Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default OK great Feedback on Buying a Car, thanks. What about storing a car for long periods.

Well, I'm seriously considering buying a Car in the DR, Im tired of renting for a month at a time, not to mention the costs. I'm down 3 times a year for one month intervals, and this will continue for the next several years until I can spend more time in the DR.. Question is how do you "prep" a car if you are going to leave it in a non sheltered parking space for 4 months at a time. Yes I can buy a tarp, and cover it, but what else needs to be done, disconnect the battery, drain the oil, or fill the oil? I don't have a garage.. Does anyone else just leave a vehicle sitting around for months on end? I'm not worried about security... thanks

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I am sure that many of the DR1ers living in country would be willing to watch your car while you are away and even rotate the tires regularly free of charge.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

We leave our car in a carport for a few months at a time. This past year it was parked for almost 8 months.
    My husband only disconnects the batteries (it has 2 ) and a friend starts it every couple of months.
    Haven't had a problem yet.

Ccarabella

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely cover it in the heat.
    Gas tank should be filled to avoid condensation.

if choosing to start it, be sure it heats up fully - let it run for 20-30 minutes. Actually driving it better for lubrication, tire flat spots, etc.

Mine sits for 2-3 months and I do nothing for it. Has always started up when we arrive.

I hope the parking spot is safe - no vandals

Post Thanks / Like

I think I would bring down some gasoline or diesel stabilizer, disconnect the batteries or battery and cover it with a tarp. Find a good spot that is safe above all.

HB
    Moderator DR1.com

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

our neighbours are canadians and spend 6 months in DR and 6 months back home. their car is parked on a driveway, in front of their house. i think safety is of the most importance here. maybe you could leave your car with friends, on their property?
    i cannot speak about what other things need to be done to start the car after a long time without using it. my father tells me it is best to lift the car on cement blocks or such, so it does not stand on tires. but i am sure it will be no problem to have someone check the car and prep it after you arrive. number one concern is to make sure the car is still here when you come back

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Lifting the car is a common misconception... look at car museums, they are all 4 wheels on the ground.

It can harm the suspension by taking the weight off it. They're built to bear weight.

There are tire cradles if you want avoid flat spots. This is more problematic in cold weather than hot.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

If it was in US or Canada I would recommend tackle charge it but here I would listen to HB on this.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

If you cover it with a tarp, make sure it is dry first. Things rust fast enough here, but keeping moisture in will only make it worse!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Koreano View Post
    If it was in US or Canada I would recommend tackle charge it but here I would listen to HB on this.
    The trickle charger will work - good idea.

For good storage tips go to Maserati Life or the Ferrari Forum.
    Those cars gets stored for extended periods all the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast