Complicated inheritance

The Bagmann

Aug 11, 2012
I am a US citizen who inherited 4.05 tares of land that was suppose to be my Dad's inheritance after the death of my grandmother. However, my Dad predeceased her and therefore myself and 5 other siblings(of the remaing 5 siblings 2 are from my biological Mom and the remaining 3 belong to 2 different women)are now the new heirs.

My Dad prior to inheriting this land was allowed by his mother to build a house on it which he lived with his second wife and children. The house nor the land in which it was built on were never registered;because this was suppose to take place after my Grandmother's death once he legally entitled to it.

Since my Dad predecesed his mother in 2006 and she passed away, I believe in August of 2011, I would like to legally claim: mine and my 2 siblings interests in this property which is now being run down to the ground by my father's second wife and her family. Anyone with experience in this matter that can offer me any practical solution(s) would be greatly appreciated.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
From what I just read,the first thing your grandmother has to do is register the land
otherwise if your grandmother dies,your father's wife can claim that it's hers because
it hasn't been registered and she has been living there.

Unfortunately,as I understand it you or your siblings can not inherit until your grandmother dies.
However she can give you a portion of the land while she's alive.

But let's see what Guzman has to say.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
From what I just read,the first thing your grandmother has to do is register the land
otherwise if your grandmother dies,your father's wife can claim that it's hers because

Unfortunately,as I understand it you or your siblings can not inherit until your grandmother dies.

He is saying his grandmother passed away in 2011.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Oops! I overlooked where he stated his grandmother passed away.

The best thing to do is get down here and get yourself a good lawyer.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Forget It.

The best thing to do is get down here and get yourself a good lawyer.

Unless the little piece land is in a prime location and the house worth a lot, coming here and paying a lawyer may not be worth it.
Mind you, even in the best scenario outcome you'd only get a slice of it anyhow.

donP

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
YOU must decide how much grief you are interested in because this scenario will cost you financially and a Lot of emotional, etc dealing with A Dominican wife likely ,,,,,!!!!!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If I did the math correctly you could end up at best with 4.05/6 = 0.75 tareas or 471 square meters of land along side people you have to fight to get that land. Worth it? You have to make that call.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

If this statement is correct, the OP is SOL.

Death has arrived and no registration was made.... is the way I read it.
Too late - too bad.

Pedro Reyes

Aug 12, 2012
That's exactly what I was told by an attorney here in the States that practices in the DR. But I figured that I get a second opinion through the forum. Thanxs

Pedro Reyes

Aug 12, 2012
I forgot to indicate that the land was registered to my Grandma. But my Father was only allowed to build on his share of land and couldn't register the land nor the house until he inherited his share of land.

The Bagmann

Aug 11, 2012
That's exactly what I was thinking!! And that's not taking into account when you factor in the taxes that are going to be assesed on the land and the house.