Could I run for president?

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Hypothetically speaking of course ;) , I was born in the DR but moved to the US when I was 3 years old. My mom is dominican and my dad is american. I am a US citizen but I'm not sure of my status in the DR. I do know I can stay here for any amount of time and there are no issues legally. I think there is a law that if you are born in the DR you are a Dominican citizen forever.. so.. in a few years when I get my ducks in a row, can I run for president?!?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't see why not once you get your DR birth certificate. Good luck with the President thing:smoke:.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm pretty sure you can't be a dual citizen and run for the Presidency in DR. One of Mr. AE's cousins is an ex-general [still young, about 50 now] in DR and very politically involved, his mother was Dominican, his father a US Navy Officer. He told us he never claimed his US citizenship because it would stop him from running for president.

Now, that was a long time ago, so things may have changed. Mr. AE thinks it's still that you can't be a dual-citizen, that you'd have to give up the US citizenship to run, but he's not sure.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Good point AE. Did not realize the DR would be against the dual citizenship for its Presidents. I thought I saw somewhere that Leonel had US Citizenship? Or was he just a resident or illegal alien when he lived in NY?

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
AlterEgo is right.When I was sworn in for my US Citizenship,I was told I could
not vote in my country of birth,or risk losing it.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Hypothetically speaking of course ;) , I was born in the DR but moved to the US when I was 3 years old. My mom is dominican and my dad is american. I am a US citizen but I'm not sure of my status in the DR. I do know I can stay here for any amount of time and there are no issues legally. I think there is a law that if you are born in the DR you are a Dominican citizen forever.. so.. in a few years when I get my ducks in a row, can I run for president?!?

Chapter V, Section I, Article 20
of the Constitution says that a person needs to renounce the acquired citizenship ten years prior to election, and to have lived in the DR for ten years before assuming the position.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006

Chapter V, Section I, Article 20
of the Constitution says that a person needs to renounce the acquired citizenship ten years prior to election, and to have lived in the DR for ten years before assuming the position.

However, if you become a Dominican citizen you can run for any other political office without these requirements, up to and including Vice President.

Matilda

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
However, if you become a Dominican citizen you can run for any other political office without these requirements, up to and including Vice President.

Matilda

Well, the poster asked about running for the presidency. No one runs for the VP slot; folks are chosen as running mates. However, since the VP is a heartbeat away from the top job, the same rules apply.

P?rrafo.-​
Las dominicanas y los dominicanos que adopten otra nacionalidad, poracto voluntario o por el lugar de nacimiento, podr?n aspirar a la presidencia yvicepresidencia de la Rep?blica, si renunciaren a la nacionalidad adquirida con diez a?os deanticipaci?n a la elecci?n y residieren en el pa?s durante los diez a?os previos al cargo. Sinembargo, podr?n ocupar otros cargos electivos, ministeriales o de representaci?ndiplom?tica del pa?s en el exterior y en organismos internacionales, sin renunciar a la
nacionalidad adquirida.