CNN has news today DR importing used clothing

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
So, unfortunately caught just very tail end, but will no doubt be repeated all day. I suspect it all has to do with anger over the ban on used clothing.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

<object width="416" height="374" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="ep"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="movie" value="http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/apps/cvp/3.0/swf/cnn_416x234_embed.swf?context=embed&videoId=world/2012/08/08/romo-dominican-used-clothes.cnn" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/apps/cvp/3.0/swf/cnn_416x234_embed.swf?context=embed&videoId=world/2012/08/08/romo-dominican-used-clothes.cnn" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="416" wmode="transparent" height="374"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2003
It's truly sad if it goes through. The DR and its crony cadre of elitists believes you can make poverty disappear by making the businesses that employ and clothe, feed poor people disappear. Many here want to present to us a picture of the DR which is patently false. They show us malls and high-rises as if that is proof that poverty is not as great as we make it seem. The used clothes business is proof positive of the grinding poverty and misery with which the general Dominican population lives in.

The DR is an extremely poor and destitute nation. Don't be fooled by ridiculous pictures of Ferraris, Lambos, malls and high-rises lull you into a false sense of complacency regarding this. In any poor nation, you'll find a small group displaying wealth with disregard to the needs of the general population. Zimbabwe which is as broke as you can get under a hyper-inflationary environment also has Ferraris, high-rises and the like. Such accoutrements of wealth are not evidence of a prosperous nation nor do they make the DR unique.

You can go to any nation in Latin America like Honduras for example which also suffers from grinding poverty and you find the same articles of wealth. It is evidence of nothing at all. The DR is not unique in this. The DR is an endemically poor nation with crushing levels of poverty unlike anything you see in the USA. That's why Dominicans when given the chance will escape that island prison for parts North hoping to land in NYC which is nirvana for them.

The most insidiously hypocritical stance though is by those who want to pull the wool over us. They want us to believe the opposite is true. They want to present a DR on the par with a Western European capital. This mentality is not restricted to Pick and Nails. You'll find many Dominicans within the USA mirroring the same sentiment. It makes you wonder though what the hell are they doing cleaning toilets, tending gardens and babysitting children in the US of A if the DR is such a great place as they describe it to be.

I call them out on this whenever I get the chance. If they find the DR so superior to the USA, then why don't they leave. Get the heck out of the US. Return to the DR at once and then tell us how wonderful the DR actually is. It isn't. Life in the DR is like running an obstacle course in the Gobi desert. You are constantly behind the 8-ball alone and unaided by a govt that frankly even if it wanted to could not. Social services are lacking. Jobs are lacking. The quality of life is dismal.

So if and when this ban goes through, those least able to will be the ones most affected by it. The DR poor will become that much poorer. A source of jobs and cheap clothing will be stripped away from them. It's typical of a third world third rate nation were presentation is more than substance. What matters is how it looks not if it works and this ban is evidence of that.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
It's truly sad if it goes through. The DR and its crony cadre of elitists believes you can make poverty disappear by making the businesses that employ and clothe, feed poor people disappear. Many here want to present to us a picture of the DR which is patently false. They show us malls and high-rises as if that is proof that poverty is not as great as we make it seem. The used clothes business is proof positive of the grinding poverty and misery with which the general Dominican population lives in.

The DR is an extremely poor and destitute nation. Don't be fooled by ridiculous pictures of Ferraris, Lambos, malls and high-rises lull you into a false sense of complacency regarding this. In any poor nation, you'll find a small group displaying wealth with disregard to the needs of the general population. Zimbabwe which is as broke as you can get under a hyper-inflationary environment also has Ferraris, high-rises and the like. Such accoutrements of wealth are not evidence of a prosperous nation nor do they make the DR unique.

You can go to any nation in Latin America like Honduras for example which also suffers from grinding poverty and you find the same articles of wealth. It is evidence of nothing at all. The DR is not unique in this. The DR is an endemically poor nation with crushing levels of poverty unlike anything you see in the USA. That's why Dominicans when given the chance will escape that island prison for parts North hoping to land in NYC which is nirvana for them.

