Confusion over residency application

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
I understand we have to apply for our residency in the UK before entering the DR, this residency visa cost is ?250. But on the website it states we must apply for residency in person in DR while on tourist visa, see link:Dominican Republic Embassy United Kingdom

Can anyone clarify this for me please?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
They say to look on the website for any info required.

LOL typical Dominicans! Well it seems pretty clear that you do have to apply in the UK first, and that is backed up by the law here. Why not send a private message to Pansy as she went through it and has laid it out all clearly as to what she had to do.

Matilda

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
This is what the law says, so that you can tell the embassy in London:

Del Procedimiento y documentaci?n requerida para ser admitido como Residente
Temporal.
ART?CULO 48.- El Extranjero peticionario, interpondr? ante la D.G.M. su solicitud de
residencia temporal, acompa?ado de los siguientes documentos:
a) Constancia de la Visa de Residencia (RS) con la cual ingres? al pa?s, otorgada por el
Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores.

In order to apply for temporary residency the foreigner need this, along with the following documents.
The 'this' is the first thing you need for temporary residency. A stamp in your passport which is evidence of applying for residency which you need when you enter the country. The stamp will have been issued by the Ministry for Foreign Relations.

Hope that helps

Matilda

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
There is also finding a guarantor it is impossible, how would I overcome this? Also proof of employment, well I can't prove that until I am in the job, and I am far from wealthy. If I showed them statements over recent months of healthy finances going in and out of my account would this be enough?
I contacted a good lawyer one recommended on this site, and they didn't actually mention the application beginning in the UK, not until I mentioned it so I wonder if they have a way around this?
I plan to marry within the month and also have a child with a Dominican lady and so maybe this would work in my favor? Once I have the residency visa things can fall into place easier, as I will have started work and be married, just getting to that stage seems the crux at the moment.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
There is also finding a guarantor it is impossible, how would I overcome this?

I am not a lawyer, but from what I remember from other residency applications, the guarantor letter just has to say that the guarantor agrees to provide for you in the DR, if you can't, and to pay for your deportation. Contact Pansy to see what she said. I don't know if the guarantor has to provide bank statements.

Also proof of employment, well I can't prove that until I am in the job, and I am far from wealthy. If I showed them statements over recent months of healthy finances going in and out of my account would this be enough?

I would have thought so.
I contacted a good lawyer one recommended on this site, and they didn't actually mention the application beginning in the UK, not until I mentioned it so I wonder if they have a way around this?

This is a recent change. I think there are ways around it for those who are already living here and are established here, but others will know better about this than I do.

I plan to marry within the month and also have a child with a Dominican lady and so maybe this would work in my favor?

I don't think that would make any difference.

Once I have the residency visa things can fall into place easier, as I will have started work and be married, just getting to that stage seems the crux at the moment.

Maybe others can chime in with their thoughts?

Matilda

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
The guarantor has to have a cedula, and be able to prove a steady income...

You have to show you have a steady income from whatever of around 1,500$ per month... by a letter from your bank.

You cannot really prove you have a job here, as you do not have residency, so cannot have a workpermit...

Yes, there is a way around it, but who knows when that loophole will be closed...

BelgianK

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
as for guarantor... your lawyer in the D.R. will customarily act in that capacity... for a fee of course. It was similar to when I looked into buying real estate as a corporation rather than a individual. The lawyer would have provided the necessary "board members" as needed.

BUT the whole flippin' thing is up in the air right now. I'd just chill out a little and wait for the dust to settle before I got too upset about the whole thing. What you should do is get the appropriate visa before leaving the U.K. (as outlined in the new law and by Sr. Guzman in the thread), hire a GOOD lawyer (i.e. reputable) once here to start the process, and wait and see what happens over time. Things go slowly... remember the clock AND the calendar run on "island time" in the D.R.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
as for guarantor... your lawyer in the D.R. will customarily act in that capacity... for a fee of course. It was similar to when I looked into buying real estate as a corporation rather than a individual. The lawyer would have provided the necessary "board members" as needed.

BUT the whole flippin' thing is up in the air right now. I'd just chill out a little and wait for the dust to settle before I got too upset about the whole thing. What you should do is get the appropriate visa before leaving the U.K. (as outlined in the new law and by Sr. Guzman in the thread), hire a GOOD lawyer (i.e. reputable) once here to start the process, and wait and see what happens over time. Things go slowly... remember the clock AND the calendar run on "island time" in the D.R.

This is the problem, I need the guarantor, but won't see them until I am there after I have got then residency visa which I won't have until I come up with a guarantor. It is an impossible situation, isn't it?
I am using A Guzman for the actual process, very expensive but I understand they are the best, I just don't understand the system, it seems a bit backwards, or at least slightly sidewards, which ever it is very difficult to understand. All the websites between lawyers, embassy and so on say completely different things.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I would suggest if you are using a lawyer then they are the best people to advise you.

Matilda

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
Thankfully he has seen my post and pm'd me. I was becoming confused by all the contradicting information. With respect it is quite a difficult place to lay down complete confidence, this is why I decided to use the Guzman lawyers as they have a good reputation. Just recently seeing the site wasn't stating what I was hearing I got a little worried, and needed some outside input from yourselves, but it turns out the site has just now been updated, or I was looking at old information. Which ever it is I will be in discussion in the morning to clear these things up and get things moving along a bit quicker.
thankyou for the input Matilda, and others.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I never needed a lawyer to get me temporal or permanent residence, and even though I entered the country before the change I did apply for a residencial visa first and once arrived here did the temporal residence process and this year the permanent residence process, it's actually not that complicated, just plan ahead and make sure you have the correct documentation from your home country properly legalized when you come here.

(ps. I have an issue with the excessive use of lawyers supposedly needed in this country. Where not obligated by law, I prefer to do what's necessary myself, oh and lawyers will always tell you you DO need them)