Scooter needed in Bavaro

George99

Jun 1, 2012
First time scooter purchase in Bavaro. Never do this.

11am: Taken by my real estate friend to his 'scooter guy' in the Hole (Haitian part of Bavaro) to purchase a simple used scooter. Told the price is $8000 pesos and they need one hour to get it ready. Friend leaves me there. I go next door for a cold beer and wait.

12pm: Told it will it will be a couple more hours. New friend Maria and I have been chatting and she invites me back to her apartment (which is a stone's throw away) to use the restroom as there are no restrooms where we are waiting. We hang out there for a while and head back to pick up the scooter.

2pm: Back at the 'scooter guy' and told it will be at least three more hours. Maria wants to go to the beach so we take motoconcho back to Cortecito to pick up towels at my place and enjoy the beach for a couple of hours. Fun and head back at 5:30pm.

6pm: Back at 'scooter guy' and told to come back tomorrow as bike is not ready yet. Decline invite to stay at Maria's and motoconcho home to Cortecito.

NEXT DAY

10am: Scooter finally ready; final bill $8000 plus $2000 parts plus $500 oil and gasoline plus $500 mechanic. $11,000 pesos total.

10:30am: Made it to just past the Catholic Church (almost home) when smoke starts billowing from the engine and scooter dies. No gasoline. Oil is also spewing out of the engine. Nearby motoconcho assists by taking me to nearby store that fills jumbo Presidente bottle with gasoline (70 pesos) We return to scooter and he restarts it; 200 pesos for his help.

11am. Sounding like a 1970's gas lawnmower I finally get it back to my place.

Since then it has started a couple of times and more often that it doesn't. Not sure what to do with it; perhaps donate it for parts.

Needless to say I am looking to purchase a scooter if any has one for sale or knows of a reliable source.

Thanks,

George

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Throw it away, don't sell it because the buyer will hunt you down afterwards for selling a piece of ****!

Go to Bavaro Motors in Plaza Tobacco and talk to the owner Dirk!
Buy a brand new, quality scooter with guarantee and you are done!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
You did absolutely everything possible that you could have done to make sure you bought a lump of useless turd, you deserve everything you got. Some things can be put down to foreigner nativity, but mate, I'm surprised you made it out your own country at this kind of rate.

To salvage anything, tell your guy to go and resolve the situation, as if it will do anything, which it wont. He probably creamed the extra 3 mil off the top, unlikely but wouldn't uprise me.

Not a tall lanky eastern European gob****e by any chance?

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
First time scooter purchase in Bavaro. Never do this.

11am: Taken by my real estate friend to his 'scooter guy' in the Hole (Haitian part of Bavaro) to purchase a simple used scooter. Told the price is $8000 pesos and they need one hour to get it ready. Friend leaves me there. I go next door for a cold beer and wait.

12pm: Told it will it will be a couple more hours. New friend Maria and I have been chatting and she invites me back to her apartment (which is a stone's throw away) to use the restroom as there are no restrooms where we are waiting. We hang out there for a while and head back to pick up the scooter.

2pm: Back at the 'scooter guy' and told it will be at least three more hours. Maria wants to go to the beach so we take motoconcho back to Cortecito to pick up towels at my place and enjoy the beach for a couple of hours. Fun and head back at 5:30pm.

6pm: Back at 'scooter guy' and told to come back tomorrow as bike is not ready yet. Decline invite to stay at Maria's and motoconcho home to Cortecito.

NEXT DAY

10am: Scooter finally ready; final bill $8000 plus $2000 parts plus $500 oil and gasoline plus $500 mechanic. $11,000 pesos total.

10:30am: Made it to just past the Catholic Church (almost home) when smoke starts billowing from the engine and scooter dies. No gasoline. Oil is also spewing out of the engine. Nearby motoconcho assists by taking me to nearby store that fills jumbo Presidente bottle with gasoline (70 pesos) We return to scooter and he restarts it; 200 pesos for his help.

11am. Sounding like a 1970's gas lawnmower I finally get it back to my place.

Since then it has started a couple of times and more often that it doesn't. Not sure what to do with it; perhaps donate it for parts.

Needless to say I am looking to purchase a scooter if any has one for sale or knows of a reliable source.

Thanks,

George

I hope at least you have Maria's cel-phone number for some more "fun under the sun"?
Or did you buy her a cel-phone?

George99

Jun 1, 2012
Ok I totally made a bad scooter purchase. My question is where can I get a decent one here in Bavaro.

For the record, Maria is still here; happy ,comfortable, and sleeping soundly.

George

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
Ok I totally made a bad scooter purchase. My question is where can I get a decent one here in Bavaro.

George

My friend went out with her a few times.
The itch goes away with antibiotic creams, so he says.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic

George

I told you George; talk to Dirk of Bavaro Motors or call him (809-299-1790) you can have your scooter tomorrow-morning!

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I told you George; talk to Dirk of Bavaro Motors or call him (809-299-1790) you can have your scooter tomorrow-morning!

I've been toying with the idea of buying a scoot sometime in the near future. Nice to hear a recommendation in the area. Do you know if he sells new ones? Are they Chinese or "Brand" names?