Postal solutions?

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
Could I ask the different solutions residents use to replace the inadequate postal service?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Could I ask the different solutions residents use to replace the inadequate postal service?
Where are you sending from/to?
Caribe Express is a very dependable in-country courier service.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Metropac for the places Caribe Express doesn't reach :)

For receiving post from overseas, there are several companies that provide you with a Miami P O Box address, and they courier the post to the DR.

PO Box International and Mail Boxes Etc. are the ones I've used.

Jan 17, 2009
To send letters and documents abroad, we use the EMS (express mail service) in the Post Office. While I never googled how this works, EMS seems to be every where as an optional fast delivery in Latin American countries. We sent documents to the US many, many times, and small packages. They always arrived. It's not as fast as a 48-hour service; it takes about a week to the US, but it works great and it is not as costly as Fedex. I think we pay $18 (US) for a small package or documents.

PS: for packages in the DR, we use Metro. Be aware though that neither Metro nor Caribe Express provides insurance. If something gets lost, you lose.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Caribe Tours is extemely good.

My lawyer letters go from SD to the north coast for about $1... same day service, better than any postal service I know of.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
To send letters and documents abroad, we use the EMS (express mail service) in the Post Office. While I never googled how this works, EMS seems to be every where as an optional fast delivery in Latin American countries. We sent documents to the US many, many times, and small packages. They always arrived. It's not as fast as a 48-hour service; it takes about a week to the US, but it works great and it is not as costly as Fedex. I think we pay $18 (US) for a small package or documents.
I wish I'd known that - I recently had to send some documents to Paraguay (The employee said "?Eh? ?D?nde es eso?") and used TNT - the cheapest option offered by Vimenca. It cost RD$1,500 - the other options were around RD$2,500.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

PS: for packages in the DR, we use Metro. Be aware though that neither Metro nor Caribe Express provides insurance. If something gets lost, you lose.

How large of a package can be sent using EMS to the US?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
If people want to send me something they just put in in the normal mail/post overseas and write the address as the gringa with the big dogs and the name of the town. Within 2 weeks some chap turns up at the door with the letter or parcel. I have no idea who he is or how he gets my mail as there is no post office in town, but nothing has been lost yet. He gets 50 pesos from me for his effort!

Matilda

Bahoruco

Jun 24, 2011
Other thread with positive feedback on INPOSDOM EMS

You can also check this thread with generally positive feedback on INPOSDOM EMS.

I definitely recommend INPOSDOM EMS for outgoing international package mail.
I don't have experience with incoming mail, but heard more mixed reports about it. So I decided to use CPS for incoming mail.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
Incoming international parcels, i have heard there are cheaper options than a PO box, or paying high courier prices, but the ins and outs of how to go about this I do not yet know. For instance I will prefer to buy my clothes and footwear online from the US, but standard courier prices are very high.

Also there will be standard mail from the UK, but paperwork, not substantial parcels.

I would appreciate specific details on how this is done as I am not familiar with US courier services, the national mail service or any other postal services available in the US. I have read some threads but much of it is something that falls beyond my understanding of how it really works. There is undue presumption we are all familiar with these types of arrangements.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Incoming international parcels, i have heard there are cheaper options than a PO box, or paying high courier prices, but the ins and outs of how to go about this I do not yet know. For instance I will prefer to buy my clothes and footwear online from the US, but standard courier prices are very high.

Also there will be standard mail from the UK, but paperwork, not substantial parcels.

I would appreciate specific details on how this is done as I am not familiar with US courier services, the national mail service or any other postal services available in the US. I have read some threads but much of it is something that falls beyond my understanding of how it really works. There is undue presumption we are all familiar with these types of arrangements.
This is exactly how I use my P O Box services: to receive a small amount of business correspondence from the UK (you pay a small fee per item, maybe 25 or 40 pesos) and online purchases from the US. In many cases shipping is free within the US, and I've learned to factor in the additional cost of couriering the packages to the DR. I buy mainly books (much less now since I bought a Kindle), some small items like vitamins/supplements, Indian spices, water filters, minor electronic accessories like external disks, some clothing and footwear, sheets, one magazine subscription for my son.

I rarely send anything.

The only cheaper alternative would be the regular Dominican postal service, which seems to work for some people, but I choose not to take that risk.

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
Thankyou,
So how exactly does someone go about setting this P.O. Box up? To who and where would I go in Santo Domingo?

Bahoruco

Jun 24, 2011
Other similar forwarding services (as mentioned by Chirimoya), all in our around Roberto Pastoriza (Santo Domingo):
- CPS - I always used them, never had problems. You register and pay a subscription fee (different subscription models), and then a fee per mail you receive.
- Jetpack - No experience with them

I agree it is the best option for incoming international mail.
For outgoing mail parcels Inposdom is a good option, for outgoing letters I don't have experience with them.