The most insidiously hypocritical stance though is by those who want to pull the wool over us. They want us to believe the opposite is true. They want to present a DR on the par with a Western European capital. This mentality is not restricted to Pick and Nails. You'll find many Dominicans within the USA mirroring the same sentiment. It makes you wonder though what the hell are they doing cleaning toilets, tending gardens and babysitting children in the US of A if the DR is such a great place as they describe it to be.

I call them out on this whenever I get the chance. If they find the DR so superior to the USA, then why don't they leave. Get the heck out of the US. Return to the DR at once and then tell us how wonderful the DR actually is. It isn't. Life in the DR is like running an obstacle course in the Gobi desert. You are constantly behind the 8-ball alone and unaided by a govt that frankly even if it wanted to could not. Social services are lacking. Jobs are lacking. The quality of life is dismal.

So if and when this ban goes through, those least able to will be the ones most affected by it. The DR poor will become that much poorer. A source of jobs and cheap clothing will be stripped away from them. It's typical of a third world third rate nation were presentation is more than substance. What matters is how it looks not if it works and this ban is evidence of that.

Wait! So you mean to say that the billion dollar biz of second hand clothes in the USA, Spain, Canada, France, Italy, etc... Which is about a bazillion times fold the actual amount of the market in the DR, is the actual economic state of those countries' people??!!?????

Do you happen to understand that in the U.S. of A. alone the used clothing biz is a billion dollar industry, which generates over 12 billion pounds of used clothes each year? That only in registered thrift used clothes stores the number is bigger than any other developed or undeveloped nation save for France and India?

Do you understand that you can go online to Ebay and shop for designer duds all USED in the Ole U.S.A. and see that there's a larger market online than in brick and mortar?

You really need to do your homework, before you go around posting such utter Blah, blah, blah on a public forum...

So, given the numbers is the U.S.A's prosperity and middle class a mirage behind all those Gotham's skyscrapers?

Pleaaaazzzzeeee!

In the U.S. major labels and biz groups have tried for decades to have the used clothing biz shut down and only restricted to exports. Unlucky for them, each time they tried to muscle their way, they got beat down horribly.

They even pushed the local authorities to limit where and how many thrift stores can operate within shopping districts.

Stop talking of stuff you certainly show to know nothing about in the first place, and secondly and worst, trying to make a point about the DR economy on all this.

Stick to other topics...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Do you understand that you can go online to Ebay and shop for designer duds all USED in the Ole U.S.A. and see that there's a larger market online than in brick and mortar?

In the U.S. major labels and biz groups have tried for decades to have the used clothing biz shut down and only restricted to exports. Unlucky for them, each time they tried to muscle their way, they got beat down horribly.

They even pushed the local authorities to limit where and how many thrift stores can operate within shopping districts.

Stop talking of stuff you certainly show to know nothing about in the first place, and secondly and worst, trying to make a point about the DR economy on all this.

Stick to other topics...

Fortunately the powers that be did not shut down such businesses in the US, but those in the real power in the DR do seem that they will finally shut down the business in the DR where I think the percentage of people who need inexpensive clothing is likely to be higher. And after all, it is not about the US or it happens everywhere, it is about THE DR, is it not?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Fortunately the powers that be did not shut down such businesses in the US, but those in the real power in the DR do seem that they will finally shut down the business in the DR where I think the percentage of people who need inexpensive clothing is likely to be higher. And after all, it is not about the US or it happens everywhere, it is about THE DR, is it not?

The biz is that in the DR the large and small stores IMPORT NEW clothes in packs and boxes and declare them as USED when they are far from it. This is hurting the biz that do their imports legit and pay the corresponding taxes.

The problem is big, since Aduanas can't open each and every box to check for these guys and atop that, they even remove the labels from the clothes and reattach them once they land in the DR door to door.

Can you imagine trying to compete for clients if you must pay import taxes on a pair of jeans than the same dealers import as used clothes and pay nothing but shipping for?

It's a huge problem and the solution is incorrectly to ban all such imports, but to make the shipping companies liable for any found violations with hefty penalties. The problem with that approach is that it can't be legally prosecuted by the DR as wanted. We have trade agreements that deal with this and protect (sadly) these abuses by such shipping companies overseas.

How do you propose the DR deals with this? Make it a legit way that allows for trading agreements to pass muster and also protects the importers that PAY their taxes on aduanas, but deal directly with the violators.

