needed to cover several bases.. was quoted 35.00 took us to a few places shopping for various stuff... including to a "friend" to buy a water dispenser, (got ripped off -- wonder how much his cut was), then when we got back, the price somehow jumped to 45.00 because we went to extra places, (which weren't actually extra... they were to be included anyway). BTW... this was the guy who set up our ride to the airport that was a no show. Let's just say, I don't recommend this guy to anyone.