Employment in Punta Cana?

ImeanIguess

May 9, 2012
I'm sure this is a dumb question. But are there any type of jobs out there for someone that is Bilingual? (English and Spanish) tourist area...Please no mean or sarcastic remarks.. Thanks :classic:

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I'm sure this is a dumb question. But are there any type of jobs out there for someone that is Bilingual? (English and Spanish) tourist area...Please no mean or sarcastic remarks.. Thanks :classic:

Are you male or female?

ImeanIguess

May 9, 2012
Depends entirely on your other skills, talents and experience!

I work for a law firm as a paralegal. But my experiences basically and generally is... Event planning, Customer Service, and Sales from past jobs. I'm not looking into "making a good living" because I know that's impossible in the DR. But something decent & I do have a place to live as well..just some sort of income would be nice.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Just as important is what contacts, if any, do you have on the ground. This would enable you to sound out local companies (hotels, conference centres, etc.) and find out if they need anyone with your skills.

ImeanIguess

May 9, 2012
Just as important is what contacts, if any, do you have on the ground. This would enable you to sound out local companies (hotels, conference centres, etc.) and find out if they need anyone with your skills.

Yes, I was considering looking into the hotels. But it's hard browsing the internet because they don't have a career nor employment section. I think I would have to go physically and ask when I go visit again? Thank you..

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I can tell you that good reliable help can be hard to find. Friends who are in Real Estate had some difficulties finding good help, but finally have a great assistant in their office. I assume it could be the same for other businesses that have to deal with an international clientele.

There are occasional job listings here on dr1... but I don't ever remember seeing one for P.C. I don't know if big businesses will hire you without a cedula... I think maybe not... but there's a number of new retail places that have or will open soon. Being bilingual would be a big advantage.

ImeanIguess

May 9, 2012
I can tell you that good reliable help can be hard to find. Friends who are in Real Estate had some difficulties finding good help, but finally have a great assistant in their office. I assume it could be the same for other businesses that have to deal with an international clientele.

There are occasional job listings here on dr1... but I don't ever remember seeing one for P.C. I don't know if big businesses will hire you without a cedula... I think maybe not... but there's a number of new retail places that have or will open soon. Being bilingual would be a big advantage.

I've been seeing that about retail places are opening there..My plan is to stay probably for about 6 months up to a year..Do I really need to become a resident? or can i work without a cedula? Because i always see different information., That I don't know what to believe anymore :confused:
Thank you for your help..

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
well, if you've been reading the recent threads about residency, visa, etc. etc.; you'll see the whole topic is up in the air right now. Technically there is a new law in place governing these things, but it is not being consistently enforced... in fact it seems many govt. workers are not even aware of it. If you're only going to stay 6 months to a year, I don't think you could get residency anyway. You'll need to work for someone "under the radar", which I think is not actually legal, but I'm sure it goes on quite a bit. The bigger problem you might face is the fact that a prospective employer might not want a temporary employee. It will take a little luck to find a good position. Definitely any networking your friends and relatives can do for you would be a big help.

ImeanIguess

May 9, 2012
well, if you've been reading the recent threads about residency, visa, etc. etc.; you'll see the whole topic is up in the air right now. Technically there is a new law in place governing these things, but it is not being consistently enforced... in fact it seems many govt. workers are not even aware of it. If you're only going to stay 6 months to a year, I don't think you could get residency anyway. You'll need to work for someone "under the radar", which I think is not actually legal, but I'm sure it goes on quite a bit. The bigger problem you might face is the fact that a prospective employer might not want a temporary employee. It will take a little luck to find a good position. Definitely any networking your friends and relatives can do for you would be a big help.

I actually want to stay longer, and would like to live there.. But I know, I can't pack my things and move :ermm: But thank you for your help:squareeye