It's very hard to do and the latest reports on the media open the problem to all. As the aduanas indicated, it can't place such ban at all.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
And after all, it is not about the US or it happens everywhere, it is about THE DR, is it not?

windeguy, lets be fair. Yes it is about the DR but O/C opened the door by making a comparison of the DR poor to the USA poor or actually used the USA poor as a reference point to judge the DR poor. The USA was referenced by O/C's first. Why can't Pichardo use the USA as a bases for comparison? What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

NotLurking

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
windeguy, lets be fair. Yes it is about the DR but O/C opened the door by making a comparison of the DR poor to the USA poor or actually used the USA poor as a reference point to judge the DR poor. The USA was referenced by O/C's first. Why can't Pichardo use the USA as a bases for comparison? What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

NotLurking
Because Pichardo believes in the DR while O/C doesn't. Being negative about the DR all the time gives people certain advantages among the DR1 crowd. Of course, many here have never asked themselves why Pichardo believes in the DR and O/C doesn't. All economic evidence is that the DR is progressing, most middle-age and older Dominicans are aware of this. Many may question where the DR is going, but almost no one denies that the DR has progressed.

But what could be O/C's reasons for spilling so much fallacious arguments that conveniently exploits peoples assumptions, negative assumptions, with no respectable source or evidence to back them up other than belief and faulty reasoning? Has anyone seriously asked themselves that question?

I don't really know, but sometimes the past has some hints... interesting hints...

Post 1, Post 2, Post 3

With a mentality like that, the DR will always be seen in a negative light. Its the equivalent of pro-Haitians, they always want to negate the DR's advances by claiming nonsense.

Ah well, maybe when the Dominican population goes through a whitening period, O/C will stop spilling so much nonsense.

By the looks of things, I have my doubt that day will ever come...

Onions/Carrots said:
If that makes me a racist, then so be it. HEIL HITLER!!
Priceless, for everything else there's Mastercard. lol

Last edited:

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
All economic evidence is that the DR is progressing, most middle-age and older Dominicans are aware of this. Many may question where the DR is going, but almost no one denies that the DR has progressed.

The DR has progressed in certain sectors....the only thing I know is each time I visited the DR I am blown away with the depths of poverty I often see when travelling around. It is not about positives or negatives....it is what it is....

sometimes I am very sad, other times I am overjoyed.....

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Wait! So you mean to say that the billion dollar biz of second hand clothes in the USA, Spain, Canada, France, Italy, etc... Which is about a bazillion times fold the actual amount of the market in the DR, is the actual economic state of those countries' people??!!?????

Do you happen to understand that in the U.S. of A. alone the used clothing biz is a billion dollar industry, which generates over 12 billion pounds of used clothes each year? That only in registered thrift used clothes stores the number is bigger than any other developed or undeveloped nation save for France and India?

You really need to do your homework, before you go around posting such utter Blah, blah, blah on a public forum...

So, given the numbers is the U.S.A's prosperity and middle class a mirage behind all those Gotham's skyscrapers?

Pleaaaazzzzeeee!

Stick to other topics...

How is this about the DR let alone on topic?

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
The biz is that in the DR the large and small stores IMPORT NEW clothes in packs and boxes and declare them as USED when they are far from it. This is hurting the biz that do their imports legit and pay the corresponding taxes.

The problem is big, since Aduanas can't open each and every box to check for these guys and atop that, they even remove the labels from the clothes and reattach them once they land in the DR door to door.

Can you imagine trying to compete for clients if you must pay import taxes on a pair of jeans than the same dealers import as used clothes and pay nothing but shipping for?

It's a huge problem and the solution is incorrectly to ban all such imports, but to make the shipping companies liable for any found violations with hefty penalties. The problem with that approach is that it can't be legally prosecuted by the DR as wanted. We have trade agreements that deal with this and protect (sadly) these abuses by such shipping companies overseas.

How do you propose the DR deals with this? Make it a legit way that allows for trading agreements to pass muster and also protects the importers that PAY their taxes on aduanas, but deal directly with the violators.

It's very hard to do and the latest reports on the media open the problem to all. As the aduanas indicated, it can't place such ban at all.

What should be banned is Aduanas itself.

