Grocery/Food Shopping Costs Samana/Las Terrenas

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
Could someone share with me their experience on food costs - both at the supermercado and at restaraunts - compared to prices at Cabarete/Sosua? I have experience in those markets and none in Las Terrenas and Samana. Exploring moving to the quieter Northeast.

Much appreciated.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Maybe 10 to 15 % mor? Generally than Cabarete SOSUA BUT I just Camer?n nac? FROM Las terrazas and i live in Cabarete

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Filling the stomach

Could someone share with me their experience on food costs - both at the supermercado and at restaraunts - compared to prices at Cabarete/Sosua?

I do not know the current prices in Sos?a, but in LT prices are no longer so much higher (if at all) than anywhere else due to a good competition between several supermarkets.
It is all about knowing where to shop and eat.

Make friends with "Yanadu" and learn how to live on 2.99 $ a day and you'll be surprised what your stomach can digest... :laugh:

donP

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Many prices are the same. Beer on the beach is cheaper at LT. Plato del dia about 150 in LT at the moment. Fish, whole, 80 pesos lb LT. Prawns 150-200 lb. Beef mince 100 pesos lb LT ( 50 pesos enough for 2 meals ). Huge mangos 30 pesos.
Lobster 200 - 240 lb.

yapask1

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Many prices are the same. Beer on the beach is cheaper at LT. Plato del dia about 150 in LT at the moment. Fish, whole, 80 pesos lb LT. Prawns 150-200 lb. Beef mince 100 pesos lb LT ( 50 pesos enough for 2 meals ). Huge mangos 30 pesos.
Lobster 200 - 240 lb.

yapask1

50 pesos more for a Plato del dia in LT than in Cabarete? Say it isn't so. Have you considered moving?
On second thought...

What exactly is the price of a Presidente on the beach in LT, which you didn't mention by price?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Seaweed in LT is free, and of much higher quality.

Apparently fish is more expensive in LT, but if you catch the prawns yourself, you can bbq them on the beach on some eco-friendly charcoal (personally I would use driftwood, as this is free as well).

BelgianK

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
Thanks everyone for the great info... Belgian...your wit is great... I can only imagine how much you have saved over the years in the Gourmet Dining Plan...Not long after I posted i realized this was the travel page...not the living page.. glad i got any replies..

I found the webpage for Lindo Supermarket.. looks very nice... or nicer than Yanet at Cabarete...

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Beer on the beach is 100 grande that is.
The choice between supermarkets and many small traders is yours. In LT the main gringo supermarket is Lindo although the others are catching up quickly.
Supermercado Lindo - Las Terrenas Live ! - El mercadosuper !
With the many fresh foods available 200 pesos or less per person per day for food is quite a generous budget.

Its the start of the mango season and there are many fine mangos in the DR.

yapask1

bluewater101

Aug 26, 2012
Thank you for this information, saves me from asking :)
flags_0
flags_0
.jpg