Traveling to DR for first time - basic advice needed

Greg81

Aug 12, 2012
I will be traveling to Santiago in a few weeks. I'll stay there for 2 -3 days. This will be my first time traveling to the DR. I have a passport, I called Verizon Wireless (my cell phone company) and figured out what I have to do to use my phone while I'm there. I plan to stay at the hotel Aloha Sol.

I plan to rent a car while there. I know some spanish but not much. I have an app for my phone which does a great job of translating english to spanish. This should help me.

My question for the forum is what other things do I need to know? What am I missing? Where do I convert dollars to pesos?

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Go into any major bank for convert dollars to pesos, I suggest Banco Popular, do NOT ask people on the street where to change money, it's just easier walking into a bank.

May 12, 2005
I do not recommend driving if this is your first time in country. Driving in DR is not for the meek. Taxis are plentiful and relatively inexpensive. You can change money at places called casas de cambio. DO NOT change on the street.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Greg ,
Thats quite a good hotel, if I remember correctly on Calle De Sol - in the very centre of town and lots of shops. Its not clear from your post what you are coming for! Holiday, busines or what? I agree with Frank - Taxis are fine and dont really cost you much. Driving in Santiago is a nightmare unless you know the streets and how the taxis behave then it can be fun. If you treat it as a rally course and have a good co-driver it can be fun. And remember to have two pesos to throw on the ground when the windscreen washer guys slap a sponge on your windscreen that you dont want cleaned! Throwing the money on the ground is an insult to them but they still scramble for it. The lights have changed by then so you are away.

For two days just enjoy and get a map - Berndtson Map - Dominican Republic has quite a good road map of Santiago - about 300 RD$ but well worth it.

HTH
OLLY and the Team

vida

Mar 18, 2010
Taxis can vary in price depending on the driver and what he thinks you will pay. Please remember there are no meters. Please ask 100% of the time the price before your ride.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Google this term: USD to DOP .. then find that rate and try to get within 10% of that when doing your conversion.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Aloha sol is nice, but the rooms can vary greatly. Some of the basic accommodations can be quite claustrophobic, meaning small and with limited to no windows. Hodelpa Centro Plaza (across the street) is newer, with larger rooms and newer facilities. AND, you get to use the pool at Gran Almirante (their flagship resort, about 5 minutes away).

Santiago is a very pleasant larger city in DR. Hope you have a good time.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I don't know what you will be doing but try not to carry too much money. $200 may not be too much for some foreigners but it's like monthly wage here.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Change your money in the banks only, not the hotel nor the street as others have noted.

I doubt the translator will help as you won't understand enough to be able to translate and anything you say most likely won't be understood. Not to worry, in the tourist hotels and areas there's usually someone who can speak a little English.

Depending on how much you plan on travelling around town a using taxi and/or the local "carros publicos" might be cheaper and better option. If you are planning on travelling outside of town a car might be better. Some might not recommend this but the first time I came to the DR I put almost a thousand miles on my rental with no problems driving all over the country for almost two weeks.

Good luck.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A whole lot depends on what you are going to do for such a short period of time.
-I agree with all that has been posted:
-No money changing on the street. Banks or Casa de Cambio (current rate 39 to 1)
-Taxis are RD$150 for most destinations in town.
-Don't carry anything you don't want to lose. Not your passport which should be in the safe.
-Go to an Orange store (across the street from your Hotel) and get the cheapest phone they have for like RD$300 and buy minutes with little cards..If you use your roaming privilege at US$7.50 a minute you will not be happy when you get home!!

Once you answer what you want to do for these few days, we can help you a lot more.

HB

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
also notify your bank that you will be traveling abroad. I never had a problem with citibank...but TD bank blocked my card when traveling internationaly. You may not have to use your card...but i learned it was good to have it available

I also dont recommend renting a car and driving on your first visit. Guaguas are very cheap and usualy clean. You can get around for about 70 pesos..depending on where you are going. Even a taxi isnt all that expensive. Just dont take a publico. THey will crowd you in with five other people in a back seat of a honda.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
also notify your bank that you will be traveling abroad. I never had a problem with citibank...but TD bank blocked my card when traveling internationaly. You may not have to use your card...but i learned it was good to have it available

I also dont recommend renting a car and driving on your first visit. Guaguas are very cheap and usualy clean. You can get around for about 70 pesos..depending on where you are going. Even a taxi isnt all that expensive. Just dont take a publico. THey will crowd you in with five other people in a back seat of a honda.

oh yeah...and def agree with the phone advise...i got socked with a 1,000 USD roaming fee one trip...what a nightmare

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
re: phone, as advised, don't use your U.S. phone / avoid roaming... but ALSO... if it's a smart phone, (you mentioned a phone app)... turn it off!!! the charges for data... even just having it update email etc. can be very high.

re: cash. The easiest, and probably best rate, is to just take cash out from an ATM... one attached to a bank, preferably inside for security reasons.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't recommend using an out of country credit card at all unless you have to. If you do use it, make sure you monitor the activity on it very carefully. Since you are here only for a couple of days using banks to change money or an ATM is fine as suggested. And great advice on the phone just to pick up a cheap one and use it.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
A Cambio (exchange bank) named RUSA is just up the street from Aloha Sol (uphill) on the same sidewalk.
Slightly better rate than banks, for what it's worth, but no waiting, no lines!

May 12, 2005
A Cambio (exchange bank) named RUSA is just up the street from Aloha Sol (uphill) on the same sidewalk.
Slightly better rate than banks, for what it's worth, but no waiting, no lines!

For the OP this will be your best location to change monies.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Guaguas are very cheap and usually clean. You can get around for about 70 pesos, depending on where you are going. Just don't take a publico. They will crowd you in with five other people in a back seat of a Honda.
Short guagua ride (4 or 5 mile) can cost as little as 20 pesos. On many routes there are far more publicos running than guaguas and they will get you to your destination much quicker (local guaguas can be painfully slow). Minimum fare is usually 25 pesos. They do not cram six people in the back as this poster states, just four, and you can overcome the over-crowding problem by buying two seats for 50 pesos. Still a tiny fraction of the price by private taxi and almost as quick.

Travel between main towns and cities by Metro and Caribe Tours large coaches is comfortable and very cheap.

Greg81

Aug 12, 2012
Olly: Thanks for all your help. This is a great forum. I'm going to Santiago primarily as a short vacation. I thought about going to one of the resort areas but they are probably too Americanized. I have always been attracted to spanish speaking countries and I'd also like to get out of the United States for a while. This country can really get on your nerves sometimes.