Eating In Sousa

May 17, 2011
I was wondering if you budget yourself right what would be the average you can spend per day to feed youself? I am talking about breakfast lunch and dinner. I know rocky's is resonable priced but not sure if you need to head down to the beach to find other places. I might be planning a trip and on a tight budget this time. I'd like to know what it would cost to eat.

Thanks

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
I was wondering if you budget yourself right what would be the average you can spend per day to feed youself? I am talking about breakfast lunch and dinner. I know rocky's is resonable priced but not sure if you need to head down to the beach to find other places. I might be planning a trip and on a tight budget this time. I'd like to know what it would cost to eat.

Thanks

You can probably 'get by' on 800 pesos's a day (drinks not included). Why not save a little more over the next few months then you won't have to worry about a 'tight budget'.
Sosua for many vacationers is a great place, but it ain'talways cheap. You'll benefit much better by coming with extra cash.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Eat Dominican and you will have no trouble. You can get a good Dominican meal with chicken or beef for $125 at La Roca. Pick your spots for their specials and you could get by for RD$500 a day if your budget is really tight.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you can have a meal for about 100 pesos a pop (300 a day): sandwich and juice for breakfast, plato del dia for lunch and a burger/hotdog for dinner.
this is on a lower scale. i would say a budget of 1000 pesos a day is a lot more reasonable and allows few bottles of beer too.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
you can have a meal for about 100 pesos a pop (300 a day): sandwich and juice for breakfast, plato del dia for lunch and a burger/hotdog for dinner.
this is on a lower scale. i would say a budget of 1000 pesos a day is a lot more reasonable and allows few bottles of beer too.

Anyone that needs to eat Dominican meals at 100 pesos a pop on vacation needs to stay where they are.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
:) some love to travel and do so on a budget. i would gladly live tight and eat for 10 dollars a day if i could only visit some countries. admittedly, this does not include DR and sosua :)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You can get an American breakfast for no more than RD$125, including taxes. That is the posted price at Morua Mai. RD$125 for lunch. That is 2 filling meals for about RD$250. You decide how much you can afford dinner and whether you can afford drinks.

PJ's has 2 for 1 dinner on Wednesday and Friday if you want to entertain.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007

Thanks

If you are only coming to Sosua for cheap food why travel at all.

Sosua is not on the top destination list for cusine....that's for sure !

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
on the main road there is pico pollo and the other domincan place on the right. i always eat dominican when i come to sosua because the food is good not just cheap. during the day you can find fruit and vegtables all along the beach to keep you happy.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
If you want to eat like a tourist:
- Breakfast at Rockys. The #38 (Bacon, Egggs, toast, homefries) plus coffee is around 200 pesos.
-Lunch on the beach at Siempre Sol. Cheesburger, fries, and a drink (coke or beer) is around 250 pesos.
-Dinner buffet at Hotel Colibri (395) plus two beverages (beer or cuba libres) is around 600 pesos.
So 200 + 250 + 600 = 1050 pesos. Add in about 200 pesos for tips (don't be tacano!) and your total is 1250 pesos per day. Thats about $30 US.

Enjoy your trip.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Really bad advice, Yapaski/Yannadu/Pi2. Not the best way to return from being banned from the site.

The OP is going to Sosua as a tourist. Do you really think he will readily find enough food to satisfy himself on six dollars a day? As with all touristy areas, everything costs more. Besides, he may not want to spend his precious vacation time foraging for fallen mango nuts.

OP, lots of good advice otherwise. I'd budget $30 a day, which will get you three squares in a large variety of nice locations that wont make your stomach explode afterwards. If you only eat twice a day and/or grab snacks at the supermarkets, you'll save some pesos, but keep in mind - you're on vacation.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
I am 240lbs. Eat twice a day when in Sosua with some snacks late at night. Big breakfast at New Garden about 10am RD170. Dinner at Romanoff about 5pm between RD220 to 330. Usually bring half back to hotel for late snack. About 15 bucks with tip.

Or rent a condo and go shopping. 3 egg cheese omellete, toast, juice coffee, fruit averages me 100 pesos a day for a breakfast cooked the way i like it. Playero has everything you need. Lunch meat to cooked chicken. If you meet a chica bring her to shop for food only and then back to condo for your romantic evening. Get creative and do your homework.