These people or this department/branch of the government are THE BIGGEST THIEVES IN THE WHOLE COUNTRY. There is no rhyme or reason to there way of calculating a duty tax which always by the way seems to be half or more of the original purchasing price. If there is a way of calculating the tax I've never seen it. Every time I have ever imported something into this country there is some new law or new tax or new hand to grease that costs you more money. Never have I been shown how they have come up with the duty fees and I have asked MANY MANY times. and the person who could show or tell me is always out to lunch physically and probably mentally too.

If someone has this information please post it here so I can have a copy as well as the rest of us. I don't care if it's 100's/ 1000's of pages I WANT TO SEE IT

Try to spin this all you want but I have witnessed this first hand MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY times while living here

O.S.

Note: The mentally as well comment might be out of line but I HATE ADUANAS :mad::cry::disappoin

Jan 3, 2003
Damn, I need to pay mOre attention.

O&C, you need help.

SHALENA

I was an impetuous little 20 something child. I am ashamed of that past and I ask forgiveness here to all regarding that. Poor Nals can not offer anything else but to attack my character. My posts are too powerful and substantive that he sees it fit to attack my person any chance he gets. I made mistakes here in the past. I acknowledge that. It was wrong and I am sorry for that. Like I said in another post where Nails seeks to impune my person because he feels so bitter so many her agree not with the negativity of my posts but the truth of them. I stated the reasons for that.

I ask forgiveness to you personally Shalena. Can you see to it within your heart of hearts to forgive me for that blatant and disgusting behavior? If you can I'd appreciate that. If you can't I understand that also. In our younger years some of us act out without thinking and in my case I got high off the emotional ride I got while riling up myself and others here. I am a mature early 30 something man who I believe has made a 180 on these boards.

At this point in my life and as taught by any core class at the uni-level (human growth and development), it was stage in my development. I am no longer that brash, rash and impulsive child I was. The point is that time will either change us for the better or for the worse. I feel time has changed me for the better. I remember Robert stating how running these boards is like herding schizophrenic cats. Way before that, I realized that I no longer wanted to be one of those schizo-cats anymore. He just stated it analogically.

My posts are not negative but factual. There are serious problems within the DR and no amount of ad-hominems directed at me will change that. The DR is not advancing as Pick and Nails would lead us to believe. Agora Malls and all are just a cover-up to the true problems facing the DR. The DR has a deeply ingrained prejudice towards the poor to the point that many like Pick and Nails will falsely portray the DR as a thriving economic power which it patently is not.

It behaves much the way I used to behave as an impetuous child who seeks emotional gratification over substantive change. It behaves much the way Pick and Nails behave when their prized toy-the DR- is attacked. They lash back. We three are the product of that Dominican upbringing. It takes a global perspective to change that mentality and a good ole American or European educational system to break that mold. Given that there are virtues within the DR so it isn't an absolute I am stating here.

Pick makes comparisons to the US of A which I don't refute most of the time. It is a fact that used clothing is big business within the US. The problem is that there is NOT a concerted effort by retailers to ban their sales. Such a move would provide evidence that they are in a depressed state. Small business as stated by ONEC president Ramos? will be destroyed if used clothing is allowed to continue. That's the first proof. The second is that the quantity of used clothing that has entered the DR market is also proof that poverty is increasing and not decreasing.

It is a patent lie to state that poverty levels are being reduced. If such were the case used clothing would not have increased ten fold in a mere 6 years. I don't need to hear from some official agency telling me how poverty rates have decreased. They have an agenda much like the US FED and the US govt has an agenda to present pieces of the economic pie which present them favorably and others which do not are placed in the back burner. The US govt redefines economic data when said data presents the US economy dis-favorably.

The point is we do not deny this regarding the US but folks like Pick and Nails do regarding the DR. They want us to believe what you yourself do not believe that the DR is some thriving nation which it isn't. The DR business environment is not a fair playing field. Open up a small business and see what happens. You'll come back and post on your problems. Ask Robert on this board about personal friends not getting paid for METRO work and Pick continuing to insist that isn't so. It's just too much baloney and many of us here like CC, myself and others call them out on that.

This is the real DR. A DR which if not supported externally would cease to exist. Here are three reasons among many which prove the point. Decide for yourself based on the merits of the post. The DR will collapse into the Caribbean Sea if remittances were removed. The decrease in dollars would detonate the exchange rate pushing the peso over the cliff. As it stands the peso is at 2.7 u.s. cents when just 30 years ago it was at par.

