Faux Painting - Using Sand as an Additive

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Hello Everyone,

I have plain white concrete walls throughout my condo and want to jazz them up a little without spending a lot of money. So I tried adding clean white sand to some white acrylic paint and put it up on one of my columns. It creates a texture sort of like little bitty raindrops running down the wall. It's hard to get the application even but I think it adds to the appeal. Any comments on why this would be a bad idea? Maybe the sand will flick off eventually and I'll be cleaning all the time? Maybe it was OK with a brush in a small area but wouldn't work with a roller? I haven't tried it with a color so I wonder how that will work.... I'm also thinking of using a little bit of limestone (or the like) on one of my main walls. Any tips on that? I installed a slate floor in the U.S. so I think I can do it myself. Ideas?

Thanks!

Judy

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
they used to sell paint with sand in it for texture. It was popular back in the 80's and I used it once. I think it will be alright. keep stirring frequently as you paint, to keep the sand suspended in the paint and keep your application more even.