2008 Land Rover LR3 - the Good, bad, or ugly?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Gee, not sure, only the Brits tout their reliability.
Costly to repair........ now owned by Tata ( Indian car maker ) Tata Motors : Home

I chickened out in the US and went Jeep -

Can you find any good review sites.?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Assuming it's for use here in the DR I would see if there was a dealer close by first of all. Also, like all "luxury items" you will be expected to pay through the nose for parts and repair. I personally would choose something more common. Also, I would make sure it had a real chassis as opposed to a unibody if I planned to go to the campo a lot.

If I had the money I would opt for a Toyota SR5 or a Nissan Patrol. You could do the Dakar in these things and there are plenty around.

Another thing is the Land Rover calls a lot of attention because only the rich have them here. I would prefer to be more subtle.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
What about that chunky Toyota, Bob -- the one w/ 2 1/2 doors ? Looks like kind of a flatter/lower roof line
Its tough enough and is serviceable

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
For the money your going to pay for that I would say go with a Toyota Land Cruiser Prado, its reliable and if later on you want to sell it to upgrade people wont hesitate to take it off your hands. I don't know about current LR models, but I personally know of 3 friends that have owned a LR and they have all suffered the same fate - faulty electrical issues. One friend rolled it off the lot brand new here in the US and had to exchange it within a month because of issues, that was a 2009 model. The two other friends had 2003 and 2002 models.

Also, LR dont offer much room in the interior; yeah they look bad-ass, but still, in DR you have to think of a car purchase as an investment. Ask around, and you will see that most people will say the same.

May 12, 2005
For the money your going to pay for that I would say go with a Toyota Land Cruiser Prado, its reliable and if later on you want to sell it to upgrade people wont hesitate to take it off your hands. I don't know about current LR models, but I personally know of 3 friends that have owned a LR and they have all suffered the same fate - faulty electrical issues. One friend rolled it off the lot brand new here in the US and had to exchange it within a month because of issues, that was a 2009 model. The two other friends had 2003 and 2002 models.

Also, LR dont offer much room in the interior; yeah they look bad-ass, but still, in DR you have to think of a car purchase as an investment. Ask around, and you will see that most people will say the same.

I concur on the Toyota Prado. Get the diesel.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Owned one landrover in my life, and it will be the last one...

I owned it for 12 months, and it spend 10 of those at the dealer...

They may be able to organize Olympics, but making cars is beyond them...

BelgianK

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Who buys a 5 yr old Land Rover? BMW, Mercedes, Audi, VW, Jaguar are all cars that are LEASED 99% of the time. Once the warranty on these cars are up, you are rolling the dice. Unless you have a "bumper to bumper" they are NOT worth owning.

What does that Land Rover do, that a Honda Pilot can't do?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

I concur.... My friend's Range Rover (the big shot car) is in the garage/dealer RIGHT NOW.
It won't shift gears.

The dealer is stumped and is suggesting something about the oil pump.

2006 Range Rover w/ 25.000 miles -- like nothing.

They SUGGESTED the oil pump thing and said they hoped it would work... nothing definitive.
They have no clue as to the root of the problem AND they won't share their ignorance w/ an independent mechanic.
You MUST go to the dealer.

Sorry Bob - I like the look of the car but ...............

Prince Charles on the other hand has no problems..

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Funny you should ask. I have that same make and model.
The good
beautiful ride. Very fast handles like a sports car. Good visibility actually a very capable off road vehicle, if you know how to use it. Very torquey will go on the beach if thats your thing.
Is a chick magnet. Women love it from the yuppies to the ghetto rats.

The Bad
VERY EXPENSIVE to maintain. NO Aftermarket parts. All parts are shipped from the UK
Electronics are very tricky with LR3. I have been lucky with the electronics
Sunroofs are weak and will break big flaw in the rollers. I had mine changed twice.
Tires do not last. In the US for the economy replacement is about a grand if you drive with bald tires your alignment will be out in a minute
Tune up is 1400 bucks If you are seriously considering it make sure you have a capable LR mechanic.
DRINKS GAS LIKE A THIRSTY SAILOR. Average 12 mpg city 15 hwy
Brakes do not last.

Land Rover Defender is a great truck. I would buy one of those in a minute.
The Land Cruiser is a much better vehicle for the money.

I got stuck with mine in a divorce and couldnt sell it for sixty percent of the book value. there are much better vehicles for that amount of money

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I love that car too, the only thing I dislike is it doesn't have the 3rd row seating, or does it? I wonder how much it would cost to get someone to install it.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure it can be a retrofit. You'd need a hole in the floor for a footwell.

Better to be the Beverley Hillbillies and strap chairs onto the roof:alien:

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I had a diesel LR3 or Discovery as we call it in England before I left there. I travelled many thousands of miles all over Europe towing a heavy trailer without problems. However, these are complex vehicles and if you have any problems it will cost you an arm and a leg to fix them - that's if you can find the parts here. If you can't, it will probably cost a fortune and take an age to import them.