The free gasoline that Chavez gives the DR is another way by which the DR escapes the Devil's grip. It is free because when you have a 2 billion bill for not paying because it as accrued over time that's free gas coming your way. They don't have the dollars so they pay in food which said quota they can not even meet. Their debt bubble consumes 50% of the budget. The DR is a ticking time-bomb waiting to explode.

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
The problem with the used cloths here is that most of those cloths come from Haiti where they are sent from donors as humanitarian aids, but instead of the haitian government giving it to its people it sales it to Dominicans. Why in god name is Haiti selling the DR used cloths when they are in desperate needs of this cloths and many other things to help their people. So my point to this is to stop it from coming from Haiti. The ones coming from the USA and Europe should be tax just like the others. It is true that lots of time in those cloths guns are sent from the USA, or don't you guys remember what happen at the Santiago airport about 2 years ago where they found guns inside so call Tanque send from Dominican families living the USA to their relative here.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

NotLurking

That is saying two wrongs, O/Cs post and Pichardo's post, make a right. Neither matter when referring to the US as anything but a potential origin for used clothing. The DR and how it treats imports of used clothing is the subject.

If new clothing is marked as used to escape from duties, then customs should do their jobs and prosecute people importing them. (I could ask, How do other countries do it, but I won't.) Customs will of course opt for the easy way out if they can and say that all new clothes coming in will be taxed at the rate for new clothes which is the easiest solution for their problem and would probably cut down on the fraud.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
That is saying two wrongs, O/Cs post and Pichardo's post, make a right. Neither matter when referring to the US as anything but a potential origin for used clothing. The DR and how it treats imports of used clothing is the subject.

Fair enough and I agree fully with you here. Where we bud heads is when you apply your double standard. O/C made reference to the USA in a comment that was off topic and you didn't call him on it; on the contrary his post was liked. You did however admonished Pichardo instantly and pointed out what the topic of the thread was as if he didn't know. Again, my issue is with the double standard. If you object to Pichardo's post for referencing the USA in an off topic manner you show have done the same with O/C's post.

NotLurking

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Personally I believe Pichardo is comparing apples with oranges, or in this case a nice eyerib steak with rice.

The used clothes market in the US and Europe is huge, but is completely different from the one in the DR.

In the DR it is out of necessity, in the US and Europe it is, mostly, aimed at those people who want a nice dress or suit at cheap prices.

Some examples:
- baby clothes. You know how quickly they outgrow them. Should we then throw them away? Yes, you can give them to friends or charity, and I think the majority of those clothes end there, but maybe some people would want some money back for them.
- brand name dresses... how many women only want to wear the same dress to a party a couple of times. Why not sell them to a used clothes store, get a pittance for it, and let someone a little less fortunate buy it at a cheap price.
- brand name suits... I used to sell my Boss suits to a used clothes store when I outgrew them (damn... those nice restaurants)...
- etc...

Totally different market from the DR... where people buy, need used clothes, because they cannot afford new.

Here, when I do not want some clothes anymore, I give them to the Dream project or other charities.

As I said, totally different environment and market.

As for customs complaining, let them do their job. How come they can check every box of every container of every gringo when it arrives?

BelgianK

Jan 3, 2003
Because Pichardo believes in the DR while O/C doesn't. Being negative about the DR all the time gives people certain advantages among the DR1 crowd. Of course, many here have never asked themselves why Pichardo believes in the DR and O/C doesn't. All economic evidence is that the DR is progressing, most middle-age and older Dominicans are aware of this. Many may question where the DR is going, but almost no one denies that the DR has progressed.

This response goes out to all the readers here at DR1. This is not a personal response to Nails because I have no interest in anything personal with him. I am only responding to his post in reference to the readers here since lately he has seen it fit to take this to the personal level. This is something of which I will never reciprocate with him nor anyone else here. I have become impersonal unlike my early days here at DR1 which Nails suffers no time to post over and over again. I can only be flattered by such attention.

I am actually pro-DR. I and my family still have land in the DR. I personally still dabble in real estate within the DR and to a limited extent deal in agriculture hence my moniker onions and carrots, LOL. I am presenting the reality of the DR and am not whitewashing what is an inevitable collapse facing the DR and the world. The DR is not on a sustainable track. Blowing debt bubbles to fund present growth is a Ponzi scheme which will only end in catastrophe.

