How Not To Become A Target Of Mafiosa, Corrupt Police, And Crime Syndicates?

LeeStetson

Jan 11, 2012
What can a person do to NOT become a target of the Mafiosa, Corrupt Police, and Crime Syndicates generally?

Walk around looking poor and not own any property?

What kinds of people do they generally try to prey upon?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Go slow. Don't become best buddies with the waiter or the waitress or the whatever at the hotel. If you are living in a condo, learn about the city where you are living. See who owns the hotels and where they live and play. If in a place like Santo Domingo frequent the recreational areas such as Mirador Sur and strike up conversations with the people there. Go to the cockfights at the Bonetti Arena on Luperon..do not bet, but watch the fights and learn what is happening. Be nice. Play golf at Las Lagunas and meet good people.

Same thing in Santiago. Go to Amaprosan, or the Golf Club or the Regional Theater, or the Jazz Night at SOHO where nicer people meet. Go to ball games in the winter. Sit in the Palco section, get season tickets and meet your neighbors. Go to the Centro Leon for their exhibitions and cultural events and meet people.

Avoid "tipicos, " Car washes, bachata or any music festivals not in the National Theater or Bellas Artes or the Regional Theater in Santiago. Be reserved. Eat breakfast at a nice hotel. Smile but do not be pushy.

Dress like a person of solid background: Khakis, shoes and socks, collared shirt or Polo. Neat and clean.No bling. Jeans are fine.

Join Gold's Gym....or practice a sport such as tennis. If you have bucks, join one of the clubs: Arroyo Hondo, Los Prados, Naco in Santo Domingo (Santo Dgo CC if you have BIG bucks), or the Tennis Club of POP or Gurabito or Amaprosan or Santiago Golf Club in Santiago.

Anything else? No need to associate with anyone in uniform.

HB

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
Good advise HB- my two cents is simple: don't get involved in buying or selling drugs, even small amounts for personal consumption, and you will you will reduce your risks by 90 % K

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I've lived here for 6 years and have never had an issue with the police. Then again I don't live in a tourist area nor am out late at night mostly. When I do run into the police, even late at night returning from abroad, I am always respectful and will tip RD50 if I think the police is looking for something.

In summary, being respectful goes a long way and also not being in the wrong place at the wrong time(ie leaving bars at 3 am).

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
There is a saying that goes "You cant cheat an honest man". If you are on the up and up you wont get involved with criminals. Stay away from lowlives and ghettos.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Rule #1: Trust no One
Lol.. What?

To answer your question.. Do exactly the same thing you do in your home country to avoid becoming a target. This also goes for any future place you will visit for the rest of your life. I don't talk to cops, mafia, criminals anywhere else in the world, why would I start here? Been coming to the DR for 26 years (my entire life) and lived here fulltime for the last 4 and NEVER had any issues with anyone.. and I stay out till 5am drinking at bars. It's all about who you associate with here, just like anywhere else.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
sayanora said: It's all about who you associate with here, just like anywhere else.

And that is just what I meant!! Well said, Sayanora.

HB

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Ah but you will always run into a con artist or six here - more in the nature of Get the Gringo dollar unless you |ONLY go to the country club with the internationals or hang with high end people.. not as if high end ie rich people are going to have anything to do with a foreigner.

My first two cons in the City I met were at the English speaking church.. certainly a place to meet good people.. Also a place for people to find you and "befriend" you and ask for a favor or six.. usually can you find me work or give me a referral or loan me some money.

Remember that this is a poor island - and that they are USED to asking foreigners for help - da me algo.. on the street or organized ngos which look for money on a grander scale,.

I have had elaborate cons run on me by University professors so education and standing are not a guarantee of not running a con. But I do think that they think of it as a con the way we do. As in they just do what the leaders do.

I am not sure that I am being clear. But it is difficult to find folks who do not expect you to give them something just because you are foreign. This is just the way of things. Avoid it from the beginning and you will have less trouble.

Do remember that this is a pirates cove.

Sometimes the ex pats are more dangerous than the locals.

I do not think that you will get involved with the cartels unless you are messing with their drug business.

But you most likely will meet more folks here that look at you as a way to get something for themselves

May 29, 2006
In general, Dominicans with families and "real" jobs will go out of their way to give you good advice and can find out about anyone you meet faster than an online background check. I'd say that without exception, every Dominican scammer I ran into was a single male over 25 and under 40 who wore clothes/jewelry beyond their apparent means with bad taste. Dominicans who claimed to be "promoters" were the worst.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
it is the same as at Home.
if you have the big bucks you will hang out at the Clubs/Locations where the people with the Bucks mingle, no low life uniforms there to ask for a buck or so.
if you do not have the bucks to hang out with the by HB correctly described people/clubs/locations, then you know from home what to avoid and for what to watch out, as you are used to the level where they hang out and try to make a buck or two on you.
in the highest dangers for such scammy you will always be when leaving drunk a bar or disco in a touristy area such as Punta Cana late night/early morning, driving yourself and your 'new friends/girlfriends' home, but you knew that you would have been in some danger doing the same back home, too, right?

Mike

ralhar35

Aug 18, 2012
"...but you knew that you would have been in some danger doing the same back home, too, right?"

I live in the UK and only criminals need to worry about the police here (some minorities may disagree with that statement, but that is another topic completely)... protecting myself from the police or anybody except criminals and lowlifes is a strange concept to me...

In what way do the police target foreigners? Who else in the goverment / services target foreigners?

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Both HB & Sayonara (my like button doesn't work on most threads):

Bang on! Well said! I'd only add don't ever associate with officials of any stripe.

I know it's not on topic.. but here's a tip: I find my "like" button often doesn't work when I navigate to a thread from the home page. If you go back and navigate to the same thread / post through the "forums" link, your button should work.

As for avoiding the troubles... I think applying H.B. tips, along with some common sense should work. Although I wouldn't normally fraternize with the police, I WOULD like to have the business card of a general or two in my wallet, "Just in Case".

Big_Poppi2

Mar 30, 2008
Aguilas Cibae?as
www.facebook.com
I apologize for not reading all the post but the question caught my attention and the original post really deserved a reply. Does anyone ever asked to be robbed, a target, abused, misused or objected to corruption by police or anyone else? Sure things that you would do to make yourself less likely to be robbed, but crime is random this is why it occurs almost all over the earth. If you are sensible and responsible then you should have less targeting to you or your life/love ones. I wish you the best on your travels to D.R., but you may find corrupt cops in any state in the country of your choice. How to avoid it? Pray and lean on God is probably the best. Dominicans are loving and respectful people. We welcome people of all races, and places, so you should feel safe and fine and welcomed also. God bless, and take care
Biggs

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Question 1- most people do ask for it with their behavior, not all
Question 2- read all previous posts, and search threads on safety and security

Praying will most likely not help much, not all Dominicans are loving and respectful.

God bless and take care

I apologize for not reading all the post but the question caught my attention and the original post really deserved a reply. Does anyone ever asked to be robbed, a target, abused, misused or objected to corruption by police or anyone else? Sure things that you would do to make yourself less likely to be robbed, but crime is random this is why it occurs almost all over the earth. If you are sensible and responsible then you should have less targeting to you or your life/love ones. I wish you the best on your travels to D.R., but you may find corrupt cops in any state in the country of your choice. How to avoid it? Pray and lean on God is probably the best. Dominicans are loving and respectful people. We welcome people of all races, and places, so you should feel safe and fine and welcomed also. God bless, and take care
Biggs