school - late registration

zizzer

Aug 13, 2012
decided this month to move to DR with 6 year old son in early september. Is it possible to find a private school with vacancies at this point and willing to accept late registrant? Anywhere on island and teaches fully in spanish or at least bilingual. Any other options for schooling if not?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Depends on where you are going to live. I am sure that one of Pichardo's new schools will that the young fellow. (And so will many of the smaller colegios)

HB

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Late registratons are not uncommon. Make sure you have all the applicaple paperwork like birth certificate, transcripts from the prevous school.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
decided this month to move to DR with 6 year old son in early september. Is it possible to find a private school with vacancies at this point and willing to accept late registrant? Anywhere on island and teaches fully in spanish or at least bilingual. Any other options for schooling if not?

Most of the private schools have websites you can check. Where are you moving to? If we know that, somebody will be able to make suggestions.

zizzer

Aug 13, 2012
unfortunately haven't decided where to live just yet. I'll be going down the first week in september to do some scouting and check out some schools. I'm from the heart of nyc so am trying to avoid the urban chaos. I really like santiago but don't look forward to taking the metro every time I want to go to the beach.

Would really love to find an area with outdoor space (not the street) where I can just tell son to go outside and play with neighbors. Unfortunately the closest I have found to this are the beaches on the north coast not necessarily any communities in particular. Strange that there seems to be more fresh air and green space here in NYC.

Flew into santo domingo once but never stayed so seems like that may be the tie breaker. On reading some of the posts here seems like more people prefer santo domingo for schooling and living.

Is it even possible to find any schools in santo domingo for under 5000 pesos a month, that teach entirely in spanish?
and thanks for the reminder of the paperwork, based on website info some of the application requirements are fairly elaborate.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
unfortunately haven't decided where to live just yet. I'll be going down the first week in september to do some scouting and check out some schools. I'm from the heart of nyc so am trying to avoid the urban chaos. I really like santiago but don't look forward to taking the metro every time I want to go to the beach.

Would really love to find an area with outdoor space (not the street) where I can just tell son to go outside and play with neighbors. Unfortunately the closest I have found to this are the beaches on the north coast not necessarily any communities in particular. Strange that there seems to be more fresh air and green space here in NYC.

Flew into santo domingo once but never stayed so seems like that may be the tie breaker. On reading some of the posts here seems like more people prefer santo domingo for schooling and living.

Is it even possible to find any schools in santo domingo for under 5000 pesos a month, that teach entirely in spanish?
and thanks for the reminder of the paperwork, based on website info some of the application requirements are fairly elaborate.

90% of the country is fresh air and green space :) I think what you are looking for is something like a gated community where there isn't traffic and stuff. I wouldn't recommend sending a 6 year old outside to play anywhere in the world though by himself.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

As long as you don't want bi-lingual there are choices in Santo Domingo. All of my nieces and nephews went to private Catholic schools in the capital, got great educations, finished college, etc. If you decide on the capital I can find out which school they attended. I'm sure it was less than 5000 pesos a month.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

You'll have no much problem to find a private school willing to accommodate your kid in short notice.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
since this year there is a change in the registration requirements for foreign pupils, it seams that there is a paper work to be done at the Ministerio de Educacion in SD.... What exactly i don't know, ... The employees at the Ministerio are very nice and helpful

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
I would recommend Santiago, living in Santo Domingo will still make you take the buss to go to the beach. IMHO Santiago is better then SD, i didnt like SD at all! A lot of trash everywhere, slams, traffic and heat.
I am living in Cabarete now and my kid just went to 3rd grade, but i changed school from Nueva Vida to collegio Cadin. In Nueva Vida it seems like she didnt learn NOTHING for 3 years she was going there since pre-school! I will see how it will go in Cadin and next year we are moving to Santiago.