Shipping Car & House Hold Goods To DR

Jamie from Canada

Aug 15, 2012
We have a residency card and we are going to ship a 20 foot cantainer. In the container we are bring are 2008 Ford Escape and filling the remainder of the container with a few house hold goods. We were in touch with a Customs Broker.

Here is what they sent me. Does this sound correct ? Does anyone know if the things that are not covered will cost me loads od money. I'm concerned that they will green-go me.

Arriving via port of Rio Haina or Caucedo in Santo Domingo for delivery in Puerto Plata.

1x20 container with 1500 LBS HHG + 1 automobile**

Flat charge USD 1,900.00

** Automobile will be delivered outside arrival port.

Above rate excludes additional port charges, such as:
- Taxes/duties
- Storage charges
- Demurrage charges
- Chasis rental
- Shuttle service at the time of delivery

Once shipment arrives it is inspected by customs. We always recommend clients presence at this time.
Then customs proceeds to tell the amount to be paid for taxes.
At this moment so should go to customs to apply for the reduction on taxes. They do a little interview
to you and then we haver to wait for the documents grating the reduction.
This process may take several days (2,3,4).
Please have in mind that shipment may incur in additional port charges mentioned above.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It's never what they say,but what they DO that matters!
Those "Exclutions" would worry me,A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
I would recommend the OP look into having a shipping company send all items to DR individually rather than leasing a container. Ive researched the subject, spoken to many people and most have told me that it can turn into a headache for you trying to get your goods to DR this way.
1. The 20ft container will not be delivered to your home for you to fill. They will deliver it to a dock or shipper where you have to pay a moving company to take your goods there.

2. You have to know how to properly pack that container. You can't just treat it as packing a Uhaul truck and expect all your goods to be in good shape once they arrive in DR. You would have to hire a moving/shipping company to do this for you. Everything has to be strapped properly and fastened/lifted into the container.

3. Once it arrives in DR you are at the whim of inspectors (Aduanas). So off the bat you don't know how much your going to have to pay in taxes.

4. You have to hire another company to take it from the port in DR to you house. Again, more cost.

Ive looked into this, and Ive decided that I will just use a recognized shipper to send from door-to-door.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Didn't SKing say exactly that ?? for her shipment to Santiago?

Just eliminate the headaches....
(other than her wrestling a 24' U-Haul from VA to NYC)
She must been a sight at the truck stops:smoke:

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
DO NOT HANDLE IT YOURSELF Get somebody HERE WHO has done it and WHAT shipper they recommend !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
I BELIEVE THERE IS a time period Limitation ( i Heard check that Out) of getting that discount bringing goods ie residency CHECK THIS OUT PLEASE

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Shipment must be with in 6 months of residency for tax relief. We shipped a 40 footer 5 years ago with no problems and almost no taxes, and door to door servide. I think a lot depends on the shipper you use.
Shipped an auto one year later with LOTS of taxes.

Bob K

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Wendoline at www.hispaniolafreight.com can do the container work on the RD end.
You need to arrange for the container at the origin.

I used Benchmark Export - Stephanie Freight Forwarding, Import, International Shipping, Logistics | Benchmark Export Inc.

Yes, there is a time frame of 6 months, car no older than 5yrs (jan1 begins the year)
Therefore Jan 2013 allows 2008 for that year

Question for the OP. Was the car made in 2007 for the 2008 model year? That might cause a problem with the 5 year old rule.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Windy, I think if the paperwork reads 2008, they will just add 5 yrs to that.

I understand what you're saying... if the door sticker from the factory reads differently it might pose a problem.
In fact, my new purchase has 07-07 on the door sticker but the RD paperwork (matricula) reads 2009.

Similarly, those annual window stickers here in Rd always read last year - this year's sticker on the windshield reads 2011.

Its a mad, mad, mad world/country -- huh?

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Can anyone direct me to an official website that discusses the six month time limit related to residency? I'm done so I'm OK but my sister has put off her shipment and needs be certain before continuing to plan having her stuff sent over.... Thanks!