When I sell property or purchase property as I recently did in Constanza I do not imagine some fantasy of an island as if it were Europe. I tell the buyers the reality of what they are facing. Given that I temper it with the positives which I see developing within the DR as well. But I never imagine some silly fantastical imaginations as if reclassifying the DR poor as middle is going to do me some good. Buyers appreciate that candor. The facts are clear. The DR given its historical past will fall apart and hasn't already because of enormous external pressures holding it together. The same goes for the world.

Proof of my pro-DR stance is what I recently did. The property and land I recently purchased in the Constanza region was all done over the phone. I have not seen the property at all until recently. Payments were wired. So I doubt you'll find anyone more positive than myself. Would you do that? I don't recommend it. I know the sellers. My family knows their family. This is what distinguishes business in the DR when done the old fashioned way. Con artists and swindlers are a dime a dozen within the DR so why should I occult the truth?

I've done over the phone deals several times. I have supervised construction work the same way from abroad. From my phones here in Florida I have supervised construction work in the DR. Should you do this? I would never recommend that either. I deal with people who are already known through family contacts, are family and have done work for us in the past. I recently purchased "solares" which I never saw and by recent I mean about two years ago.

I built homes which up until the completed work stood never saw even one worker nor nail driven into the wood. I just saw it the other month. Everything done as accomplished. Cost overrun? Probably! Someone somewhere dipping their hand into the cookie jar? Absolutely! It happens but as long as one accounts for it and it remains within certain limits then it is acceptable. Yes, you will be robbed. And to appease Senor Pick, yes this happens in the US too. So what's the point? There is no point.

The same goes for agriculture. I know the middle men in the DR, not all of them obviously. I run the same business from here in nice little sunny Miami. I'll call them up in Constanza or Mao (Nails loves to degrade us campesinos as simpletons ) and initiate conversations on the general state of the agricultural economy within the DR. The conversation then turns to the regional impact (Constanza, Ocoa and Mao) of those same general conditions. We speak on specific farmers and their families and the chisme of the day, LOL. We speak on change over time relating to all of these factors.

We speak on machinery, manpower, wages, productivity, hotel purchases of agro-goods and what's selling and what's not, all inclusives and their non-payments, delays. We speak on deforestation in the Cordillera Central and its impact on farming. We speak on climatological changes, rising temperatures, the quantity of timber that is diminishing, water supplies, hydraulics, dams, aqueducts, industrial pumps, water diversion, encroachments, collapsing prices due to too many farming the same, tractors, chains, and hailstorms (yes there are hailstorms which destroy your crops especially onions).

We laugh on this typical Dominican behavior of paying when you feel like it that lately has affected the "Norteamericanos", LOL!!! Please my anglo-saxon friends do not become infected with this illness. Given that, there are many Dominicans in established agro-businesses who are unable to make payments on a timely basis. That's a serious problem within the DR corroborated by RUBIO HIGUEY within a sector that I do not operate in. There are so many lines of evidence pointing to financial ruin and collapse which are independent of one another that to deny it is sheer folly.

The conversation then turns to pricing which in my little Excel spreadsheet I track the change in agro-goods over time and analyze changes Y/O/Y, quarterly and such to determine trends etc. We speak on credit, Banco Agricola, govt policy, modes of transport, credit conditions, interest rates, terms, etc. We speak on delayed payments which is becoming a concern and how arrears are growing to levels never seen before especially by the foreign owned all-inclusives. We continue speaking on prices and numbers something which I love. At that point I seek divergences which I hope to exploit and produce a profit.

Given this, neither am I trying to sell myself to anyone here to use me for anything. I don't sell services of any type regarding the DR. I warn you though because I don't want you to fall in the hands of these swindlers promising "solares", property and titles which only exist in their wild imaginations. The DR is a 3rd world country with many built in inefficiencies which I hope will change but believe will only occur after an economic collapse hits it. THE END-LOL!!!

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
The used clothes market in the US and Europe is huge, but is completely different from the one in the DR.

In the DR it is out of necessity, in the US and Europe it is, mostly, aimed at those people who want a nice dress or suit at cheap prices.

In these times, thrift stores are making a killing. Even people with dispensable income are shopping in second hand stores.