Looking to teach English in Santiago

PCMissionary

Aug 5, 2011
What are the top English-learning schools here in Santiago. I know there are a ton, but some are of terrible quality. I'm looking to teach in a school with a reputation for quality and professionalism.

If you were looking to teach English in Santiago, which school(s) would top your list? Why?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Santiago Christian School is considered the leader by most here. They are well established but I understand they have a high turnover rate. Also, the market is a little tough now so you may have to look around. It is certainly preferable if you have an education background.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
why not aim higher? teaching english at the university, maybe? PUCMM or UTESA?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The OP said " English learning" , which means places that teach English. I posted the three major places.

Of course Santiago Christian School is the premier English language school in Santiago. Of course the PUCMM is a great place to teach English, but that is not what the OP asked about.

The requirements to teach at these places are a lot, lot more than what is required to teach at the three I mentioned.

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Forget websites, you need to go there and talk to the directors. Otherwise not worth the effort.

Here it is p2p...

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Times are tough for teachers is what I've been told. I had been trying to get a job as an English teacher at various places, incl JFK and they weren't interested enough to interview me. Then again I have an Engineering degree and no education experience.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The OP said " English learning" , which means places that teach English. Of course the PUCMM is a great place to teach English, but that is not what the OP asked about.
HB

i actually did not notice "english-learning" part. but anyways, universities here do not have facultad de filologia inglesa?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
i actually did not notice "english-learning" part. but anyways, universities here do not have facultad de filologia inglesa?

Wow dv8 I'm impressed with that word filologia. I had to translate it twice - first from Spanish to English and then from English to pauper English.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
don't be :) this word is derived from greek and also exist in polish, same spelling, sans the accent. and i did study filologia polaca for some time ;)
but i understand that philology is not a common word in english :)

in poland every university has a variety of language faculties, where one can study both the literature and the language itself. it also encompasses history and geography of the language region and includes related idiomas.

baby bori

May 18, 2010
Know where the real money is at? After I finish physical therapy school in 2 years work for 10-12 yrs move down to the DR and open a Banca Deportiva and live my retirement there LOL..... English teaching is cool I have TESL certification but I won't get paid to well unfortunately maybe RD $20000-$25000 pesos a month